Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

But, it isn't someone elses bug, it's yours. If zones were crashing as much as you say for everyone there would be more discussion about it. If you're not willing to narrow it down don't expect someone else to do it for you.

My zones don't crash. If they did I'd track it down and fix it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
If zones were crashing as much as you say for everyone there would be more discussion about it.
That's the incredible irony though, isn't it? It does happen, probably to many servers, and, there is discussion about it. You know why there isn't more? Because of responses like the ones I am getting here... from people calling me "stupid", that I can't possibly know what I'm talking about, or that I haven't done enough on my own to warrant anyone else offering a constructive opinion.

Let me ask this; why is this my bug, because it is happening to me? Do you write software (seriously asking)? Because if you do, then you would comprehend that software should never "crash" for any reason. There is an anomaly in this code, code not written by me, that causes it to abnormally terminate (crash!) under a specific condition, and that, sir, is not MY BUG. If Zone.exe Crashes, then it is an issue within EQEmu code, not in John Adam's personal server.

If this makes me sound like a "stupid douche-bag", then sorry... fact is, I am reporting what others DO experience, and instead of getting helpful replies, I am getting lectured on proper debugging ethics. I do not have time to debug, or I would. And, EQEmu is not my project, so I am asking IT'S community for help -

And by "help" I do not mean solve MY problem, but instead, remind me (and others) what potential issues MIGHT be (spells.txt, quests, pets as a few have suggested). Any other replies about how poorly I debug my own problem are irrelevant.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM
joligario
Developer

All software crashes under a specific condition. Maybe you can narrow down what is causing your situation? What does the debug say for your crash?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Yes, I do write software for a living, but I am not clairvoyant, so I don't automatically know why your server is crashing. If you can't or won't take the effort to narrow it down to a set of repeatable steps then how is anyone else going to know what the cause is and fix it?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Considering every response was helpful except for mine I think you need to chill out. Yea you do sound like a douchebag for saying things like it has been happening for 5 years but I havent been involved for the last few years(how can you make a statement like that when you havent been around for all of the time) and also the way you were calling out the devs.

There is a way to ask for help without being a douchebag, you choose the douchebag way and a single person called you on it so you don't get to play the poor persecuted minority.

I also fail to see how your life is SO busy you cant debug it, dont get me wrong, Im sure the line up of super models to bang never ends but tell them to pleasure each other for 15 min so you can get it done.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
trevius
Developer

Please keep the thread civil, or it will be locked.

John, I don't think everyone here knows your history around the emu's so you may not see the respect you are normally used to on the EQ2 forums. I know you have done a ton of work and been involved in EQ1 and EQ2 emus for many years now.

I think the thing that is getting to people is that you are reporting an issue that you claim is not your bug because you didn't write the code. Keep in mind that this project has been going on for about 10 years now and almost all of the people who have written for it prior to about 5 years ago are long gone. That means there are potential bugs that no one currently involved in the project wrote. So, since they weren't written by us, does that mean we should just wait for the original writers to come back and fix them? Yes, we have some devs now and we have resolved a huge number of bugs in the code over the past few years. We do still have limited resources though and rely on the skilled community members to help out when and where they can. If you are going to put a fair amount of time into something and there is something that "bugs" you about it, it makes sense to try to help to resolve that issue if it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure you have the skills to do so if you wanted.

I am all for reporting and discussing bugs, which is what this thread was created for. Maybe we can find enough details and information to pinpoint the issue. Unfortunately, without something to directly point the finger to, this bug (if there really is one) cannot be easily found.

I am pretty sure at least some of my crashes on Linux are due to the wrong version of libraries that I am running (more current ones).

I don't think PEQ sees nearly as many crashes as I see regularly. I have looked into it quite a bit, so it isn't like I am not trying. I just haven't found anything that really stands out as the possible cause for my own particular crashes. Some of them definitely seem to be heap corruption. I don't know, but there is probably more than 1 thing working against me here lol.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

I always run user-mode crash dumps on windows. You can read about them here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

Keep in mind when you are debugging the executable via this form, the Program Debug dataBase (or .pdb) file must match the executable that generated it. That means making a clean build (or rebuild) as opposed to just hitting "build" in vs2010.

Minidumps will show you the relevant information to the crash, Full dumps will show you the irrelevant information (and the whole program in memory) from the time your application crashed. It will show line numbers and is very interactive.

PS: Welcome back, John!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

You can also set up a symbol server to store the executables and pdb files when you build so you will always be able to debug your dumps without worrying about matching anything up. Just add a batch file with the appropriate commands as a post-build step.

http://entland.homelinux.com/blog/20...symbol-server/