Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > EQEmu Operations Center

EQEmu Operations Center Web development tools

Old 05-27-2019, 01:41 AM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Smile spells_us issue (Spirit of Wolf)

So I've run into an interesting issue where Spirit of Wolf is saying I need a minimum level of 255 to scribe it.

I scoured the EQEmulator forums and everyone seems to point in the direction of using the default spells_us file that came with the Titanium client install instead of the spells_us file that I had from when I recently played on P99.

I took their advice and this did fix the 255 minimum level requirement for spells like Spirit of Wolf, but it came at a massive price. Now all of my spell icons are wrong and the spell effects are wrong. Totally un-classic.

Is there really no way to simply update the minimum required level of a single spell in the database? Am I really required to use the default spells_us file that comes from the Titanium install, instead of using the P99 spells_us file and simply editing the 255 down to the appropriate level?

I've searched the database far and wide and I cannot find a single entry that defines the spell (or the item Spell: Spirit of Wolf) as requiring any sort of level at all. Surely there is a way to manipulate this without losing all of the progress that the P99 staff have made with the spells_us file being true to classic.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2019, 02:39 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Your client spell files should match the database.(spells_new and dbstr tables). What you should do, is first, make sure there is an Export and Import folder in your main server folder. Then if you run a file called export_client_files.exe (in your server folder), it will generate 4 files for your client to use. spells_us.txt, dbstr_us.txt (these go in your main client folder) also, BaseData.txt and SkillCaps.txt which go into your client/resources folder. Then your client files will match the server data.
You can also do the reverse with the import_client_files.exe in your server folder. If you take those 4 files from your client, put them in the Import folder and run the import executable, it will suck the new data into the database.
If edit any of those 4 tables in your database, afterwards, you would need to export them again for your client to get the updates.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:21 AM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Default I gave it a shot

Ok so it looks like I really messed things up this time. I read your post and decided to try importing the P99 files into my database first since the P99 files already have everything setup to look classic. The problem is P99 doesn't use BaseData.txt or SkillCaps.txt, so I imported the only two files I had available from the P99 client side, which were spells_us.txt and dbstr_us.txt. Then I logged into my server and I was unable to cast spells, sit, target NPC's or open the spell book. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that I imported without bringing the BaseData.txt and SkillCaps.txt (since I was unable to find them in the P99 client/resources folder). Obviously I did something majorly wrong, so I loaded my server backup files and rebooted the server. Same issue. So I figured the database must be permanently messed up, so I loaded a backup of the database, and that restored most of my spells, but I still cannot sit, cast spells, target NPC's, etc. I can, however, open the spellbook now, although I cannot unscribe a spell or scribe a spell, even with the GM command #unscribespell.

So I then tried to use my backups and go the other way, where I export my database files and overwrite the old P99 files, but P99 doesn't have BaseData.txt or SkillCaps.txt anywhere in their entire client folder (not even the resources folder) so I just put the BaseData.txt and SkillCaps.txt into the P99 client/resources folder and tried that, but that also gave me the same results.

What's frustrating is that even my backups are not opening properly now, so I think I completely broke my server and will have to start over. Is this an irreversible thing? I have a backup copy of my entire server from how it worked last night before I went to bed and I also have a backup of my P99 client files, so I'm not sure why that doesn't just start me back to where I was. I'm pretty confused and need some guidance if you can offer any more insight. Thank you
Old 05-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

If you're trying to use a P99 client/files at all, forget it. That will not be compatible with any server, except P99, without having problems. Your best bet is to use a clean Titanium client, (if that's your flavour) and forget P99's files. Their patch files are specific to their own code/database.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 AM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Default Ok so...

I figured out that all of these errors are only occurring after I try to cast the only spell I have memorized (Clarity II).

If I don't try to cast that spell, I can still target NPC's, sit, stand, open the book etc.

I unscribed the spell but it's permanently stuck on my GUI bar as the only spell I have available. Nothing I do get's rid of it. It appears that after messing with the spells list, the spells I had already memorized (in this case, I only had Clarity II in my book) that spell is no longer functional.

