Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Tools

Development::Tools 3rd Party Tools for EQEMu (DB management tools, front ends, etc...)

Old 11-07-2006, 04:50 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Default EverQuest Version Check

I've stalled on it for quite some time now, but I had yesterday off so I came back to EQVerCheck for a moment and decided to finish up version 4.

About EQVerCheck v4 (READ HERE FIRST)
If you're not familiar with EQVerCheck, see this thread. Basically, EQVerCheck will examine your EverQuest directory, give you a number which you can refer to your EQ version with, and try to suggest a running LoginServer. If you don't care about all the details, skip down to the Instructions/Download section. It is a small utility written in C++ primarily using the wxWidgets library which utilizes CRC32 checksums to validate and "generate" a version number for your directory. After generating a version number, EQVerCheck can then take the number and compare it to a list of known versions and their compatibility with different EQEMu versions. If its recognized, it will tell you exactly what version numbers you can use with the version you have and what loginserver it is available at. The number is a small, 4-digit hexadecimal value which can be easily communicated and remembered for reference.

The Version Number
Previous versions of EQVerCheck utilized SEQ/LEQ numbers, which were basically different checksum manipulations of the 5 main executables and libraries of EverQuest. The new version number is generated by taking the checksums of these main 5 files, as well as all files contained in the directories ActorEffects, RenderEffects, SpellEffects and EnvEmitterEffects. These checksums (totaling about 300 files in Titanium) are then combined. In testing, the final result normally resulted to be significantly different if at least 2 bytes were changed in any examined file.

Backwards-Compatibility
Seeing as we already have many entries for the old SEQ/LEQ numbers and very little for the new system at the time of release, EQVerCheck still evaluates and creates SEQ/LEQ numbers. If no entries are available for the new verison number when comparing, EQVerCheck will still check for SEQ numbers. If you have a version of EverQuest which you can confirm works on a specific version of EQEMu and EQVerCheck reports that it is comparing SEQ numbers when it compares to EQEMu, PM me with your version number and I will add it to the list as soon as possible.

Localization
Most of the strings in EQVerCheck are contained in one file. If you are interested in translating EQVerCheck into your language, please contact me and I can give you further instructions. I will host any translated versions on my server.

Source
Unlike previous versions of EQVerCheck, I am releasing EQVerCheck4 under the BSD license. For the complete text of the license, please see the "LICENSE" file enclosed with with binary and the source. Only the binary is currently being hosted by EQEMulator, the source is currently being hosted from my own server.

Cross-Platform
EQVerCheck4 was developed exclusively on an AMD64 running Gentoo Linux with GTK+. EQVerCheck4 *will* compile with Linux with wxWidgets and should compile with XCode on Mac OS X should the need arise. However, I am only going to post the windows binaries as that is the most practical. The configure scripts are included in the source binary should you want to install wxWidgets and compile on Linux. See wxWidget's Home to download wxGTK for Linux installs and wxMSW for Windows compiles.

Bugfixes
This is a complete rewrite, so the windows "crashing" bug which I was never able to pinpoint should have gone away. If you experience any bugs, post here and I will try to fix and repost a binary as soon as I can. I've eliminated the need for much of the wxWidgets library as well, so this binary is much smaller than its predecessors.

MSVCR71.DLL Not Found?
Download this dll file and place it in C:\WINDOWS\System32, and then try again.

MSVCP71.DLL Not Found?
Download this dll file and place it in C:\WINDOWS\System32, and then try again.

Instructions
To use EQVerCheck, simply download the zip file and place the "EQVerCheck4.exe" file into your EverQuest directory (Normally at C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest or a similar variant). Then, open EQVerCheck4.exe from that directory. The icon should appear to be a green eye.

Download
EQVerCheck v4 for Windows
>> EQVerCheck.zip (470 KB) <<

EQVerCheck v4 Source (For Developers)
>> Download Here (Select Newest File) <<

One More Thing...
I no longer play EQ or EQEmu, so I do not have a computer to constantly update the EQVerCheck list. If you have a version of EverQuest that you know operates perfectly on a specific version of EQEmu or on a specific loginserver and when you use the "Compare to EQEMu" feature, the data is wrong or it does not even recognize it, please PM me immediately with your "Version Number", what version(s) of EQEMu it works with and what loginserver you use, and I will add it to the list as soon as possible.

I'll be updating the wiki entry on EQVerCheck tomorrowish or something like that. Have fun!
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.

Last edited by Cisyouc; 11-07-2006 at 01:02 PM..
Old 10-12-2007, 07:37 PM
gernblan
Discordant

Wonderful tool! The source link is down (not surprising since it's been a year) but I'd really really love to have a copy of it (the source).

Does anyone by chance have this?

I'm happy to host it if someone gets it to me. Please e-mail it to gernblanATgmailDOTcom if you have it, thank you!
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast