Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::GeorgeS's Tools

Development::GeorgeS's Tools A forum just for GeorgeS's tools

Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Default EQitems and spells

I'm curious, how does the EQ items editor handle spells?

Here is my situation.

I used the spell editor to copy an old spell and make a new one.

This spell (and about 25 others at the end of the list that show up in the spell editor) do not appear in my SQL DB.

I went into the DB and manually added the next line (8447). I opened the item editor to put this spell on a weapon as a proc and it wasn't in the list. That list, however, already has a 8447 and continues on well past 10,000.

So I'm a little confused. Could someone perhaps explain the relationships to me and point me on the right path?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

george item editor is not in anyway conected to actual server spell file or db spell table. it reads its spell list from internal spells.txt file located inside the editor's folder
Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

OKay, great information there!

So my question is then, how do I know items I create with GeorgeS's tools will have the correct spell effects?

Why does my SQL DB have different spells than the spell editor even though I pull the file from the emu folder?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldest View Post
OKay, great information there!

So my question is then, how do I know items I create with GeorgeS's tools will have the correct spell effects?
you go by spell id#
you need to now what supose to be there and if you want visiul representation of it - edit the spells.txt files inside item editor and add what ever spells you like to the list

Quote:
Why does my SQL DB have different spells than the spell editor even though I pull the file from the emu folder?

spells in DB are not in anyway conected to spell file outisde - they there for some test work done by our devs.
Curent edition of the server uses only the outside spell file located inside your server folder
Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
trevius
Developer

Hopefully soon, the new_spells table will become the standard way to handle loading spells. Once that is the case, GeorgeS could change his tools to load spells directly from that table, which would make them always line up with what your server is using for items and such. That is another good reason to use the new database spells instead of using the spells_us.txt file to load spells.

Really, we need something like the Ailia/Bleh spell editor that would work directly from the database table instead of the spells file. Having a good tool to manage them is one of the only thing that holds the new way back from becoming standard. Either way, you can always export the table back into a spells file and edit it and then import it back into the table again. But, it would be very nice if the spell tool would just use the database directly.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Aldest
Sarnak

I appreciate all the answers guys.

One final question. What chances do I have of creating a new spell?

I've created it directly in my database and associated the ID to an item. In game, however, it shows up "unknown spell." I can accept if I have to use an existing effect but I'd really love to use this one.

Any advice?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
nosfentora
Discordant

I think you need to modify also the spells_us.txt in *both* the server's folder and the client folder, adding in your spell data - unless something has changed. (i've been out of the loop for a bit). I'm not sure if the client is hard-coded to load only the x number of spells in spells_us.txt, but i don't think so. If I understand correctly, it will load all spells in spells_us.txt, but up to a certan number - I'm not sure how the effects are handled though...

If i'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Hmm

I don't think I'll be changing the .txt files in all my clients if that is the case. I'll just use an existing ability.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, that is correct, if you change or add a spell on the server side, you have to change it on the client spell file as well for them to use the spell changes. Though, normally you can use an existing spell and just edit some certain fields so it will work how you want.

And yeah, there is a limit on Titanium for how many spells can be loaded and the limit is no higher than spell ID 9999.