Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:57 AM
opyrus
Hill Giant

Default WoWemu server looking for players

I host both EQEmu and WOWemu from our deadicated server if anyone wants to play you can make a account here Account Manger. There are shared forums on the Main Site and other general stuff. There is a server admin support page if you need to contact a admin also.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

account creation and remote login has now been fully tested and is 100% working.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

allmost forgot client version you need is 2.4.2 then get the realmlist.wtf from the account creation page and replace it in the game folder. after you make a account then you can login as usual to the free server.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 AM
opyrus
Hill Giant

Dont anyone wana play some WoW? I like it alot it looks realy good and works very well and i havent seen a crash yet or a major bug there was a few minor ones but im sure they will be fixed with in a week.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:28 AM
trevius
Developer

I imagine that many people came to eqemu because they were sick of WoW hehe. Plus, advertising a WoWemu server on an EQEmu site is probably taken about as well as advertising EQEmu servers on the EQLive forums lol.

Not to say that there is anything wrong with mentioning it here. But, there are probably much better places to get players.

I have considered trying to run a WoWEmu server just to see what I can do with one. If it was anywhere near as fun as running an EQEmu server, I am sure I would enjoy it. I just don't have the time to do both, so I haven't bothered even attempting it yet. But, maybe someday lol.

Also, I heard something about WoWemu getting shut down due to legal issues. I thought I had heard that the server software was illegally stolen from Blizzard instead of being developed from scratch like EQEmu was. If that is the case, then running a WoWemu server is way to risky for me, lol. I wouldn't mind hearing the facts about it though.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

I dont know personally since this is the off topic forum and the description says feel free to talk about anything here there isnta nything wrong with it he runs both eqemu and wowemu so, I dunno. I know a few people that run both servers, and if it was gunna be posted anywhere. I think this is the place to do it since thats what this particular forum is for, non EQ or EQEmu related posts that is
Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 AM
trevius
Developer

I agree that off-topic is definitely the place to post this. And, I don't see anything wrong with it. I was just trying to mention some reasons why people may not be fleeing EQEmu to play on his WoWemu server. I doubt I would do much better at getting players from a WoWemu site to come play my EQEmu server if I was posting about it there.

Of course, if people were trying it out and writing good review replies about it here, I am sure a few players from here would check it out.

And, maybe posting some details about your WoWemu server setup here would help. If I posted in the server section of the forums "I host an EQEmu server, come check it out!", it would probably be a while before anyone bothered to try it. But, if I posted all of the details about what makes my server cool, that might peek people's interest a bit quicker.

I think one of the things that WoWemu lacks is a centralized login server with player number counts on them. That is one of the best things about EQEmu IMO, and one of the things that keeps it going so strong. At least it was lacking one last time I tried the WoW emulator.

Oh, and I have mentioned this before, but the million ads on your site are probably an instant turn-off for most people.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

now that I have to agree with, adds are just a pain, I mean leslamarch posted aobut our new mmo project in development in this forum as well, We try to update with new details about what is going on with it as much as possible, but trevius is right, you need details of some form about it, what makes it different from the other million wow emu servers out there, and so on and so forth.

For Instance I am developing a whole new MMO game, when I added a new playable race I posted in the thread for it on this forum, and as time permits me Ill be doing a writup on the storyline of the game and so on. its all about the details
Old 06-22-2008, 11:18 AM
opyrus
Hill Giant

if you went to the account manager link i posted there is a full active ranking system and a map that shows where each player is in the world the account manager is very sweet. it also lists a bunch of server info the account manager is amazing hands down. everything listed on the account manager is live feed from the server running.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:26 AM
opyrus
Hill Giant

also as far as i know MaNGOS was writen from scratch and there is no hacking of your client required to play its the same as eqemu just change the login server address. a player need only have V2.4.2 or older of the client and open the realmlist file and change it to my server address to play as the account manager also lists. the client can be legaly obtained from the wow website after signing up for a free 10day trial.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM
trevius
Developer

After posting in this thread last night, I started looking into WoWEmu. It took me a while to figure out what is going on with it these days, but I learned a bit so far. Apparently the old WoWemu is long dead and has been replaced with a few new versions of emulators all written from the ground up as far as I can tell. Or in some cases they might borrow code from the open source versions and build from there. It looks like WoWemu has been replaced by some new emulators called Mangos, Ascent (previously Antrix), and a couple of others that aren't quite as stable (but may have better databases).

Just to check it out, I went ahead and reinstalled WoW and patched up to 2.4.2.xxxx (hopefully the xxxx part doesn't mean I patched too far lol). I also got through the setup for creating a private server. I ran into a few issues, but I will probably try to get those fixed later tonight. I definitely don't plan to attempt to run both an EQEmu and WoWemu server both from my home network. Mainly because the EQEmu one uses almost all of my upload bandwidth anyway. But, also because I don't have time to run WoWemu because I spend most of my time working on the EQEmu server. Running a WoWemu server is just something I have been wanting to check out for quite a while now, so I figured I would see how it is. I am curious what tools they have for database developing and in-game commands for creating content. So far, it definitely seems like having experience running an EQEmu server will help alot for understanding WoWemu content creation.

Sorry if that derailed your post lol. But, now that I have WoW installed again, maybe I will make a batch file to switch the realmlist.wtf file back and forth to connect to your server and then my own. So, I can come and check out what you have come up with so far. I don't really have much time to play on it because I am in the middle of developing a new tier zone for my EQEmu server which should be my best one yet. So far, it looks pretty awesome (maybe I'm biased lol). But, I am definitely curious to see where the WoWemu is these days. Last time I played it, all of the custom servers sucked big time lol. I would love to see a WoWemu server with an EQ feel to it. If I ever create one, that is what I would shoot for
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM
opyrus
Hill Giant

switching realmlist files is easy i dunno why you would have to batch it just keep both files and rename one there like a cupple bytes in size.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

maybe because he doesnt want to have to rename both everytime he wants to change servers making a batch file that does it means its a simple doubleclick obviously
Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 AM
opyrus
Hill Giant

a simple drag and drop would be just as simple to ..... whats the point i could write small app macro programs all day that do my bidding but why waste the time im not that lazy.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:35 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

and neither is trevius, that was a bit rude i gotta say. besides who are you to say how someone should perform a task?
Closed Thread