Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:45 PM
Mortow
Hill Giant

Default World.exe failing to start dynamic zones

I have searched around for a while now and I cannot find anything like what I am seeing. To preface, the only thing that has changed is my router (old one's wifi quite working). I replaced it with a new Netgear Nighthawk R7000. I have all the ports forwarded and I can login to EQ but it shows my world as DOWN. The world.exe window goes through its normal routine until it gets to the point where it starts loading the dynamic zones. It never loads them and I have no errors showing up. I have 30 set for dynamic and no statics. I even tried copying my executables over thinking maybe the world or zone.exe corrupted. It was working until the router change. I do have ports 7000-7100 forwarded to my internal IP on UDP but I tried it on TCP/UDP with no change. I know I am missing something simple here. I am hoping a fresh set of eyes can pin point it.

Thanks,
Mortow
Old 11-30-2016, 09:10 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

You got that set in your config ?
Code:
<ports low="7000" high="7100"/>
Old 11-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Mortow
Hill Giant

Yes. I haven't changed anything in the config file and it was working the night before I changed the router. The server's IP is unchanged and I set the reservation in the router for it as well. I pulled the source last night and recompiled (previous source was from 9/12/16). Everything compiled fine but I still get no dynamic zones to start. The one thing I have not tried is putting the old router back in to see if that makes a difference, just to rule out the new router causing the issue. I will try that later tonight to see. Windows firewall is also turned off.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Not sure what's causing that for you. I just bought a new router a few weeks ago and I didn't get any problems happening with the lan server after I got it all configured.
That's with up to date source as well.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Mortow
Hill Giant

Got the issue resolved. Not sure which was the actual culprit but I had port 3306 set to TCP/UDP and changed it to TCP only. I then changed ports 9000 and 7000-7100 from UDP only to TCP/UDP. It launches the dynamic zones just fine now.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:56 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Are you doing just a general port forwarding of 3306 (SQL) ? I would advise against that.

Also, the R7000 is an older router (new to you though from reading). I would do one of two things:

1. Ensure the firmware is the latest to plug up the Kcode NetUSB vulnerability (if Netgear ever did release it)

2. Install DD-WRT firmware on that router. Granted it would mean configuring it all over again, however, it would void the Kcode vulnerability. Would allow you to set up source aliases, so that you can dictate which IP addresses and/or FQDN can actually access a forwarded port (i.e. Akka's EOC which is a static IP or the FQDN of say, mortowsremoteaccess.ddns.net).

Naturally, I'd recommended option 2, as it offers greater security and flexibility in said security, to, well, make it even more secure.

Leaving that port wide open so that you can use EOC (which is, I assume, why you have it open) also opens it to any would be hackers.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Mortow
Hill Giant

Thanks for the info Ghanja. I actually bought this router because it could be used with open source firmwares especially the one you mentioned. I have upgraded the firmware to Netgear's latest already. Was going to mess with the DD-WRT this weekend. Thanks again.