Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
eq4me
Hill Giant

Default New Linux Server Guide

I just commited the first part of it in the Wiki.
It is not complete yet as I a reconsidering some parts but it should help you over the most obscure part which was compiling EQEmu and getting/installing all needed software.

Since I am not an native english speaker I would be glad if someone can have a look at my spelling and grammar.

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...nuxServerGuide
Old 09-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

Spelling and grammar are fine my friend!

Ive been reading the tutorial on and off all night. I would not have suspected you do not speak English as your native language.

In fact I am so inspired by the tutorial I have decided to try it and hopefully finally I will have a server that doesnt crash all the time or at least as not as much as it does under WinXp!

Oh boy..Ive never even seen anything running on linux but I dont care how hard or how much work its gonna take. If I get it going and it runs maybe a week or so without a world.exe or zone.exe crash Im gonna jump up and down like Rumplestilskin!

EDIT>>> And Thank You Very Much!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 PM
eq4me
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zauis
Spelling and grammar are fine my friend!

Ive been reading the tutorial on and off all night. I would not have suspected you do not speak English as your native language.

In fact I am so inspired by the tutorial I have decided to try it and hopefully finally I will have a server that doesnt crash all the time or at least as not as much as it does under WinXp!

Oh boy..Ive never even seen anything running on linux but I dont care how hard or how much work its gonna take. If I get it going and it runs maybe a week or so without a world.exe or zone.exe crash Im gonna jump up and down like Rumplestilskin!

EDIT>>> And Thank You Very Much!!!

You are welcome.
I would advise you to get the free VMWare Server edition to try things out. In fact the Debian and Fedora installations I based my guide on are also VMWare machines. If I didnt made a mistake somewhere in the guide and the install/compile fails you simply can copy over your exisiting eqemu_config.xml and change the database host entry to the LAN IP of your existing Windows MySQL installation.

See the older Linux guides for how to start up EQEmu.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks to the one who fixed my Wiki problem.

Last edited by eq4me; 09-28-2006 at 07:13 AM..
Old 09-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I don't want to start a "bashing" thread here , so I'll just stop at, "Linux is just as good as Windows" - I tried a Linux server once, but was having problems and was more interested in learning the EqEmu DB than spending time solving Linux propblems.
One thing I think everyone should know especially the younger people; If you learn Linux, you'll have everything free: No more boot-legging or pirating becuase you're broke - it's all free and open source. And don't think becuause it's free, it inferior.
I want to try a Linux server again in a few days, I use Mandrake (Mandriva), but I guess I could use Ferdora so I can try out your new WikI - The old Wiki was a little "shady" in some areas, and I ended up searching for answers everywhere on occasions.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:42 PM
eq4me
Hill Giant

With Madriva 10.2 you should be fine. It uses MySQL 4.1 and gcc 3.4 You just have to find the equivalents to the Fedora RPMs needed and install them. If thee are compile errors snap&paste me the error messages. I'll have a look into it then.

Yes, Linux is free and imho as good or better as Windows for most things.
But in the hands of someone who is careless or doesnt want to think things through it can be also a recipe for dissaster. There are virtually no "Do you really want to do that?" saveguards when you are root.

There is an old joke among Unix Sysadmins
Once upon an time in an Unix Adminstration course with ten students.
Instructor: And if you want to read mail really fast type rm -rf /*
Nine out of ten students are laughting, one of then had to reinstall his Notebook.

Last edited by eq4me; 09-28-2006 at 08:01 AM..
Old 09-28-2006, 12:18 AM
wize_one
Dragon

if you want to dig deeper in the linux world, try gentoo (www.gentoo.org ) for your distro. you install only what you want-need, bo bloating of a system. just be prepared to read and re-read for installing.
Perfect quote from another site: it's immature pricks who refuse to read the numerous stickies in every forum pointing out what to do and what not to do that get flamed. Grow up and learn to do your fucking homework before opening your cake hole, junior. EQEmu doesn't like you anymore, and that's why you're getting errors. So go away.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq4me
With Madriva 10.2 you should be fine. It uses MySQL 4.1 and gcc 3.4 You just have to find the equivalents to the Fedora RPMs needed and install them. If thee are compile errors snap&paste me the error messages. I'll have a look into it then.

Yes, Linux is free and imho as good or better as Windows for most things.
But in the hands of someone who is careless or doesnt want to think things through it can be also a recipe for dissaster. There are virtually no "Do you really want to do that?" saveguards when you are root.

There is an old joke among Unix Sysadmins
Once upon an time in an Unix Adminstration course with ten students.
Instructor: And if you want to read mail really fast type rm -rf /*
Nine out of ten students are laughing, one of then had to reinstall his Notebook.
I trouble shoot and repair PC's (for a hobby now days) - as a result, I have years of parts laying around, I've been able to build whole PC's from scrapped parts. I always hated spam, and years ago , there was very little spam control on the ISP's mail servers - so I started my own email server, which eventually, I could not afford under windows and went Linux (Mandrake seemed to be the easiest for a windows drop-out at the time). It's been over six years now, and I have really learned a lot -glad I made the change (and stuck with it).
Glad to see your helping out with the Linux, I forgot what my problem was when I did my install, but I'll run it by you when I get there again.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Creylin
Fire Beetle

I have never registered here, much less posted. But I just had to do it to say....

