Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:23 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Default Forum Guides

I see where some people do not submit code or quests, but still are active by helping out the new members with their problems and questions. So we made a new rank "Forum Guides"; these are the ones who help others out and keep a positive attitude in our forums.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:10 AM
moydock
Discordant

go buy titanium or gtfo

edit: OH GOD PINK!?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 AM
TheLieka
Developer

I'm sooo never helping anyone again! FEAR THE WRATH OF THE PINK!!

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 03-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moydock View Post
go buy titanium or gtfo

edit: OH GOD PINK!?
I don't have a problem with pink, it just looked ok with both forum themes - but, since you were the "Guinea Pig" i tested with, I'll let you choose the new color, and we'll make it the one for guides. Just post the color in Html here ( has to be a color not in use).
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
moydock
Discordant

That's hard, i'd say

1st choice Indigo ooooooooo

2nd choice darkorange ooooooooooo
Old 03-29-2008, 04:37 PM
TheLieka
Developer

I vote for pink!

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 03-29-2008, 04:40 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

bah make it royal purple
Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

I'm voting for pink, and i'm TOTALLY going to get that title, provided I spend more time on these forums~
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

yay! I made a guide, who would have know

bwt the color selected by Angelox is not realy pink- its purple/violet - so its a royal empirial color, and is all is fine
Old 03-30-2008, 11:15 AM
trevius
Developer

Slightly off-topic, but is there any chance to give extended or unlimited edit times for posts to people with certain status on their account?

I understand the reason to limit the post edit time if you are worried about people saying something nasty and then retracting it. But, that doesn't seem to happen very often lately. I think it would be nice for at least programmers and quest writters to have the ability to edit their own posts later to correct any mistakes. I am pretty anal about that stuff and normally wind up posting replies to my own posts to correct any mistakes or make any additions. I would much prefer to have it perfect in the first post so people don't have to read the whole thread to find out what code they need.

Also, another nice small reward might be upping the max post size. Not many normal posts need more than the 10000 character limit, but code and quests can break that fairly easily.

Just a couple of ideas. Nothing major really.

Oh and to stay on topic; Gratz to the new forum guides! Keep up the good work guys
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I don't see why not, but I would like Mattmecks opinion on this too, as hes been around longer, maybe knows some other reason I'm not aware of, and shouldn't.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 AM
mattmeck

The decision to put an edit timer was made for several reasons.

People did go in and change there nasty posts.

Coders posted a code, then later edited the post and people wanted the original code and the coder was no longer around so it was lost forever.

People asked for help then after they got there answers they edited the first post to "never mind or fixed" so people didn't know what the issue was.

Let me think about it.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:34 PM
trevius
Developer

The nice thing about special privileges is that they should be as easy to take away as they are to give.

If someone with the status to do what you mentioned does any of them, you can issue a warning or even remove their status right away depending on the level of the violation.

It seems overall that the attitude is pretty positive and helpful around here these days. Not to say that it hasn't always been, but from reading older posts you can see where certain conflicts had arisen.

I know you guys don't need more things to police, but watching a few members with special privileges should be worth the benefit. Considering that those few should relieve some of the pressure for the admins here to answer as many common questions.

Oh and another idea (which I am not sure is even possible) might be to have all edited posts archived with the pre-edit post information. That way, anyone could look up edited code, nasty posts, or even help posts that got edited. I think that would solve the problem completely.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 PM
TheLieka
Developer

If you could give 48 hours to edit posts it would help a lot (maybe for just contributing members), and still prevent people from deleting their code, etc.

When posting large chunks of code, an increased number of characters per post would rock too. It took me like 6 posts to get my warp detector code in.

If we can't edit or post 150k characters per post, we'll still survive, but I agree that it would be handy.

Dax

Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM
mattmeck

welp, its either on or off for everyone, no way to set it to user groups without modding, and I dont have access to do that, and I am still waiting on a few mods I requested months ago.