Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Feature Requests

Development::Feature Requests Post suggestions/feature requests here.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Default Unique zone - can it use unique rules?

Is there a way to make one zone utilize a different set of rules/variables? Like PVP = yes, lootdrop = yes, rapidregen = no, etc...

I only want one zone, not all of them to have these
Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Just was curious because you can have multiple ruleset values...but didn't know if that was just so you can backup a ruleset for the entire server.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Or would this make a good update request? Check which rule_set to apply to the zone.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Tharkun
Hill Giant

not sure off hand and not near my DB, but I would check the Zone table for an entry that would indicate a rule set difference
Old 09-28-2009, 08:39 PM
So_1337
Dragon

No, there isn't a variable like that in the table. I do believe you got Trevius thinking about it, though =)
Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Tharkun
Hill Giant

that's and exciting proposition
Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
trevius
Developer

Honestly, this is the first time I have even seen this thread lol. I do try to read most posts on these forums, but sometimes a few slip through the cracks :P It was just coincidence that I made my post a couple of days after this one. I was originally wanting to make just a zone table setting for adjusting the BestZ setting at first, and then figured it would be nice to just have the option to be able to use any custom rule setting for any zone you want.

I am pretty sure it would be possible to do this, since each zone loads rules as they boot up. It is mostly just a matter of figuring out the best way to implement it.

I think a feature like this would be awesome, since it would let servers set it so you could do stuff like only being able to level to certain levels above the normal cap of the server in certain zones. So, for instance, you could have your normal server level cap set to 70 and then in 1 zone set the cap to 75 and even set a heavy exp penalty there to make going from 70 to 75 a bit of work if you wanted. Or, you could set certain zones to have increased crit rates for melee and casters. Or, some zones could allow higher caps on Regen or Mod2 stats. Or, you could have a couple of zones that have exp penalties on death and leave a corpse even if your other zones on the server do not. Or, even set certain zones to give increase group exp bonuses, etc etc. I am not sure how well special rule settings like this would work for every rule, but I think a good portion of them would work just fine as being set differently on a per-zone basis.

I think that by setting something like this up, it might open up more custom rule settings that we wouldn't normally have considered, since it would have affect the entire server. With the option to set special rules per zone, we could set rules that do things like Trivial Loot features (ChaosSlayer request), Stopping Buff Timers, and plenty of other unique zone settings. The nice thing about this option is that we could implement special zone settings without having to keep adding new special fields to the zone table every time we want a new feature like "canbind", "cancombat", "hotzone", "peqzone" or whatever. All new stuff like that could go right into a rule and be added if/when needed.

I may try to start looking into what it would take to create something like this, but it probably wouldn't be for quite a while. I am really busy with content for my server to finally make use of the SoF stuff that I worked hard to help get working. I also have a few other things that I really want to code first anyway. Stuff like quest commands for changing and saving facial features, and maybe more armor tint and armor texture stuff as well. I may even start with the facial feature stuff somewhat soonish, but it would be a while before I will have time to look into this rule stuff. I have never even looked at how rules are handled, so it might even be above my head anyway :P

I am going to move this thread to the feature requests section.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

I believe we did something fun like this on raid addicts, the code would be extremely simple to reproduce and i'll look into getting a repost of it.

The things we've had were: Force race on zonein, Flymode for everyone in that zone, GMSpeed for everyone in that zone, and PVP enabled zones. More can be added easily as they are just things in the zone header files that need tweaking, such as regen for specific zones, etc. I believe stuff like this would actually be good in the custom code section.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 PM
trevius
Developer

I don't think the general idea of having zones load on a per-zone basis should be in the custom code section. It would allow us to remove some stuff that is hard coded right now like stopping buff timers in bazaar and such without having to add endless fields to the zone table as has been done in the past to make special properties for each zone. Even special stuff like the whole discussion on handling Pets in PoAir could be done with a system like this and not need to have special scripting hacks in place or hardcoded stuff for specific zones.

Though, the other stuff you mentioned like special rules (flymode, gmspeed, etc) should probably be in the custom code section. But, if we can get a system like this working properly, I think it could open up the project to more customization without really affecting the non-custom servers out there. Even special stuff like you mentioned could be added as optional custom settings in the standard SVN code to be used on a per-zone basis.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Thems some awesome custom rule ideas. It could have a fun effect to play around with on custom servers. I would love to play/work on a server that takes full advantage of this if it is implemented.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Awesome, hopefully it can be sooner than later. I'm about to make a HUGE release after I release a beta test on my server. Having this capability will greatly increase its usability. I am hoping to finish something that EMU hasn't seen before, or at least in its totality. Is this also something that can be done to have a versioned "variables" table, not just rule_values?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

1) Modify zones, add column of UseRuleset then it can be 1-999

Then you can have world bootup with = 1 or 0 (would have to be locked, as it wouldn't get to that rule and if it was something other than 0/1 then it could infa-loop)