Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Default WoW Emulators

Anyone know of any decent World of Warcraft emulators? Unfortunately, Googling for "World of Warcraft emulator" just yields a bunch of voting sites

The one used by AniWoW works pretty well, but they no longer show what they are using in their MOTD.

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
shaznito
Sarnak

Yes, This Is the best WoW server out there you can run, http://www.mangosproject.org/forum/
If you want I can share my pre-compiled BIN files with scriptdev2.

This Is the best database http://www.udbforums.org
They have a awsome community with plenty of help (same as mangos

Once logged In you will be able to view the forums.

Have Fun!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:38 AM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMetal View Post
Anyone know of any decent World of Warcraft emulators? Unfortunately, Googling for "World of Warcraft emulator" just yields a bunch of voting sites

The one used by AniWoW works pretty well, but they no longer show what they are using in their MOTD.
Just to throw another option at you might want to check this out as well
Code:
http://www.ascentemu.com/forums
Went to this instead of mangos awhile back, each have pros and cons.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:58 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

the problem i saw with ascent is they only build for windows and the setup guides all assume windows. mangos, otoh, supports windoze and linux, with many contributors on both sides of the fence.

== sfisque
Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfisque View Post
the problem i saw with ascent is they only build for windows and the setup guides all assume windows. mangos, otoh, supports windoze and linux, with many contributors on both sides of the fence.

== sfisque
I been using mangos for years.. it's the best hands down.
it's very hard to configure and a real pain if you mess something up.
the only way to fix a small goof is to reinstall everything.
but mangos is the very best and only chioce if you want a really decent and
somewhat stable server.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default ...

note about linuix: I switched Over to gentoo for about 3 days on a test server and it was so frustrating to install.
once i had it installed it was very complacated to operate.
even basic functions like compileing or getting DHCP to discover my LAN got to be troublesome...
finally after playing with it for over 3 weeks and still nowhere near a decent server I gave up on it and switched back to windoze...
yes its slower.... but a lot more easier to maintain and operate.
anyone who runs linuix has a LOT of free time on there hands is all I can say and there probbly got pocket protectors
in there front shirt. I for one don't have the time or skillz to run that Monster OS and keep a decent server running.
I know it's a good OS and people swaer by it, but dammm it's not ver friendly and to complacated for us hightech rednecks.
the new thing out is SWG it's on core 3 and a lot of fun from what I hear.
it's going to be my next big project since all the other emus seem to be fadeing a bit in popularity maybe it will be the spark that ignites my userbase again.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfisque View Post

== sfisque
Ascent builds for Linux too. Just not as easy as F7.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 PM
number6
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdabbs65 View Post
note about linuix: I switched Over to gentoo for about 3 days on a test server and it was so frustrating to install.
Speaking as someone that's used UNIX since an original Bell Labs Version 7 in the early 80s, Gentoo wasn't the right place to start. I had to test some software on Gentoo last year and it took me bloody ages to get a VM set up. People like it because it is completely customisable and everything you install has been compiled by you, if you like, so you can trust it.

However, for day to day stuff I much prefer CentOS (the free alternative to Redhat Enterprise). Should you ever feel masochistic enough to try again, please give it a look. I would never consider running the emu, or any other server software, on Windows to be perfectly honest. It's a toy in comparison.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

must agree on the "toy" reference (man its been ages since i heard windoze called a 'toy').

been running slackware for over 10 years myself, and TBH, yeah, its a bear when you first start out, but eventually, its like riding a bike. one of the nice things i love about linux is you dont have to scrub the machine to upgrade the OS. ive yet to see a clean upgrade between windows versions that didnt involve reinstalling lots of thirdparty apps and what-not. with my server, i reinstall the OS and remount my ancillary partitions and go back up and running without having to reinstall non-OS stuff. but you have to cut your teeth to get there, just like any OS. i'm sure any hard core windows guru can do stuff that is just amazing, just like any other OS.

ending thought: doesnt matter what OS you use, ultimately you have to spend the time if you want to get the most out of it.

and i dont have a pocket protector -- in fact i wear sandals and a fleece hoodie to work every day, :P

== sfisque
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 PM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default Update!

I took your advice and tried CentOS before throwing in the towel on Linix for once and for all.
Man what a differance. The Graphical GUI made a huge improvement on navagation and configureing things.
the install by network was a breeze... took about 5 hours but worked like a charm.
I have to say it's pretty dam good for free and I will be useing it
on my IBM Netfinity 5000 for now on to run muds and perform web services.
thanks for the tip on CentOS I would have never known about it.
things sure have improved in the redhat world since I last visited it.

Sidenote:
Spartans and Jesus is the only men I know of that can get away with weaing sandals.
I don't think guys should wear them in public, mens feet are just to hairy ..
well mine are like Halfling's feet and I'd never wear sandals even on the beach.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 01-17-2008, 03:47 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

the trick is to be soooo damn hot, that they never look at your feet. :P

== sfisque