Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Houseplant
Fire Beetle

I just thought I would drop into this thread because I am having a host of problems getting EQ working. Whenever I launch the shortcut I get a black screen that shows the cursor and not much else. I crash the process and I get a "ResetDevice() failed" error.

I am running an AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor with an HD 6870 on Catalyst 12.1 (the latest driver).

I have tried re-installing EQ Titanium three times, run the .exe in compatibility mode (XP SP3), installed DX9, tried adjusting my desktop resolution, adding lines to eqclient.exe to force EQ to take a resolution, and a few other modifications to the target path on the shortcut to try and fix any possible multi-core issues.

I'm still at a loss for now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Rhyisa
Fire Beetle

@Tarlace - Sorry to hear it's not working. Though I did get it to work for hours yesterday. I'll leave that in the Update section.

@Houseplant - I did a little research for you, found 3 links. I'll summerize what I found in each.

1 - http://groups.google.com/group/alt.g...46547961bf71fb
This one says that EQ doesn't play nice with video drivers. Not specified which card type. There is a tidbit that says to have windowed and full-screen to match.

2 - http://everquest.allakhazam.com/foru...134534751&h=50
The 2nd message has a reply to check your monitor refresh rate, then edit the eqclient.ini file. It basically goes on to say that the "RefreshRate=0" is the culprit, and it should be set to your rate. Some varying results.

There are several other messages that point to AVG or Norton anti-virus being a problem. I personally use Avast! and have the directory where I install my games on as not scanned. I don't think that's the problem, so I'm thinking of changing that.

3 - http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8765
This thread talks about where DirectX failed to reset the Direct3D device. (2nd msg). However, there is a mention for WinEQ2, mentioned in the last three messages.

Here's the WinEQ2 link: http://www.lavishsoft.com/joomla/ind...&id=3&Itemid=4

Update:
Well, here's what I did to have greatly improved performance. But it did crash later in the day.

Ran with 2 monitors running
Put eqgame.exe into compatibility mode for WinXP SP2

Longest time was on Storm Haven (3-4 hours). On Irreverent, I went for 2 hours (a record! But nothing against that server. It's great there.)

So to help both Tarlace and Houseplant, here's what I would suggest.

1 - Take a look at the refresh rate and fix that.
2 - Put Eqgame.exe to WinXP SP2 mode.
3 - Download and install WinEQ2. (This is the one I'm trying next)
4 - I'm going to also set one monitor mode after trying WinEQ2. May not apply to you both.

So good luck on this you two. I'll report back on what happens.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Houseplant
Fire Beetle

Thank you, Rhyisa, for the well-written reply. I actually had a simple fix for the issue and I'm kicking myself for not thinking back to my *original* EQ days. I kept the game in WinXP SP3 Compatibility mode and when I got to the screen that normally just hung, I hit ALT+ENTER to window it and I was fine. I go to the options screen, changed the resolution to something a bit more amicable and voila! Game works just fine and is windowed to boot.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Nall
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynar View Post
I am running Win 7 professional 64 bit, and I have zero problems running Titanium or SoF clients. Just running straight out of the box, with no changes to anything in the system, or install process.

Haynar
same here.. fresh install last week of Win 7 64 bit Business Edition - no problem installing straight out of the box

Last edited by Nall; 03-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Noticed it was already fixed .. oops
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Rhyisa
Fire Beetle

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseplant View Post
Thank you, Rhyisa, for the well-written reply. I actually had a simple fix for the issue and I'm kicking myself for not thinking back to my *original* EQ days. I kept the game in WinXP SP3 Compatibility mode and when I got to the screen that normally just hung, I hit ALT+ENTER to window it and I was fine. I go to the options screen, changed the resolution to something a bit more amicable and voila! Game works just fine and is windowed to boot.
That's awesome Houseplant! Maybe I'll change back to XP SP3.

Lucky you Nall and Haynar. I dunno what's still going on with me.

Update:

Still crashing on WinEQ 2.0 Lite as of yesterday. But I had a thought - what if it's power? I'm running a 450W right now, gave my wife the 500W a while ago. Can't afford a new one right now. However, I've noticed little bits of improved performance once I disconnected these things:
  1. All the cold cathod lights (UV types - two of the converters)
  2. Just yesterday I unplugged one of my case fans (I have three right now) They are going through a fan controller. I can take one more out if I need to, just not the one that blows over the HD.

So it's leaving me to wonder if it was power all along! I'll have to "test" it this week. It sure would bite if that was the case.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Rhyisa
Fire Beetle

Talking

Update:

Turns out it was memory sticks. I had two older 512MB stick in my two other slots. Took them out, and presto, working EQ!!

I suspect that:
  1. They are old and damaged
  2. That the memory timings are different between the 1GB's (2) and the 512's

I'm thinking the later. Timings can account for the problems. Very strange. But I really don't know, just that they are out and I'm playing!