Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default bbs of old days

anyone interested in the old bbs door games?
if so go here
telnet mudungeons.com

www.cheaterz.info
Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

What games you got? I used to like Falcons Eye (when no one cheated). I got a real cool one called "Spider Gates", actually came with an editor so you could add what you wanted. Also Lore is a lot of fun.
I play all this with my Old PCBoard and Dosbox (never could figure out how to run PCB/Dosbox and the emulated modems for others to play).
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
What games you got? I used to like Falcons Eye (when no one cheated). I got a real cool one called "Spider Gates", actually came with an editor so you could add what you wanted. Also Lore is a lot of fun.
I play all this with my Old PCBoard and Dosbox (never could figure out how to run PCB/Dosbox and the emulated modems for others to play).
I was going to run Falcons Eye but im to cheap to regester it for now.
this is the list so far.
Num │ Name
────┼──────────────────────────
1 │ Food Fight!
2 │ Synchronet Blackjack!
3 │ The Beast's Domain
4 │ Dragon's Hoard
5 │ DoorMUD v0.99
6 │ Ultimate Universe
7 │ Tradewars
8 │ Legend of the Red Dragon
9 │ BRE

www.cheaterz.info
Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Amra
Hill Giant

I used to run a few bbs's back in the day. I loved Trade Wars and LoTRD My first BBS ran off of a floppy on an Atari ST lol. I will be checking yours out.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amra View Post
I used to run a few bbs's back in the day. I loved Trade Wars and LoTRD My first BBS ran off of a floppy on an Atari ST lol. I will be checking yours out.
you reminded me of mine; I could afford only one HD, so I had it in one machine, then I had four other machines I put together from parts people donated to me for memberships; these had floppys - not like your Atari 120.00 shoe-box sized floppy, these were the 720 "floppys of the future" ( I had Atari too, hehe!). They were all 286 but the "server" (with the "cutting edge"20 meg HD) was a 386, the network was a Novell Lite network. I actually made a 600.00 loan so I could buy a five node PCBoard ( I had convinced my wife and myself I was on to something big!). Well, never got rich (as usual), but had a ton of fun trying, and those games were great, we lived for those silly old door games. Since games like FE were played by a number of turns daily, the BBS would light up every day at midnight with disparate players coming in to take there turns.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:58 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Ahh I love the sweet scent of nostalgia.

"The Edge; Secret Society" went online June 1986, on a Commodore 128 (in C64 mode) running C-Net BBS software and 1 floppy drive (still have the hardware). In 1988, I moved to an IBM PC 8088 with a whoppin 640k ram and TWO floppies! I got my first ever hard disk a year or so later which I think was 20mb RLL and WWIV BBS software. Moved to AZ, and put TESS back online under VBBS, where it stayed until late 1996 when I could no longer compete with the growing popularity of the Internet for users.

I still have all my software, "doors", and leet 0-1day wArEz (though they are about 5400 days old now) on my servers here... which, by comparison, are 2 x64 linux boxes, a new PE2900 server with 10 virtual machines and a total of around 5tb of storage space counting all machines.

What a change from 20 years ago, eh?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:32 AM
rojadruid
Discordant

sdabbs65 - i have a question for you? what are you using as a comport redirector for the telnet ability? Or is it a built in feature of PCBoard?

Innoruuk Server [legit]
Server Admin.
Server Status: UP
Old 05-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Knightly
Accomplished Programmer

http://www.synchro.net/

So cool sdabbs. Course...now I have to start my own BBS again. =P
Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I have this client I always used since Internet started (and still do) - although its abandon-ware, it still runs fine. I even had it runing perfect with wine under Linux, but now it doesn't work and I can't figure out why.
its's called RIPTEL ver 3.1. It easily ran all the RIP graphics-Doors. You can easily Google-Find it, or I can post a link to mine.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:32 AM
rojadruid
Discordant

Yeah I have riptell for my bbs. But I have been searching for quite awhile now for a comport redirector to be able to use telnet for my BBS. I have been looking for one that is freeware, but have had no luck

Innoruuk Server [legit]
Server Admin.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojadruid View Post
Yeah I have riptell for my bbs. But I have been searching for quite awhile now for a comport redirector to be able to use telnet for my BBS. I have been looking for one that is freeware, but have had no luck
what brand bbs do you have, and what OS?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Amra
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
http://www.synchro.net/

So cool sdabbs. Course...now I have to start my own BBS again. =P
I just downloaded it. Time to play Wow, I feel so nostalgic.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Amra
Hill Giant

I downloaded an awesome documentary. I didn't buy it :( but it's packed with flashback info. I figured you guys would be intersted. Check your local torrent sites if you don't want to pay the $40-$50.

http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/
Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 AM
rojadruid
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
what brand bbs do you have, and what OS?
I use an old BBS software called PROBOARD. Works great easy to setup and licencing was not that bad back in the day. I currently run it under winxp without any problems.

Innoruuk Server [legit]
Server Admin.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Aramid
Discordant

Wow, BBS days.... I started on a Commodore 64 running a Punter BBS from a floppy, then expanded with some old PET Computer IEEE Floppies, then added the MSD Dual Drive and finally ended up with the LT. Kernal Hard Drives . 20 MB for 1100.00 what a bargain. lol. I ported over games from the CNET BBS and had 14 overlays that compiled in Basic. It took 3 hours on the C-64. I then got a C-128 and could compile it blind in 90 minutes. I say Blind because I entered a poke to let me compile it on the C-128 but didn't get to see the prompt screens and had to key it in blind. I had done it so many times, I knew what to put...

After some years, I switched to Wildcat BBS from Mustang Software and ran it on 3 computers with 3 phone lines. I was also an Echomail Hub and used FrontDoor as my forwarding program and used QuickBBS to run the ecohmail forums on.

Those were the days... Get an e-mail message to the west coast in 2 days...

It was fun though...