Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Server Code Submissions

Old 09-27-2008, 04:50 AM
KLS
Administrator

Default Submissions

Please please please post diffs when you submit new code if possible. It makes my job so much easier. If you can't because your source is too modified then please do it in a style such as:

find:

Code:
some code
change to:

Code:
some new code
People have gotten into this theme of color coding their changes and that kills me. It really is time consuming to apply such changes and my time is rather limited as is. I try my hardest to get to it for you guys even when I really would rather go do something else. Please make my job easier.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 AM
trevius
Developer

Will do! Sorry if my submissions have been confusing at all. Most of my stuff is so basic that I figured most would just see the color change and know where it goes. Normally when I am adding code from other people, I just do a search on the first line in their code in the file and go from there.

Do you mind if I still use color in the code as long as I put a "After this", "Add this" or "Find this", "And change it to this"? I normally just put the color in so it is clear what I changed and what I didn't. But, whatever makes your job easier is ultimately what needs to be done.

And, thanks for doing the code updates for us! There were quite a few building up over the past few weeks. It is a good thing, because it means alot of people are active in making improvements, fixes, or new features, but I am sure it makes your job harder! I can't wait to see what all is in the next build
Old 09-27-2008, 07:34 AM
KLS
Administrator

Where color is bad is where it's: "okay remove everything in x color and add everything in y color". Especially when they aren't complete lines. When I'm going through hundreds of lines of code that really is just a nightmare. I much prefer complete line exchanges because in comparison they're quick and they're easy.

Not adding files or line numbers to non-diffed submissions also is a time thief =(
Old 09-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
I really would rather go do something else.
If I were you I would feel under no obligation and go and do something else. After all, this is an emulator for a 9 year old game, nothing important. Whether the new code gets incoporated today or 3 months from now, it doesn't really matter. There was a time I wanted a blue name, but now I see it isn't worth the responsibility and expectation from the community that comes with it. I appreciate your hard work.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:44 PM
trevius
Developer

Give the man a blue name! Share the load :P

No one has any obligations here (even though it might seem like it sometimes). We all appreciate anything that is done, but nothing is required. And if something feels like too much of a burden, then it could easily be put off until there is more time or until people feel like doing it. There are quite a few people around here with mod or admin status that don't do very much, but when they do have time, they help where they can. We all have RL stuff to deal with, so it is completely understandable when it gets in the way

If we could setup a separate SVN that would still update the downloads page like the current one does, then we could have a few more people helping to get the code updates in. I could definitely do some as long as you guys let me know how to do certain things the right way. I would leave any of the questionable ones for the pros, but I could easily add in the minor ones that are pretty straight forward and easy for me to understand like new quest commands and such. Mostly, the thing I would be concerned about is making sure I do the line endings thing right that KLS had mentioned a month or so ago. I think that Visual C++ automatically converts line endings, and if so, I shouldn't have to worry about that.

Both Derision and KLS do way more than we could ever ask of them. I just hope they don't get burned out from working too hard or putting too much time into it. If you guys ever need a break, just take one. The world won't stop

Thanks to everyone that helps out around here. This project wouldn't be where it is today without people like you.

Oh, and I can start adding line numbers, but my code normally has so much extra stuff in it that getting line numbers might not always be in the same spot as the official source. I guess it would be best if I got them directly from a separate unmodified source each time. I will try to do that in the future to speed things up and make them as painless as possible.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Yea, BJESUS! that 'Forum Guide' thing, I made it to test new people (that looked promising), and see if they stayed on, did good, and make them Moderators! CERTAINLY not for proven Developers! I've been biting my tongue ever since I saw that.
I think KLS and Derision are the greatest! And all those people who have worked on the source and who are working on the source, you too.
Just someone in charge here doesn't have enough sense to see how important you all are get things organized.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:50 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Derision contribution in code writing make him well deserve the "blue" name imho =)

I also would like to point to persona of AndMetal who recently went on code submiting rampage =)
Old 09-28-2008, 08:56 AM
erde
Sarnak

Quote:
If we could setup a separate SVN that would still update the downloads page like the current one does, then we could have a few more people helping to get the code updates in. I could definitely do some as long as you guys let me know how to do certain things the right way. I would leave any of the questionable ones for the pros, but I could easily add in the minor ones that are pretty straight forward and easy for me to understand like new quest commands and such. Mostly, the thing I would be concerned about is making sure I do the line endings thing right that KLS had mentioned a month or so ago. I think that Visual C++ automatically converts line endings, and if so, I shouldn't have to worry about that.
Not a bad idea, but why dont convert the sourceforge CVS to a SVN and give some prooved devs write access?

i have setup my own svn but if everyone has her/his own svn isnt the way to go.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
Derision contribution in code writing make him well deserve the "blue" name imho =)
Done.

A SVN for submissions is up, just working some kinks out before going public.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

aha! I see red people... and blue people!

Grats guys!
Old 09-28-2008, 03:52 PM
KLS
Administrator

Yes, I now have the power to make you bastards blue.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
Yes, I now have the power to make you bastards blue.
KLS has the force choke.

On topic: Good idea, people should be submitting diffs.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:02 PM
joligario
Developer

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured out WinMerge...