Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:33 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

PEQ but more accurate :P
Old 02-08-2016, 09:31 PM
GrayKitri
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerjz3 View Post
Sanctuary meets these requirements. It is fully custom, not an ounce of EverQuest content remains. ~30 different classes to choose from as well.
I've been playing a little bit there, but i'm reallllllly not a fan of tradeskills. Will see where it goes.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

...........you don't have to do tradeskills....shit drops items in the world.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 AM
ak48
Sarnak

People are nice enough, most are willing to make you something if you just ask (and provide the materials).
Old 02-14-2016, 09:57 PM
Ketzerei84
Fire Beetle

1) Instanced old-school raids. everything from naggy and vox and phinny on up. Using the gates of discord /dz type instancing

2) Retuned raid content - for 12-18 players as server populations tend to be low, but an active dev team could respond to rising population by retuning raids for larger groups if needed.

3) TLP-type progression. Start it in classic, release stuff based on a server(read forum?) vote minimum 3 months after each 'launch'

4) Open race/class combos(sortof) e.g. open up ALL evil/good classes to ALL 'neutral' races(because half elf SK ftw)

5) Start the game with race/class combos in. Sure it's classic, but iksar, vah shir, froggies, beastlords and berserkers are getting added later on. Incorporate them from the start.

6) Retuned epics. Some epic quests were far too easy(cough rogue), some were hell on wheels(cough SK). Some are imbalanced(BST/Ber) compared to their counterparts.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 PM
nalbikk
Fire Beetle

I am a casual player. I dont have much time to play with work, school, and life responsibilities.

I prefer solo play without boxing. Bot/mercs would be ok (with limits). More emphasis on grouping and questing. I love challenging dungeon crawls with good groups.

With the lack of gaming time it would be nice if certain time sinks were removed. corpse runs, long runs (not the zone command or a one teleporter for everywhere, but a system of teleporters between cities, etc)

I don't want everything to be easy or given everything for free (either money or playtime). But I dont have time to box and gear up several characters.

As to content. I am fine with anything. I also like clickies, but who doesn't?

I have always thought it would be awesome to make the AA span all levels. Also a way to upgrade spells. Like each spell could have a few ranks. Either for more heal, damage, duration, etc. This would make it optional to level slowly or quickly.

I am just curious is it possible to have a server that would attract both casual and hardcore players?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Tibbz
Fire Beetle

As most of us who play this Emulator are progressing in age, kids are a problem. While I LOVE p99 its just nearly impossible to really play it with work, kids, yard work, social obligations etc etc. Maybe its just me but I would love something like this (been playing casual dreams, its pretty good for a casual player)
- Soloable with difficulty. Reds should do some damage to you, while you can plow through blues
- No box or limit boxing to 1, bots maybe later on
- raid mobs or zones require a group of strong players. Instanced
- If instanced raids then all good, but if not put a 1 hour spawn on these mobs
- Progression in the sense that it starts with classic (a la p99), adds kunark a few months in, then Vellious, etc.; after releases make requirements to travel to these expansions
- kill the world drops like Defiant gear... go get your stuff and or get a small economy going
- Slow XP. I like how Casual Dreams did the XP (all zones are HOT zones) but no excessive XP gains.
- Kill Corpse runs with fire
- add some nifty custom stuff (updated classes, zones, armor/weapon quests etc)
- Use ROF/UF clients
- Kill #peqzone and replace with porters at spires/rings
- No Here take this item while your a noob for some easy button time
- no level requirements on gear for some twinkage (but level require procs/clickies)
- Hub/main town zone with vendors, tradecrafts, places to set up shop etc would be nice. Most of these servers have lower populations so a small hub would make it seem more active.
- GM events!

Old 02-26-2016, 02:48 PM
jpyou127
Discordant

Thumbs up Tibbz!

Celestial
Old 03-03-2016, 01:40 PM
br00kster
Fire Beetle

Pretty much everything Tibbz said, adult life and responsibilities get in the way of hardcore.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 PM
omfgitsyb
Fire Beetle

Tibbz nailed it on the head for me as well.

