Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Tools

Development::Tools 3rd Party Tools for EQEMu (DB management tools, front ends, etc...)

Old 05-08-2014, 02:19 AM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Yeah, I missed the early days when it seems legal issues were discussed here a lot. Don't know much about all that stuff; curious where exactly the line would be drawn. Can I modify my own files? (Well, not much they can do there.) If so, what's to stop me from making and distributing a program which modifies peoples' files for them in a pre-set way, e.g. inserting new textures into an .s3d and modifying a .wld, but not distributing any of the original data from those files? Probably too blatant a loophole... presumably "modify" does come right after "distribute" on the list of Things You May Not Do.

For mob models, at least, I would be interested to see if they would work split up. I.e., load the file containing base data for a certain model, then load a brand new custom-made file which only contains data for a new texture set for that model. Would depend how the client's loader is structured -- but it already surprised me with how permissive it is: the Texture Adder just shoves new .wld data at the very end of the file rather than following the internal ordering/structure, and it works. Being in separate files is only a step further than that. Maybe.

I'm kind of disappointed that people in the early days were only really interested in custom zones and not, say, item models (to the extent than stuff is only documented as far as it is relevant to zones). Item models seem like they might be pretty open to having brand new data loaded from new files. (Unlike mob models which as far as I can tell are dependent on the client for the translation from 3-letter model code to race id numbers that go in server packets.)

Blah blah blah...
Old 05-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela_S View Post
Yeah, I missed the early days when it seems legal issues were discussed here a lot. Don't know much about all that stuff; curious where exactly the line would be drawn. Can I modify my own files? (Well, not much they can do there.) If so, what's to stop me from making and distributing a program which modifies peoples' files for them in a pre-set way, e.g. inserting new textures into an .s3d and modifying a .wld, but not distributing any of the original data from those files? Probably too blatant a loophole... presumably "modify" does come right after "distribute" on the list of Things You May Not Do.

For mob models, at least, I would be interested to see if they would work split up. I.e., load the file containing base data for a certain model, then load a brand new custom-made file which only contains data for a new texture set for that model. Would depend how the client's loader is structured -- but it already surprised me with how permissive it is: the Texture Adder just shoves new .wld data at the very end of the file rather than following the internal ordering/structure, and it works. Being in separate files is only a step further than that. Maybe.

I'm kind of disappointed that people in the early days were only really interested in custom zones and not, say, item models (to the extent than stuff is only documented as far as it is relevant to zones). Item models seem like they might be pretty open to having brand new data loaded from new files. (Unlike mob models which as far as I can tell are dependent on the client for the translation from 3-letter model code to race id numbers that go in server packets.)

Blah blah blah...
I wouldn't let that keep you from toying around with this. It is at the servers discretion to do what they want with graphic files. We can have the tools hosted here and guides around it but obviously we won't be redistributing Sony's intellectual property here.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM
vithmiris
Sarnak

Thanks for this, can't wait to get home and give this a whirl!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Starting to work on a .eqg weapon model importer type thing...

...will probably make a new thread when I have something presentable.

Making item models use new IDs is indeed as trivial for .eqg-style ones as it was for .s3d-style, so that's nice.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:14 AM
knowom
Discordant

Hmm looks like your using blender that's very promising!

I'd love to see a easy way to import/export files to and from blender to create s3d zones and objects between that and GIMP it's pretty much all the open source tools needed to do all 3D related customization content design stuff.

On the subject issue of private servers here's a interesting tweet comment I had made awhile back on twitter "@Aradune Interesting...to be getting endorsed support from private servers, but honestly its exactly the exposure you want @RichardGarriott"

Here's a tweet I got back in return from @RichardGarriott and for some clarification @Aradune is Brad McQuaid a key designer of EQ.

"@BinaryPimpSmack @Aradune While obviously we must protect our own bottom line & trademarks, private servers allow important self expression."

If so, what's to stop me from making and distributing a program which modifies peoples' files for them in a pre-set way, e.g. inserting new textures into an .s3d and modifying a .wld, but not distributing any of the original data from those files?

