Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Lane
Sarnak

Thanks every one for the great feedback. I'm not the one designing the server, just a player, but figured some one needs to poll together what the general population would like to see.

From what I gather most people want something innovative and at least 2-3 teams (haven't heard any one vote for FFA yet,)

I played on VZ so I loved race wars, but ultimately I feel due to emu population 4 teams would be a bit too much. I was more in favor of what rhyotte said and go for a SZ themed server were your team is based on your diety. The problem with diety based PvP is evil is at an advantage is classic. It becomes not so bad in Kunark due to Paladin's becoming a heavy hitter for the good side though xD.

Also, on P99 forums, Nilbog actually had a cool idea for geographical mapped PvP. The only problem with that is the server, from what I gather, is going for more of a classic approach so I'm not sure how the lore would tie in. Here's the pic he made.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Lane
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlegit83 View Post
loved TZ, was in human team guilds and a couple of 'darky' guilds.

The problem with PvP on EMU is there are so many freakin cheaters which takes the fun out of it. There were probably cheaters back in the day, but I bet there were far fewer percentage wise.
Dev them have disabled maps so you can't use MQ2 maps. Also, they have some sort of anti-hacking logging method that if you loaded MQ2, they would know of it pretty quickly and you would be either suspended or banned.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:11 PM
satora54
Sarnak

The problem is, I'm not going to take all the time to max out any toon just because it's a pvp server.

Not sure why most people have avoided a custom server instead of being like every other server with the small added bonus of pvp.
Frankly, i don't want to play another progression server, they're a dime a dozen.
A new idea is needed in my opinion, higher xp rate, gear drops to balance pvp etc.
but I do think that teams could be a good idea, Whether it's based on race or deity.

Last edited by satora54; 12-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

With the small population of emu and the proposed deity faction war's, i'd suggest going with maybe 3 teams with 3 factions.

So Starting off you would be agnostic. evil, neutral or good. The later on you could do some sort of quest for the deity you choose to be. Make Deity's evil, neutral or good as well. So in the end you have a pretty big pool of possible outcomes.

Evil race, good god
Evil race neutral god
Evil race, Evil god

etc etc.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrayas View Post
With the small population of emu and the proposed deity faction war's, i'd suggest going with maybe 3 teams with 3 factions.

So Starting off you would be agnostic. evil, neutral or good. The later on you could do some sort of quest for the deity you choose to be. Make Deity's evil, neutral or good as well. So in the end you have a pretty big pool of possible outcomes.

Evil race, good god
Evil race neutral god
Evil race, Evil god

etc etc.
With the DotaQuest server my aim is 3 to 5 teams most likely maybe even higher 6, 9, 10, or 15 though I'd like for it to divide by either 3 or 5. I really don't want a 2 sided pvp system though. I don't mind utilizing restricted 2 sided pvp battle encounters between factions, but collectively I want to use a more complex strategic social warfare pvp system. Setting it up pvp in a good vs evil faction standing that determines who they could attack or not attack would be cool to do I believe.

I'd love to see something like pure evil unable to attack anyone with a negative standing below neutral and pure good unable to attack anyone with a positive standing above neutral. Neutral itself would only be able to attack others up to about 50/50 good/evil faction standing.

The whole good vs evil vs neutral (grey area) is a great system though for pvp though. I really feel pvp is at it's best in a mmo with that type of environment. Could always be done in other ways as well. You could probably take the standard UO blue vs grey vs red system and incorporate that into a form of EQ pvp around your faction standing.

Blue you'd earn over time, but killing a innocent player would revert you all the way back to neutral/grey after so many kills in that manner you'd turn red and the more of them you accumulate would raise the severity of it and penalties upon death. The murder counts themselves could decay and atrophy over time like they do in UO.

Blues could probably earn special items, but they could be murdered for them. Reds probably couldn't earn special items, but any of the ones they acquired maybe they could be augmented if they met the faction standing requirements. Reds would probably lose like a 10% of stats/xp if killed maybe just stats if killed by anyone other than a fully aligned Blue player.

