Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:45 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Default DikuMUD may be the foundation of the mmo revolution we seek

Everyone always asks why EQ was so good and addicting and immersive. Mabye instead of repairing it without having all the tools it was created with, we go back to the source that EQ used. Some of you know this some probably don't but it seems very likely that EQ used DikuMUD source code to write everquest. Mabye the best project we could have is to figure out exactly how EQ was created so we can create our own game just like how 989 created EQ. Maybe that is the element missing. You can't build a better ferrari with scrap ferrari parts. You have to learn how ferrari builds its own cars, then make your own in a similar process.

So lets say EQ used dikumud's source code and then somehow through a gui onto it and blammo EQ was made. Mabye it is simpler than we think to do this the professional way and carry on the true legacy of EQ and do it proud.

Quote:
It has been proposed by Raph Koster (lead designer of Ultima Online and chief creative officer of EverQuest II) that Diku has resulted in the greatest proliferation of gameworlds due to being the easiest to set up and use.[14][15] He further pointed out that "Diku codebases did eventually popularize many of the major developments in muds",[16] and that the Diku gameplay provided inspiration for numerous MMORPGs, including EverQuest, World of Warcraft and Ultima Online.[17]
Old 10-13-2015, 08:36 AM
provocating
Demi-God

You are trolling at this point.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:19 AM
MarcusD
Banned

It is the only real way forward. I will help adriand to learn about the nuts and bolts of the game but best case scenario reworking the database would get us a product like p99 bugs and all. I think for the same amount of work we could make a new game and engine that is better than eq. There aren't any tools 989 had 19 years ago that we don't have. I don't mind hard work but I would rather save myself 12,000 hours wasted time if possible, and use that time to build something right instead of a hackjob.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:21 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
It is the only real way forward. I will help adriand to learn about the nuts and bolts of the game but best case scenario reworking the database would get us a product like p99 bugs and all. I think for the same amount of work we could make a new game and engine that is better than eq. There aren't any tools 989 had 19 years ago that we don't have.
I'm not having any problems creating the game I want using the tools and resources already available to me. But hey man, you're more than welcome to recreate the wheel.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Cilraaz
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
I'm not having any problems creating the game I want using the tools and resources already available to me. But hey man, you're more than welcome to recreate the wheel.
Gonna be tough to reinvent the wheel without any coding or database knowledge, though.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:27 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
Gonna be tough to reinvent the wheel without any coding or database knowledge, though.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:28 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
My quest is to reverse engineer everquest and the deeper back you go the easier it is to learn. Do you suggest I learn coding by looking at eq code or dikumud code? Dikumud is a large step more basic. Its the difference of learning to speak japanese vs trying to learn japanese from encrypted messages.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:31 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
My quest is to reverse engineer everquest and the deeper back you go the easier it is to learn. Do you suggest I learn coding by looking at eq code or dikumud code? Dikumud is a large step more basic. Its the difference of learning to speak japanese vs trying to learn japanese from encrypted messages.
Trolling aside, I would suggest you learn code by actually coding.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 AM
provocating
Demi-God

I am not normally one for meme's, but I will leave this here. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:51 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
Thats great but what I am getting at is a bunch of people want a reversion to classic EQ in order to create a clean slate to build on. But it has been evidenced by p99 that it isn't really possible in even 12,000 hours to achieve that clean slate original everquest. But we can achieve a very clean slate, the same slate eq used, by using dikumud.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:51 AM
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
I am not normally one for meme's, but I will leave this here. Thanks.

Lol and troll has made eqemu forums more lively than they have been for years. Scary.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM
MarcusD
Banned

I think a few eq nerds need to get out more. Troll is the only comeback you have.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:09 AM
MarcusD
Banned

So this is my plan (too much open source info? lol)

My plan is to keep playing eq till max level (currently at level 15 druid on my own server) because I never did complete it, and take notes and analyze everything and my experience. While doing this I will work on classicifying the database with adrian to learn about eq's database.

After that I am going to dikumud and playing/learning/deving that and learn about the source and how to use it. Once I feel confident I know how to administer dikumud (I may have to go back further and learn some C# to do that) I will come back to eq. When I am back I will play every class up to the 20's to get a feel for every class in EQ which I feel they did exceptionally well.

From there, well, I'll build something new.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Cilraaz
Sarnak

As others have said, if you want to do anything with the database or server code, you probably want to learn SQL and C++. Advancing your SQL/C++ knowledge via working on the emu is great, but learning the basics should be done separately.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Shendare
Dragon

MarcusD, you seem to have misread a portion of that paragraph.

Quote:
...the Diku gameplay provided inspiration for numerous MMORPGs, including EverQuest, World of Warcraft and Ultima Online.
EQ was "inspired" by the "gameplay" of Diku MUD. It says absolutely nothing about using any code from them. It was also inspired by WoTMUD, as well as D&D ( the world was developed in a D&D campaign [ http://eq2.zam.com/story.html?story=17392 ] ), fairy tales, film and television, etc.

My understanding, however, is that the EQ codebase was put together from scratch, and the craziness of the client file formats rather tends to agree with that. lol. They built an early graphics engine with DirectX, as was often done at the time before there were companies dedicated to making game engines for others to use.

I remember waaaay back reading something about the Unreal engine of the 90s being utilized in some way, but haven't found anything to corroborate that over the years. Maybe it was another 'inspiration' situation.

While I assume they've moved to relational databases since they talked about it years back, they tended to use a lot of text files on the server side, because it saves them from having to worry about binary file format changes and database schema changes.

But, yeah, no reference to DikuMUD code being used in EverQuest. Its gameplay, and MUD gameplay in general, was an inspiration for the birth of video game RPG gameplay across the board.