Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Default Happy Birthday EQEMU

Im probably one of the few that still remembers this, certanly none of the current staff is old nuff round these parts to remember.

However EQEMu Was officially formed 12 Years ago, Image, Hogie, Pygar, Quagmire, Pyrotechnic, Wes, Sean319, Barron Sprite, and Myself, oh and AGX who did most of the EQEMu 0.0.1 Framework (at the time was known as AGXemu) where some of the original players. If any of you are out there, Thanks for all the hard work you put in to make EQEMu what it is today.

While this isn't the earliest website we have had, earliest one I could find on the wayback machine

Anyway Happy Birthday EQEMu.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Nice screenshot.

EQEmu is a great community. I've been around off and on since late 2005. I found this website shortly after quitting Live and have been playing on a bunch of servers since then.

I've just started my own server on here and everyone is polite and helpful to any questions or issues I have.

Thanks for all the work you and all those people you listed have put in as the groundwork for what we are today!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Dunge0nMastr
Hill Giant

yay happy b-day EQEMu!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Demi-God

Happy birthday former AGXEmu/FreeQuest
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:46 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Another year another Happy birthday eqemu. (yes a day early I know)

Old 12-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Happy birthday us!

A genuine thanks to everyone who has ever laid hands on the project for the better.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:56 PM
trevius
Developer

I thought EQEmu was based on the work from EthernalQuest (hackersquest.org), which was the first EQ Emulator project that I am aware of.

http://web.archive.org/web/200106301...quest.gomp.ch/

Their main dev was ashran, but other members include draigon, megaton, Kilamon, QuadLynx, Slicer, and Zordon (though I think they mostly worked on other EQ related projects on the hackersquest site).

I remember following their work back in 2001, but the first successful EQ Emulator was running in 2000 or maybe earlier.

Even if EQEmu was rewritten from the ground up, it would make sense that the team at the time at least used the work from EthernalQuest to base it off of.

I believe this has been brought up in the past, but I don't remember the details offhand. It may be that they are completely unrelated, but worth mentioning here.

Happy Birthday EQEmu, either way. Everyone that has helped to make this project possible is awesome (even devn00b)
Old 12-08-2014, 02:14 PM
steve
Discordant

The HackersQuest emulator was the first from what I remember, too. But I think it was more of a dumb client that just let you spawn stuff and run around. A glorified zone explorer, if you will.

I also remember someone at Verant leaked the EverQuest GM client (d3deverquest.exe) and you could use that to connect to the HackersQuest emulator and browse around the GM menus and functions. Nothing worked, but it was interesting to see, nonetheless.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
I thought EQEmu was based on the work from EthernalQuest (hackersquest.org), which was the first EQ Emulator project that I am aware of.

http://web.archive.org/web/200106301...quest.gomp.ch/

Their main dev was ashran, but other members include draigon, megaton, Kilamon, QuadLynx, Slicer, and Zordon (though I think they mostly worked on other EQ related projects on the hackersquest site).

I remember following their work back in 2001, but the first successful EQ Emulator was running in 2000 or maybe earlier.

Even if EQEmu was rewritten from the ground up, it would make sense that the team at the time at least used the work from EthernalQuest to base it off of.

I believe this has been brought up in the past, but I don't remember the details offhand. It may be that they are completely unrelated, but worth mentioning here.

Happy Birthday EQEmu, either way. Everyone that has helped to make this project possible is awesome (even devn00b)
Ethernalquest was done in ruby (at least the 2nd version) and had NOTHING to do with eqemu, other than sometimes some shared structs/opcode info.

He (ashram<aka assram>) didn't much care for us because he really wanted to be the only emulator on the block, and once we started to gather steam he became less and less willing to share information. until he just disappeared off the face of the planet. Come to think of it, it was probably when they moved the login out of the .dll and added encryption for the 1st time 'round that he poofed.

Eqemu started with AGX and his old tripod site, he got only so far then released his code and left the scene. It was then taken, and updated, upgraded and re-coded countless times till you have what you see today, but that was all based the work of AGX and written in C++.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

Quote:
then released his code and left the scene. It was then taken, and updated, upgraded and re-coded countless times till you have what you see today
I like this story
Old 12-06-2015, 02:10 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

Another year another birthday for EQEMu. I'll be blowing out some candles for you tonight.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:43 PM
vithmiris
Sarnak

Many happy returns!
Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Yay. Been around since about 2006. Been a fun ride
Old 12-12-2015, 12:21 AM
provocating
Demi-God

I remember the old days of this project back from the beginnings. I was mainly a lurker back then. Happy belated birthday though.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Fun to hear the history. I've had that "EtherealQuest" note on my sig for countless time now.. So long I don't even remember the history that well.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com

Tags
eqemu.birthday