Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Question Change zone name?

I am in navicat and i changed the short and long name of the tutorial zone but only the short name changed and even then /w all and when i am actually zoning and the map all still say "tutorial".

I am wondering if changing the zone name requires as much work or the same stuff as making a new zone altogether????? seems like i changed a zone name once before just fine... Not sure if im doing something wrong... what sort of stuff would be needed to change the zone name here?

typing #zone newzonename takes me to the new zone but everything else still says tutorial.

On another note ... I been looking into making zones from scratch... what is needed to actually add the zones? i heard theres a couple different solutions and been looking around for weeks but im still lost... anyone put me on the right track?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Quote:
anyone put me on the right track?
One question mark is equally as effective as 5 yet has 100% less Im-a-twelve-year-old-girl feel to it.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
One question mark is equally as effective as 5 yet has 100% less Im-a-twelve-year-old-girl feel to it.

Not sure about the creating custom zones from scratch. Believe you can use some tools discussed on the boards and can replace a zone but do not think at this time you can actually add a new zone. Not sure myself and that topic line pretty well died.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:44 AM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwalkereci View Post

Not sure about the creating custom zones from scratch. Believe you can use some tools discussed on the boards and can replace a zone but do not think at this time you can actually add a new zone. Not sure myself and that topic line pretty well died.
I've seen some other servers do it and I've heard the word proxy kicked around but the reason I made this post is because regardless of my best efforts i am unable to find any information regarding how to start the process anywhere online or even what it is. thus im asking here. i believe it has something to do with intercepting the messages the server sends/receives or something of this nature - can anyone elaborate?

Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLGanjika View Post
I've seen some other servers do it and I've heard the word proxy kicked around but the reason I made this post is because regardless of my best efforts i am unable to find any information regarding how to start the process anywhere online or even what it is. thus im asking here. i believe it has something to do with intercepting the messages the server sends/receives or something of this nature - can anyone elaborate?
I am not sure what a proxy has to do with renaming a zone or making a new one. Proxies are for networking, which has nothing to do with zones.

You can rename zones, but in order to make the name change show up in game, you also have to update a certain file on all clients that play on your server. I don't recall what the file name is offhand, but I know it has been mentioned in a few thread on these forums and could probably be found with some quick searching.

You can also create all new custom zones using a tool like OpenZone, but I haven't really messed with it myself.

The main thing is that you can not add a new zone without actually modifying/hacking the eqgame.exe file itself. This is because the eqgame.exe file includes a list of all zone numbers that are valid for that client version. If you tried to add a new zone, which would have a new ID, the client wouldn't recognize it, and wouldn't be able to zone there. So, to add a new zone, you actually have to replace an existing zone. Just pick a random zone that isn't used much or at all, and you can use that. This is basically how the Shards of Dalaya server does all of their custom zones. But remember that all people who play on your server will need custom files downloaded from you that will make the custom names show up on their end.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Thanks for that post Trevius. As usual you come to the rescue with useful information.
Was going to suggest this guy talk to the Shards admin and ask them what file they changed for the clients.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 AM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
I am not sure what a proxy has to do with renaming a zone or making a new one. Proxies are for networking, which has nothing to do with zones.
Guess its called ZoneProxy... Made by the same dude who made openzone (i think... correct me if im wrong please) - I am looking for a place to get it at the moment...

Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 PM
GLGanjika
Hill Giant

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLGanjika View Post
Guess its called ZoneProxy... Made by the same dude who made openzone (i think... correct me if im wrong please) - I am looking for a place to get it at the moment...
Didn't see many links to download Zoneproxy so i thought I'd share one here:

Click Here to Downloack ZoneProxy 1.5

[as a note: the editing time isn't really all that long on this forum, sorry again for double post :(, i just feel as though a another link to this
download wouldn't hurt, it took me awhile to find it, the url is to the original download link at sourceforge.. ]

Old 02-03-2016, 04:39 AM
Warking
Hill Giant

Hate to bring up an old post. Anyone know the files to change client side for zone name changes? I updated dbstr but I am not sure the others.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

eqgame.exe

Old old clients pulled zone names entirely from the string files, but newer clients hardcode them, as I recall.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 AM
Warking
Hill Giant

I used resource hacker and resource tuner to open the eqgame.exe file but do not see entries in there. Perhaps it has been packed by another compiler? Or the strings for the zones long names are not in the .exe
Old 02-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Uleat
Developer

Zone info is not easily read...

Code:
.text:0062A6B4 00C                 push    0               ; int
.text:0062A6B6 010                 push    0               ; int
.text:0062A6B8 014                 push    0               ; int
.text:0062A6BA 018                 push    0C18004h        ; int
.text:0062A6BF 01C                 push    8D6h            ; int
.text:0062A6C4 020                 push    offset WestCommonlands ; "West Commonlands"
.text:0062A6C9 024                 push    offset commons ; "commons"
.text:0062A6CE 028                 push    15h             ; int
.text:0062A6D0 02C                 push    0               ; int
.text:0062A6D2 030                 mov     ecx, esi
.text:0062A6D4 030                 call    sub_629FA0
But, can be found:
Code:
Long Name: "West Commonlands"
Short Name: "commons"
ID: 21
Expansion: "EverQuest" (0)
Unknown Data: 1:push    0|2:push    0|3:push    0