If you aren't distributing any original data then that's legal as far as I can interpret at least. Creating a program isn't illegal. As a example using a hack might be illegal depending on what's being done with it, but creating one isn't.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87281
Over at p1999 by Nilbog has a program that somewhat does what you say to fix some transparencies glitches within the early game and had this to say.

Is this legal?
Yes. This includes no copyrighted files. It simply modifies your existing files.

Based on Nilbog's claims and even from @RichardGarriott's response in regard to private servers I'd interpret that as yes it's legal. You aren't distributing anything you don't own and it's a important form of self expression a fundamental freedom of expression protected in the constitution your able to express it fully within the rules of the laws of it.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:06 AM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
I wouldn't let that keep you from toying around with this. It is at the servers discretion to do what they want with graphic files. We can have the tools hosted here and guides around it but obviously we won't be redistributing Sony's intellectual property here.
Very well said I think these new tools are a big step forward.

I think with a good method to save a custom patch files easily that other people could easily load into it to perform a set of variables this tool would be pretty near perfect.

Zaela_S you may find some useful info idea's in this thread. That post is actually what inspired me to do a full zone retexturing of Grobb with Skyrim mod textures.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...ighlight=legal

Here's another good link you may find useful it's a PDF file by Windcatcher on the .WLD file something I had recently tracked down and uncovered.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eqem...se_mirror=iweb

EQZoneViewer is a nice tool worth mentioning for zone texturing.

Here's a tool similar to EQZone Viewer also that I haven't tried, but judging from thread screenshots it looks nice!
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36087

I'm not sure who Sakrateri is, but he was doing some great Open Zone stuff and Windcatcher seemed impressed with it.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23422

Also here's a bunch a bunch of said Open Zone creations of Sakrateri's on a forum I found! I'm not sure if these are in the Open Zone section or not, but they defiantly should be achieved.
http://kinanu.proboards.com/thread/2...zones-finished
Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela_S View Post
We just need a program that would merge copyright free .s3d files into other .s3d files by the users on their end. From what I understand there is nothing illegal modifying the files on your own PC much like DJ's and music manipulation to remix songs. It's purely the distribution of copyright materials where the legality issue comes into play. WSUS Offline Update has a lot of great things to model a EQemu s3d file patching program around. Could even have a github feature to download individual user patch mods or even batch ones.

Using my Grobb texture project as a example.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1YE...dQQWtqZkE/edit

Simplifying the original text file instructions a bit I should have perhaps saved the custom textures found in the Grobb folder as Custom_Grobb.s3d. Then simply had users copy contents into the default grobb.s3d file. Backing up the original .s3d files someplace safe is still always recommend of course in case you'd like to revert back to defaults. Given the way I did have it saved uploaded though I'd just recommend taking the Grobb folder textures in the zip and adding them to default grobb.s3d file with S3DSpy. A backup copy still recommended.

In a WSUS Offline Patch inspired program you could take something like merge Grobb.s3d user mods to grobb.s3d with merge patch save options button and could have a check box for a batch merge patch save project. The file name for the mod files could really be whatever and user selected from a directory and same for the default S3D files being modded you could just have 1-10 base directory + mod directory with individual merge patch save buttons along with a check boxes if you wanted to do a batch patch file for simplicity.

This program would raise the interest level I feel of texture modding a lot at least for me personally. The distribution hurdle was what really deterred my overall initial enthusiasm I had when I worked on revamping Grobb. I'd have been much more inclined to do more zones otherwise especially with like a patch program that could download from a github repository. I'd touched on the subject before in another thread. I didn't really have a great relatively more simplified solution in mind just a generic one.

This could be viewed as a better alternative to Open Zone is because we could still enjoy our familiar zones and 3D models just in new dynamic ways. While technically still possible the idea of it is largely inaccessible and or simply not worth the effort from a individual standpoint. A way to mod distribute patch and share in a easily and accessible manner I feel it would greatly increase peoples interest levels by collectively making the game more unique and custom rather than mostly on a individual basis.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 PM
knowom
Discordant

If your still looking for a newer S3DSpy version here's S3DSpy 1.3.
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet...3DSpy_1.3.zip/

A lot of other neat stuff in the Download Files List portion as well
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet...ator/releases/