I hate WoW style PVP it was too much of a pure gear check with no real adrenaline rush to it. What made games like UO and DAOC great is that rush of being blind sided and just being unexpectedly steamrolled or running for you damn life to escape or overcoming crazy odds that you outright should have probably succumbed to.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

When Velious came out...the struggle of Giant Vs. Dragon became a major focus...then the next expansion it seemed to just dry up and blow away unfinished. I know a lot of us old timers who would enjoy a continuation of that. It also lends itself nicely to PvP with PvE added in for spice.

Neutrality is nearly chaos personified if done right... take the cat city and mod it a bit, make it a neutrality city where all kinds of stuff can happen... maybe even take shadowhaven..?

Personally, I think base spells should be "grey" and speciality spells should be Faction // Deity to make things most interesting. A lot of the old quests from Velious were reasonably cool, but could be made really excellent with the addition of PvP carefully mixed in.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Watching this and the thread located @ http://www.eqpvp.com/index.php/topic,1713.0.html

and will be taking in some ideas and fleshing them out over the coming week. If anyone has any ideas to add to that thread please do.

Thanks

/dev/n00b
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 AM
haggzor
Fire Beetle

Default Spun up new server today

I'm looking through the new server data and I can't seem to figure out which data flag you even set for creating a PvP server. Is it the GuildWars flag? Something else? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:17 PM
knowom
Discordant

Wow been awhile since I made some posts in this thread, but it's nice to see some of the stuff devn00b did with the ideas talked about. Love the town wars and bounties thing you've got going on and team pvp in general though it could use better balancing. I've got additional idea's in mind to expand upon what your all ready going on with Rolfron Zek a bit further somethings to think about. Those are nice custom touches and I think that's a step in the right direction along with additional mixtures of nostalgia meets customizing a little bit of a 50/50 blend to me is quite ideal one part familiar one part new and exciting. This server is very intriguing.

Instead of breaking teams up into Good Team: Erudites, Humans, Half Elves, Halflings
Neutral Team: Barbarians, Dwarves, Wood Elves, High Elves, Gnomes
Evil Team: Dark Elves, Ogres, Trolls, Iksars

Keep the general premise of Good/Neutral/Evil, but make it so it isn't class/race dependent limit deity choice to 3 options each one representing good/neutral/evil guilds at /guildwar against each other. Also then make it so race/class can pick any of the 3 deity options.

This way class balance is not at all a problem you don't have the issue of a certain faction alignment being w/o a certain class role nor do you have a real issue of small/medium/large either your simply picking.

That's one option or something more like this with Humans having 3 deity option determining alignment due to the monk issue.

Good Team - Barbarians. Erudites, Half Elves, Halflings, Humans
Neutral Team- Dwarves, Wood Elves, High Elves, Gnomes, Humans
Evil Team - Dark Elves, Ogres, Trolls, Iksars, Humans

Lastly if you introduced Vah/Froglok race options you could do the following by enabling Froglok to play Monk class like was recently done on live. I'd probably insert Froglok class in place of orc camp in Sro and Vah located underneath Aviak tower in South Karana both those locations would actually fit fairly seamlessly and believably for those two player races types actually.

Good - Barbarian, Dwarf, Gnome, High Elf, Wood Elf
Neutral - Erudite, Froglok, Half Elf, Human, Ogre
Evil - Dark Elf, Halfling, Iksar, Troll, Vah Shir
Old 07-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Ketzerei84
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
Teams PvP vs FFA?

Item Loot- yes or no?
I'm an old hat Sullon Zek player. 3-team deity based PvP would be awesome, but hybrid it with an RZ-style level range restriction as well - say +/- 3. One of the suckiest things about SZ was max levels griefing newbs - it helped destroy the server population. So my answer: Hybrid PvP =p

Item loot was always a source of nuisance to me, and frankly with everything being no-drop in later expansions it's pretty much moot. Don't bother, or people will whine the second luclin is available.