Although I remember playing on a server a good 3-4 years ago (Gnomish Proving grounds maybe) and they had a Deleveling system that awarded you a charm that was more powerful the more you deleveled and leveled back to max. For people like me who only like to play 1 Character. It gave you some char progression while waiting for the next expansion or so forth.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:07 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Default Classic ++

-- Level cap of 72. Levels get progressively more expensive. From 71-72 would be quite an accomplishment in and of itself. Each level should *FEEL* like a real accomplishment right from the moment you ding.

-- AA's would be faster than levels, but still slow. By the time you max all AA's, you have effectively earned as much experience as going from 1 - 72.

-- Class revamps. Warriors should have essentially 3 spec's:
1) Full offense - a.k.a. Berzerker, just absolutely no separate class
2) Balanced mode - daily life of a working warrior -- Get_It_Done!
3) Full defense - Take a horrendous pounding for the better good...
--//- Each class to receive some tangible re-balance.

-- Wizards and Druids:: literal quest based ports. Know those spires and circles that never did anything...? Add in more as well, but not always easy of course. Some of these should be pure player choice as to where the port point is, and non trivial to setup.

-- Healers with teeth - Even clerics should be able to level solo! And by level, I mean level well, not kicking and screaming for every single fight!

-- Paladins -- Discussion needed, but a true holy warrior of THEIR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that should really mean something literal to how each paladin TYPE plays the game.
----------> AND SO FORTH AND SO ON <----------

-- Deity: Each god should make a huge impact on spells for that God/ Race / Class combination.
-- Race: Each race to have actual real game play differences. An Ogre warrior would likely do much better with 2h weapons than an Elf would...

------------------------------------***------------------------------***-------------------------------------

Remember Giants Vs. Dragons? Add in real Deity interactions and really mix it all up!

-- Re-do classic up through Vellious in a sane and sensible way. Keep the flavor but enhance it for the above mentioned rebalance.

-- Continue the story, but bring to a conclusion the Giants Vs. Dragons part of it. Then move Deities solidly into the picture. A picture that still very much has the concluded Giants Vs. Dragons "world" pushing forward. Make this transition able to be very different on a Per Server basis: just in case you should decide to bring up more than one server.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:48 PM
anoh92
Fire Beetle

I'm probably late to the party, but I've been deployed for the past year. I've been putting together some ideas for a server. Currently it would be just me trying to adjust everything, populate zones, overhaul skills, spells, AAs, all of that. However if I can pull it off (or get some help) then I'm sure the server would be a blast. Here's some ideas I have for the server so far:

* Progression Based - The max level will start off at 50 or 51 and only classic zones will be available. There will be more of a focus on the story more than leveling or gear. After a certain amount of time or a certain number of events are completed a final GM Event will take place to unlock further content.

* Skill, AA, and Spell Overhaul - The plan is to customize as many spells, skills, and AAs as possible. While it would take some time to fully implement a completely custom spell book for each class, tweaking current spells to be more balanced would be a priority. Custom spells/skills/AAs would be released slowly over time.

* Completely Custom Content - When I say completely custom I mean custom mob spawning, paths, quests, items, etc. It's a long shot and a lot of work, but I have plenty of experience with world building and have a lot of content already prepped, it's just a matter of implementing it.

* Solo and Group Play - While I understand the community is small and those who play are busy, I also enjoy the idea of people coming together to accomplish things. That being said, the server will be mostly playable alone, but certain things will either require a few players or at least one high level player. I intend to allow up to 2 characters per IP, possibly more if population is too low. There will be no bots/mercs, but there may be certain clicky items that will summon pets for classes that don't normally get them.

* Active Admin - Like I said before I would be working alone (as of now), but I would still be very active in the community. I enjoy making things others can enjoy and would take all feedback seriously.