I figured maybe my character was bugged, so I made a brand new enchanter, and he also cannot memorize the spell Clarity II. He gets the same error my original enchanter did "Unexpected error: spell id out of range"

Other spells load and scribe fine, it's only Clarity II that was affected, since this was the only spell I had memorized when I messed with the import/export the first time. Maybe this helps offer some more information into what's happening
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Default Thank you

Ok, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and use a clean Titanium client and get everything to look classic piece by piece over time. Thank you sir!
Old 05-27-2019, 10:23 AM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Ok I completely uninstalled the previous EQ client and installed a fresh titanium. Same issue. This is so strange!!! No idea what to do now. Any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:06 AM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Annnnnnnnd the rabbit hole goes deeper.

I completely deleted and re-installed the server and the client. Now nothing is related to P99, but all spells show up as needing 255 as the required level and all the information is wrong. For instance, Clarity II is saying it's a Skill: 1hb and when I try to memorize the spell it says "Your class can never use the Spell: Clarity II" even though I'm a level 60 Enchanter.

This is going to be fun! haha
Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 AM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

It worked!!! Here's what I did:

Fresh Titanium install
Fresh PEQ install
Exported BaseData.txt, dbstr_us.txt, SkillCaps.txt, spells_us.txt and placed them on the client side like you suggested.

Now I am able to cast spells again, even though nothing is classic.

Better than not being able to cast!!! I appreciate your help. This is all part of the learning curve and you have been very helpful to me in many posts.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

You need to keep something in mind, which has been a "sensitive" topic around here for a long time. There has been a lot of time and effort, YEARS of work that has gone into a server like P99. It's not just work on the database or quests, it has involved custom work in the source code as well, to make a classic server like that. The vanilla PEQ that everyone downloads is being built around the modern EQ. Even though the expansions are limited right now, the PEQ focuses more on current live and has no intentions of preserving classic EQ. If anyone, with the knowledge, (both database and source code) has that desire, you are on your own to spend the years of work involved to make a server as close to classic as P99 has accomplished. As for now, you will find a ton of modern EQ in that database. (defiant gear, all that kind of modern QoL, etc) Hint: if you want to really know what that database is all about, just log on to the PEQTGC. That's where our PEQ comes from. It's the same thing.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:59 PM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

I 100% agree with you. There has been a lot of work I have no idea about that went into making a server like P99 feel classic.

I am prepared to put in the work to get my server as close to classic as possible, even though I don't have the staff or knowledge yet, I can still do a lot of things on my own (and with the help) of people on these forums like yourself =)

I appreciate your help and advice as always Huppy! =)
Old 01-22-2023, 04:46 PM
bryan4268
Fire Beetle

I have resolved this issue , I forget which field is was but if you simply search for spell spirit of wolf, you’ll see multiple entries one of those entries requires no mana and 20 endurance. There are a bunch of fields to the right of that ( using phpmyadmin or Heidi sql) with values of 1 and 0 simple make values of 278 match those of the endurance cost one and it will work.

For a more simple fix , 255 all classes of spell I’d 278, copy the endurance spell to a new spell ID ( leaving the old ones there) and then change the endurance cost to 0 and the mana to 40 and make sure the cast on others value is set as well as indoor outdoor casting. Then go to the items table and locate the item spell:spirit of wolf ( I believe it is 11278 not 100% sure going from memory) and make sure you replace the spell scribe field ( value will be 27 to the Id of your newly created spell. I am on my phone and later today I will post a sql command to actually fix spell 278 , and i will also post it to be corrected from the server side for future downloads. Feel free to send me a private message if you need help with broken spells like this. They’re a few others.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:49 PM
bryan4268
Fire Beetle

Ignore the above post, go into spells _new db entry search for spell %spirit of wolf % and copy everything from 278 to 1776 , that is the spell ID p99 uses. Then go to item search for spell: spirit of wolf and change the scroll effect to 1776 so you can scribe it. As stated above your server will never work like p99 as they have modified the .cpp files to change the way things work. It is possible however to build a server that is playable with the p99 patch files, but there are a few issues, if they update their patch files which they do often you’ll need to reflect those changes, and since they’re vague on what they do you’ll be stuck figuring it out. Not to mention p99 uses a special .dll file to watch for cheating.

It took me a long time in order to have my server work fully with p99 patch files. Every time I fixed one thing it seemed like another thing broke.