Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:02 PM
vonamist
Fire Beetle

Default Quick Poll-- Responses Required - Discussion?

Hey again, everyone---

just curious as there are a limited number of us PEQ'ers-- what would it take you to leave your current server and what brought you to the server you're on OR what keeps you there and what do you like about your current server?

I put up some ads for the server I play on (FVP original server and FVP Kunark see my two prior posts for info on the server/preferred in green with years of devlopment and kick ass GMs) a couple times the past couple months, but I'm curious what each of you thinks of your own servers and why you would stick around or what would encourage you to leave?

Things you like/dislike-- etc...

anyone interested in a discussion regarding this?

not a rant, but let's start a conversation!!

For me, I chose FVP because it offers a classic EQ experience but allows the flexibility of agents of change along with being bot friendly while still offering experiences for those who don't like bots-- additionally, due to being a FVP ruleset, most items (as is the case with FVP live as well) are not "no drop" or "soulbound" so you can help others and grow your gear collection through active trading, etc.

Not to mention again the devs are top notch--

I see a lot of people read the messages here but few post-- interested to hear from each of you whether you play on FVP or not-- hope all of you are well out there in EQ land!

Reeves/Sinnexx/Brovo (mains) on FVP
Old 11-04-2022, 05:39 AM
Vire70
Sarnak

By FVP do you mean Firiona Vie Project? I played there a little bit, probably close to two years ago now. I don't remember there being any bots at the time, have they added that?
It was a well made server, I was impressed by how classic-accurate content was, but I'm not a big fan of boxing and usually tire of it quite quickly, and it seemed most people on the server were boxing groups (similar to PEQ, which I don't play for the same reason). Bots are preferable in that regard since it's lower effort.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:56 AM
vonamist
Fire Beetle

Default FVP (Firiona Vie Project)

yes, green preferred status, Firiona Vie Project!

Ahh I understand what you mean on bots vs mq2 groups now. Yes, the "bots" on fvp are controlled by the player and there are people who use mq2 for a "botted" group along with a main and those that team up old school (or a combination of both!).

As the population grows, more team up-- the idea behind it is the accuracy which is awesome too. The question is/was though-- what makes you stay on a server? and I didn't mean PEQ the server-- I meant moreso like EQ EMU as a whole-- what server do you stick with and why? what would cause you to leave or go to a new server?

I still think the FVP server is the best fit for me personally, but man there are a lot of talented people out there running these things and then many of us still playing "old school" eq after all these years....so I was interested...just a general discussion and if some of you make your way to FVP Kunark that would be awesome too!

thoughts, everyone?
Old 11-04-2022, 08:21 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

I have never played on FVP but after I saw this post I started reading about it. I think that I would like it if I could manage to hit 60 with out burning out due to the level grind. And the burnout factor would hold true for other servers as well.
I have been playing on Al’Kabor for a little while now and I really like the server. The people there are very friendly and helpful. Planes of Power is one of my favorite eras of Everquest so that helps too. My one complaint would be the windows game client used on that server is not easy to get used to after using RoF/RoF2 for so many years.
I have also played on PEQ, EZ Server and many others about ten or so years ago. To me the use of Mercs/Bots really ruins the game so I would likely avoid any server that allows them. The one thing that really keeps interested in a server is the custom content. This stems from the fact I spent eight years raiding on EQ live and in doing so I have seen a lot of expansions from beginning to end. I also run my own private server so that I can have my own game world where I can remove or alter the very things that cause me to burnout from the grind of a lot of servers.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:30 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonamist View Post

For me, I chose FVP because it offers a classic EQ experience but allows the flexibility of agents of change along with being bot friendly
Is that OP statement implying that TT implemented "bots" on the FV server ? I am finding that hard to believe. He put a lot of "classic" work into that server (both original and kunark) and I cannot even fathom the idea of him doing that. Hopefully he shows up here and corrects (or validates) this conversation.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:40 AM
vonamist
Fire Beetle

Default in answer to huppy

hi, Huppy! I will try again to clarify but would be great to see TT here as well if he chooses.

I may not be as good at the lingo (apologies for that!) but some players myself included consider an mq2 controlled char a "bot" in a party...this is a char levelled up from scratch by the player just like any other pal/war/wiz/clr etc and normal races etc). I learned the terminology when I started eq emu and can't remember where I picked it up...now whether this is accurate/what others consider a bot or not I don't know but I'm guessing my meaning was lost in translation because of a poor choice in describing it?
You're correct in saying that the he server is extremely accurate for era and the work he put in along with the other devs is evident in everything!

To be clear, FVP allows players to control chars using mq2 - there are no mercenaries on the server and I'm not sure what kind of other "bots" there are on other servers but there are no others there and this is a probably a case of me not understanding the lingo.

For one more bit of info to clarify, here is the wiki link:

https://fvproject.com/index.php/Main_Page

I feel bad that the thread got hijacked by me screwing up the meaning of "bots" but I was interested in finding out what makes people stay or go from their servers whether that be FVP or not. Hey you know what tho - we got people talking which is good tho I think?

Have a great weekend, all!!

Sinn
Old 11-05-2022, 12:15 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonamist View Post
To be clear, FVP allows players to control chars using mq2 - there are no mercenaries on the server and I'm not sure what kind of other "bots" there are on other servers but there are no others there and this is a probably a case of me not understanding the lingo.
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about the use of MQ2. (I've never used it). The "bots" I am referring to is something a server can implement, which is kind of like mercs, but you can spawn a few, or an army of them, (up to 70+ if you want) gear them all up and control them all with commands. They will follow you around, like a merc does, haha

Some servers have them, but they are not too popular.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:29 PM
Voltage
Fire Beetle

Default Best servers period.

First start classic server run it like a TLP 3-6 months unlock get to PoP.

Start 2 server same thing 3-6 month unlock. Once it hits 3-6 on PoP dump it's population onto server 1.

Repeat..