Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Database/World Building

Development::Database/World Building World Building forum, dedicated to the EQEmu MySQL Database. Post partial/complete databases for spawns, items, etc.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

bad bad bad code.
cuase it forcefuly hinders melee classes.
If we must have melee binding restriction - I much rather have an extra collumn like cavedude said
what we realy could use is a confirmation box when person is been bound, so evil casters do not bind melees say in VT
under Aten Ha Ra feet
Old 04-17-2008, 02:54 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Why is it bad? I have it up on TGC right now (though, I did add the db column, I'll diff that and post later) and it's fine for the most part. Melee toons can only be bound in city zones, this code does preciously that.

I don't see a need for a confirmation box, it isn't Live Like, you have to be grouped with the caster to be bound by them, and since they can only be bound in cities, there is no real way to exploit bind affinity... Now, sacrifice and rez on the other hand... those could use confirmation boxes.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
Why is it bad? I have it up on TGC right now (though, I did add the db column, I'll diff that and post later) and it's fine for the most part. Melee toons can only be bound in city zones, this code does preciously that.

I don't see a need for a confirmation box, it isn't Live Like, you have to be grouped with the caster to be bound by them, and since they can only be bound in cities, there is no real way to exploit bind affinity... Now, sacrifice and rez on the other hand... those could use confirmation boxes.
didn't you read my argument with Angelox?
Melee bind restriction SUCK and unfair.
And hard coding of this into main code is horible cause this kills server admin options of NOT having this stupid live-like feature.

As far as beein a in group - nothing prevents a jerk groupmate to bind you in some legaly bindable place where you kos if he is mad with you

thats why melee bind column and bidn confirmation box is good, and hard coding is BAD.

PS.
and for the GOD SAKE people - the stop treating "LIVE" like a freaken holy bible, where every word is divine and every statement is unquestionable!
Its not!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
didn't you read my argument with Angelox?
Melee bind restriction SUCK and unfair.
And hard coding of this into main code is horible cause this kills server admin options of NOT having this stupid live-like feature.

As far as beein a in group - nothing prevents a jerk groupmate to bind you in some legaly bindable place where you kos if he is mad with you

thats why melee bind column and bidn confirmation box is good, and hard coding is BAD.

PS.
and for the GOD SAKE people - the stop treating "LIVE" like a freaken holy bible, where every word is divine and every statement is unquestionable!
Its not!

The whole point of PEQ is to recreate live, this is in live so it goes in.

The development team has always been good about giving options (rules anyone?) and there is a table option for this for people to edit now, if you dont want this on your server dont do it.

Just because you dont want it dont mean it shouldnt be in, this is an EVERQUEST Emulator and that is what this code does.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:23 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck View Post
The whole point of PEQ is to recreate live, this is in live so it goes in.

The development team has always been good about giving options (rules anyone?) and there is a table option for this for people to edit now, if you dont want this on your server dont do it.

Just because you dont want it dont mean it shouldnt be in, this is an EVERQUEST Emulator and that is what this code does.
note that PEQ- is a DB, not a server code.
The code in question provided by TheLieka (who is a great coder, so this is no way bashing of him) will HARD CODE something which no custom Db can posibly 'fix'. Why hard code anything what can be made into an option by choice?

And as I said- I fully support "extra melee column' approach - server admins who will want to hinder melees, can hinder them. But the code I am bashing does not offer you any options.

Just because EqEmu is EQ emulator- doesnt mean it has to copy down all the shortcoming and weaknesses of the original.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

There's nothing to argue about here, Again, PEQ is the official database for the EqEmu . EqEmu is the Code and the Database, and they are trying to "emulate" live as best they can.
I'm here to support the people working to better the project (PEQ DB + EqEmu + Quests = Project EqEmu), So far they have done nothing but better the code and even keep some "custom" options available, for those who prefer it ( they didn't have to do that).
There's nothing to argue about, so better back off.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
mattmeck

Quote:
note that PEQ- is a DB, not a server code.
The code in question provided by TheLieka (who is a great coder, so this is no way bashing of him) will HARD CODE something which no custom Db can posibly 'fix'. Why hard code anything what can be made into an option by choice?

And as I said- I fully support "extra melee column' approach - server admins who will want to hinder melees, can hinder them. But the code I am bashing does not offer you any options.