* Hub and Quality of Life - Even though I'm not a huge fan of handing the players everything, I believe in some Quality of Life improvements. The hub zone would serve many purposes, but I don't know that I would include a buff bot. I already have a quest in mind that would provide a clicky Gate item, soulbinders would be in major zones, Druids and Wizards would be your best ride again, translocators would be a thing but only to major zones.

* Crafting System - Crafting would serve a purpose. There would be a complete list of recipes for most things, but there would be rare recipes as well that you need to quest or explore to find. Some crafted items would be just as good, if not better than loot found on mobs, and some would only be obtainable via crafting. My hope is that an in-game economy forms where players can buy/trade each other for goods and services.

* Roleplay Style - Again, story would be a major part of the server. Everything and everyone would have a back story, books would be full of lore, and the focus would really be on the adventure and the story more than the gear and the level. Not only that, but No Drop/No Trade would be strictly limited to Artifacts. Weapons such as epics and a few other items would be marked as Artifacts, but everything else could be freely traded. I was thinking of removing level requirements, but implementing level recommendations so that people aren't gearing level 1 characters with raid gear and they benefit completely from it.

I'm sure I'm missing a few things here, but it's late for me. I'd love to hear some feedback now so I know which direction to go. I know I can't please everyone, but any input will help!
Old 06-26-2016, 11:31 AM
EQEMU2010
Sarnak

I really enjoy servers with random loot,and unthinkable stuff, I Like Kimura Genie only the other hand I always have enjoyed P99,other progression based servers etc but sometime its nice to have a server with a special twist to mess around on.

The thing ive noticed a lot of the time there isnt enough content to give GM/Dev time to keep the players busy so they don't have viable time to create more or work on next expansion/area of their server.

Ive seen a lot of locked servers so maybe someone will be able to create a server that lasts 1 month, 3months, 6months, a year or longer its hard to hold attention of people a lot of what can be done has been and if it hasn't its time issue most likely on GMs/DEVs or having enough time to get what they want into the server.

I guess if I had to list some servers I have played for a bit that stand out...

P99
The Hidden Forest
EZ Server
S2K
Kimuras
KPEmu
EQ Awakened and other one similar
Eriviyn
Lootfest
Blood of Turmoil
Wrath had one or two that was pretty fun cant remember the names.

There is also a few others I cant remember the names of...

Old 06-26-2016, 09:15 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

When I develop content I think of three major things.
•Will it be fun
•Will it be unique
•Will it have a risk vs reward worth doing

So saying that I really enjoy creating content that will bring people together as a community so that they may tackle mechanics they have not yet seen. I do not like just putting in the generic tank and spank bosses as loot pinata's but rather concentrate more on creating mechanics that will have people think an event through.

Another thing I enjoy is the lore. I like creating my own or even putting a spin on existing eq lore to give content a theme so to speak. Personally I have always loved the lore of eq and to build upon that is very fun imo.

Hub zones are a nice quality of live improvement for a smaller server and I dont oppose a buff bot as long as there are limitations. For example on my server our buff but does not cast the best buffs available but its enough to give a soloer a little bit of an edge. Doing this I see players doing MGB's in the hub and players asking for buffs in ooc. The sense of community on a server is what really makes any server shine imo.

Economy is also something my team and I have been discussing. Im sure all of you guys know that creating an active economy in everquest, especially on a smaller server geared towards small group play is a task in itself. I would love to be able to create a thriving economy that keeps the platinum moving constantly.

Gm involvement is another thing that is hard to achieve on a smaller server since most only have one or two dedicated gm's to do the day to day activities associated with said server. I have in the past and even now try and recruit helpful, trusted members of a servers community and start them off as a guide so that they can grow into a developer over time.

So that is just a small part of what I think a successful server should have. There is always more but to avoid creating a huge wall of text i'll keep it short.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Tibbz
Fire Beetle

Per my above post Furn has done an AMAZING job (still a work in progress) rehasing classic EQ into a Solo, with challenge, server. Raid mobs are a group event and the community is small but very good. if you want a change of pace I highly suggest you try The Vengeful Soloist. I have been playing for months now and still highly enjoy it!