Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Spell Support

Spell Support Broken Spells? Want them Fixed? Request it here.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:33 PM
Jcr4990
Fire Beetle

Default Weird spell animation behavior

Quick backstory: Used Akka's installer to spin up a server on a linux VM. Did all the port forwarding and such so a friend could log in and help me do some dev stuff. We recently noticed there is something weird going on with spell animations. If we both stand next to each other and cast a spell on a mob. Each of us only sees our OWN casting animation. I don't see his character animating and he doesn't see mine. Somehow it works on our own screens for our own characters though. Oddly enough if I cast a spell ON HIM he will see MY character arms move normally. This is a bit confusing to explain. I'll give a few examples.

1: Player A casts nuke on random_mob > Player A sees everything correctly > Player B standing next to him does not see "Casting Animation" for Player A

2: Player A casts heal on Player B > Both players see everything animate correctly on their screens

We did modify some spells and create new spells with Spire and/or PEQ Database Editor. We used the client file exporter tool to update the spells_us and dbstr and other client files on both our local machines. However this behavior seems to apply to all spells whether we modified them or not. It's almost as if the animations simply aren't firing unless you're either A: the person doing the casting or B: the person being cast upon. Any ideas what may be going on here? ROF2 client if that matters. Also only seems to apply to spell animations. Using bash or kick base skills work properly and emotes work properly.

Edit: Weird thing to note. We created a disc to replace "Flying Kick" for non monk classes. Setting the "Casting Animation" to 45 (flying kick). The disc itself works fine on your own screen when you use it. Same issue where it doesn't appear for others. But the extra weird part is when we tried dueling each other and #cast the spellID on each other the "Casting Animation" triggers on the target instead of the player and the "Target Animation" appears to do nothing.

Edit2: Currently have 2 clients on my local machine loaded up and dueling each other. Casting unmodified "Desist" stun spell from player A on player B results in player B animating and player A doing nothing
Old 10-13-2022, 02:16 AM
Jcr4990
Fire Beetle

Akk was able to help me identify the problem I was having in the discord. Figured I'd post an update here just in case anyone else runs into similar issues. After various troubleshooting steps (including editing and compiling my first ever .cpp file!) and pulling my hair out for HOURS trying to figure out the problem. It turns out..... the "PC Spells" chat filter option also filters out casting animations for some reason. Setting "PC Spells" and "NPC Spells" both to "Show" under the chat filter options resolved my issue completely. There's still some weirdness that happens when you duel each other but I'm not overly concerned with that.

Big thanks and shoutout to Akk!