Thank you!

I'm a Linux novice, and your guide looks just like what I need. I've been trying to use the older guides with mixed results. Can't wait to see the finished new guide.

Thank you again.

Crey
Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

eq4me, thanks for your works here. Last time I tried Linux was Redhate 5 or so, and it was so cumbersome to setup (ipchains and all) I never went back. I now have a purchased disc set of FreeBSD that I have been wanting to setup for the Emu for weeks... but I am intimidated (100% Windows junkie here). I can't wait to try this, because if I wind up with a stable emulator, T.E.S.S. may just become public.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:43 AM
eq4me
Hill Giant

I dont know if I can update the guide for a few days cause I am out of town from tomorrow to Tuesday.

But the most important thing left is making some bash scripts and setting up the mysql server. You can use http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...kka=MySQLSetup for this. The start/stop scripts from the old Linux guide are fine too.

I would recommend using Debian if you want an lean installation. The Fedora Core 4 one is much more bloated. Also Debian is imho the superior distribution for a pure server cause its much easier to manage and upgrade once installed.

Btw. Fedora doesnt start the mysql server by default. Execute this as root:

Code:
chkconfig mysqld on
Now MySQL will get started automatically on boot and stopped before shutdown.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
eq4me
Hill Giant

I've done some small but important updates to the Wiki. I dont think I will be able to update the Guide until Wednesday next week. I'll try to have a look in the forum once a day in case there are questions.

Important: Make sure that you use at least the below out of the start/stop stripts in the old Linux Guide
Code:
cd ~eqemu/server ; P=`pwd` ; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$P"
Without that line the EQEmu binaries wont be able to find the shared memory library. Execute the above in the same shell you are using to start ./world and ./zone.

Hint: The easiest way to get the server up and running is using Angelox database. You dont need to update tables and stuff like you have to do with the peq-luclin-rc1 database. Unfortunately Fedora doesnt have 'unrar' in the default repository. You can get it from DAG http://dag.wieers.com/packages/unrar...c3.rf.i386.rpm

Last edited by eq4me; 09-28-2006 at 07:45 PM..
Old 09-28-2006, 11:18 PM
eq4me
Hill Giant

Here another tidbit.

I just confirmed that it is possible to run MiniLogin.exe via wine from an text console. I first tried it with cedega and it spewed at me that it needs X11.

Here a quick howto.

Install and configure wine

For Fedora
Code:
Execute as root:
yum install wine

Execute as user eqemu:
winecfg #Will create .wine/ with the fake windows install

Hint: This will get alot faster if you do this via ssh and disabled X11 forwarding(ssh -x). winecfg cannot build the font metrics which can take quite a while. You can ignore the error messages.
For Debian
Code:
Execute as root:
apt-get install wine

Execute as user eqemu:
wine-auto
Now get Minilogin from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e...2.zip?download

And do
Code:

cd ~eqemu/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/
mkdir MiniLogin
cd MiniLogin
unzip ~eqemu/incoming/MiniLogin6.2.zip

wine MiniLogin.exe
With some proper start/stop scripts you never have to worry about setting up a MiniLogin server on an seperate Windows box. In time I will look if I get some of the windows only database tools to work under wine too.

I wish I had the time to properly include that in my guide but it has to wait a few days.

Last edited by eq4me; 09-29-2006 at 07:35 AM..
Old 09-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Creylin
Fire Beetle

Bah...disreguard the last post. I understand now. Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along...

Thanks,
Crey

Last edited by Creylin; 09-30-2006 at 03:15 PM..
Old 10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
fathernitwit
Developer

good work. I'd like to see the minilogin setup in there too.

I added the PEQ start/stop scripts to the page, do with them what you want. A good script to run from init for auto-start/stop would be nice, and shouldent be too hard. Could add minilogin startup in there too if minilogin.exe is in the dir or something.

make sure you put instructions to build cleanipc in utils/, not using it is a VERY common linux issue
Old 10-04-2006, 08:41 AM
eq4me
Hill Giant

Thanks, I didnt know about cleanipc yet. I'll get it in as soon as I get a bit of spare time. Unfortunately I doubt that I can continue on the Guide before the weekend.

Minilogin with wine under Fedora isnt quite stable it seems. But it might be the particular wine version as I never had a problem running Minilogin under cedega. I wish there would be an statically compiled Linux binary of Minilogin... installing wine costs several hundreds of MB because auf the X11 dependencies.

Last edited by eq4me; 10-04-2006 at 04:47 PM..