Just because EqEmu is EQ emulator- doesnt mean it has to copy down all the shortcoming and weaknesses of the original.

Did you even read the part where Cavedude added the DB column? and he wants it NOT hard coded?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:02 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck View Post
Did you even read the part where Cavedude added the DB column? and he wants it NOT hard coded?
yes, I did , and its great.
My dissagreement comes from "we must be true to LIVE" point of view.

Think how many custom servers would NOT exist if we indeed would be true to live. (no rules, no variables, no db customizations etc)

So everytime when you say "its not live-like" - think of how much would be lost if Emu was 100% live-like.

PS. It saddens me to see that whatever my previous action were to help the community, some how automaticly deemed unimportant, once I dare to demonstarte a diffirence of opinion with people in power.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
mattmeck

Quote:
yes, I did , and its great.
My dissagreement comes from "we must be true to LIVE" point of view.

Think how many custom servers would NOT exist if we indeed would be true to live. (no rules, no variables, no db customizations etc)

So everytime when you say "its not live-like" - think of how much would be lost if Emu was 100% live-like.
There is a custom code submission section just for stuff thats not live like, but to make the official code it has to be like live. This has always been, and always will be. The devs do allow people the options to change this, but this is an EVERQUST emulator, and the point of it is to emulate live as close as can be.

Quote:
PS. It saddens me to see that whatever my previous action were to help the community, some how automaticly deemed unimportant, once I dare to demonstarte a diffirence of opinion with people in power.
Huh? Not sure what your talking about.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 AM
TheLieka
Developer

Whoa Chaos - my code spew wasn't intended to be a submission to the official eqemu source, I just read Angelox's question - so I threw our implementation up there. If I planned to actually submit that to the source, I would definitely use the database for it (and also look into partial-zone binds, and I have been thinking about the best way to implement that - stay tuned).

Nonetheless, I was just responding to a question - I didn't post anything to intentionally nerf melees across all servers or anything, but honestly, that was always one of the drawbacks on live too.

Sorry if my code upset you... I assure you there was no emotion involved in writing it or posting it. :(

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

As you know, some of us make our own zones and so cities may not match the default eqlive values, plus I have always been a believer in giving the serverOp as much control over his server as we can.

What if we do this:

There is a value in the zone table called canbind. This is defined as a number. Currently it is used to determine whether or not bind can be used in a zone. 0 = no, anything else = yes. This is mutually exclusive to what we want to add.

So here is my suggestion. Let's change this table entry so that 0 = no binding, 1 = unconditional binding (same way it is now) and add a value of 2, which would be the "in city" value meaning binding by casters only.

Comments?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Using one column works for me. On PEQ, I split this off into its own column, canbindothers. Using 1 column would certainly save a bit of space in the db. The one thing I didn't do yet is change the above code so you cannot bind anybody else in zones that are self only. The way that code is written, it only disallows melee guys from being bound. While this functionality essentionally is the same, it does bring up the point that you can bind other casters in these zones which we don't want in cases where they don't yet have bind affinity.

Last edited by cavedude; 06-17-2008 at 09:28 PM..
Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
Using one column works for me. On PEQ, I split this off into its own column, canbindothers. Using 1 column would certainly save a bit of space in the db. The one thing I didn't do yet is change the above code so you cannot bind anybody else in zones that are self only. The way that code is written, it only disallows melee guys from being bound. While this functionality essentionally is the same, it does bring up the point that you can bind other casters in these zones which we don't want in cases where they don't yet have bind affinity.
So we need an additional test to make sure they are only casting on themselves (target=self)?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

There's another thing; some places have designated areas for binding non casters- Rathe Mountains is a good example - I remember there's a specific area there where a mellee could get a bind. I also remeber a rare item that came from there (Rathe Mountains) , allowed any one one bind anywhere in any zone (forgot what the item was called)
Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Yeah, those zones are supposed to be self cast only. The class check in this case isn't needed. This would also allow us to override with soul binders or as Angelox mentioned items that cast bind affinity, while still preventing any class that doesn't have bind affinity from being bound in these zones.

The areas where you can bind will be a bit more tricky, I think. The gypsy camp in NK is like that as well. I was thinking just to make one of the gypsies a soul binder. Ghetto, but functional at least.

Last edited by cavedude; 06-18-2008 at 12:13 AM..