Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:42 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Default Dragons of Mist [HC]

I launched Dragons of Mist nearly two years ago. Since then it has changed a slightly from my original vision but is still a great server in it's own right. A month ago I was able to procure additional i.p. addresses so that I could host multiple servers. I have now launched an additional server that is the genuine vision I once had and will remain true to that vision.

Dragons of Mist [HC] is exactly like it sounds, it is hard core much like Everquest was back in the beginning. Bots on a server can be great for fun but can also be quite a distraction for me. You end up in a click fest of "point and kill", sure you get to see content that you may had never gotten to see in live. Playing on my own server for the past year I have noticed that I never really got to know my character, I never had to cast that much as a Magician, the bots did most of the work for me. For the last month playing on [HC] I have noticed the original feeling of playing EQ as I remember it, the experience is completely different not having the bots there. Hard core in my vision does not mean permanent death, but definitely plenty of death along the way. So basically we have this...

• No bots
  • No donation system (like DoM original)
  • PEQ content up to GoD
  • Extremely high uptime
  • Extremely robust server
  • No hand outs....none...nada
  • No buff bots
  • No spell scribers
  • Original starting locations, no Tuturial B
  • Slightly lower than normal XP rate
  • Single connection to the server, no dual boxing

This server is definitely not for most people but I do invite you to try it. What we have been doing so far to survive is to use our veteran AA's to do resurrections or just eat the XP. For those looking for the BOT type server, DoM will always be around, it takes very little time to keep the server upgrades going so I will keep it running indefinitely. Both servers are legit and I will always keep it that way.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 AM
knowom
Discordant

I agree with and like your stance on most all of these things. I don't know what your server is like, but I don't care for buff bots, bots, boxing, mercs, ect personally I feel it degrades the social experience of EQ. I know people like them because it makes things easier in ways, but it also spoils the challenge as well on top of spoiling the social interaction aspect.

I can't say I'm a fan of large scale hardcore raiding requirements which I'm not sure how this server is in regard to that, but I don't think bots, boxing, or mercs are really proper solutions to that issue and create as many or more issues than they address. That said good luck with this project it seems like a very sound one that a lot of players seeking a challenge and that social interaction aspect could enjoy a lot.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 AM
trentn
Fire Beetle

Default ...

Everything was great until - Single connection to the server, no dual boxing

Seems like a clone of P99- just not 'as' classic.

Good luck with this-

D -
Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM
sunbeam
Sarnak

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see how this is workable.

Look you are not going to get the population of something like P1999.

So tell me about the play experience of a warrior or rogue on this server. You can insert a lot of other classes in those spots.

You can do the old necro soloing some gear for the class you really want to play. Or maybe an enchanter or bard to do some of their particular types of soloing. A druid or Wizard quadding. A mage doing their solo that works quit well in some locations, but no where near what a necro could do.

But the xp gain is pretty low. You are going to be grinding. Then maybe grinding on another class depending on what you do.

What about epics? I kind of think that some of them aren't going to be doable solo. Maybe if you play long enough to get to GoD content or something, maybe a shaman or necro could solo theirs (don't really know those quests). What about everyone else? Some epics require you to go to sky. That is probably a non-starter for most classes.

This is a catch-22. If you want to have anything like live, you have to have the population. If you don't have that, then a bunch of the classes I mentioned above is pretty much what you are going to have.

So most servers adjust things somehow, either with boxing, bot armies, gear drops, or tweaking the mechanics.

But a classic style server with none of that? If they don't come, it won't be viable, not really. If they do come, maybe it will be then, but you would have to have people willing to work with others and dedicate time to doing content as a group.

At best you might get 50 or so people on at a given time, if your server is a runaway success. And to progress very far, those guys would basically have to function like a raid guild.

Just don't think it is going to happen.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Khokon
Fire Beetle

Hello,

sounds good. If you allowed dual-boxing then I imagine you would get it to 50+ players. I think many people are really looking for a server like that.

Best regards,
Khokon
Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Yes, the boxing may be an issue. The boxing is not something I am completely firm on, the bots and the donation system I am completely against.

I also do not want to make any rash decisions so I will sleep on it and see what I come up with. If I do allow boxing then it would not be by donation system though, I am just totally against donations.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Cfuson
Fire Beetle

I saw the "HC" tagged on the forum topic and so thought this was going to be a "if you die your character is gone for good server"......... bummer

Honestly every new server now and days needs a catch 22 or it just wont get any population or loyal fan base.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Think about a 2 or 3 connection by IP limit.
I boxed on live from 3 months after I started playing in 2001. No MQ, just two computers. To me, that is my classic experience.

But, most of all this is your server, make it how YOU want it. Just offering my thoughts.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
Think about a 2 or 3 connection by IP limit.
I boxed on live from 3 months after I started playing in 2001. No MQ, just two computers. To me, that is my classic experience.

But, most of all this is your server, make it how YOU want it. Just offering my thoughts.
Agree with this.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:05 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I am definitely putting some consideration into this. Now as a player myself I doubt I would two box very often, I am a soloer at heart. Now I may would level players on two accounts separately and use them for an emergency situation, or power leveling. The thing for me is not to make a rash decision, once you make a change like that it is permanent. I do not like making a decision like this and changing it on the players. If I do it I would probably limit it to 2~3 connections. I would not like seeing groups of players totally controlled by something like MQ, if that is even possible (I do not know much about MQ). I would like to see a higher server population of course, I am in this for the long haul.

I really appreciate the responses, and I agree that it is a decision I have to make.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 PM
trentn
Fire Beetle

Basically - a good population of people are looking for a p99 server that you can 2-3 box on. I hate mercs and bots - I'd rather box 2-3 chars.

Reason? I have 2 kids and a family. A lot of groups don't like when you have to afk to whipe a kid's butt or get dinner ready. It allows me to do some stuff on my own.

Yes - there is a population that likes custom-custom stuff - but from my experience (and the fact that P99 is the most populated server) - people want a classic server - but one you have the ability to box on.

Just my 2 cp.

D-
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentn View Post
Basically - a good population of people are looking for a p99 server that you can 2-3 box on. I hate mercs and bots - I'd rather box 2-3 chars.

Reason? I have 2 kids and a family. A lot of groups don't like when you have to afk to whipe a kid's butt or get dinner ready. It allows me to do some stuff on my own.

Yes - there is a population that likes custom-custom stuff - but from my experience (and the fact that P99 is the most populated server) - people want a classic server - but one you have the ability to box on.

Just my 2 cp.

D-
Wow, I am really glad you guys are giving such great feedback. I had no idea that with as many servers are out there, there was need for a server like that.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 PM
trentn
Fire Beetle

Default ..

most the servers are solo or have bots and are custom. Custom are a dime a dozen imo - there's not enough classic servers with just a touch of custom.

D-
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentn View Post
Basically - a good population of people are looking for a p99 server th
Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
Wow, I am really glad you guys are giving such great feedback. I had no idea that with as many servers are out there, there was need for a server like that.

I disagree. These servers pop up all the time and fade away just as quick. There's never enough population to support them.

Good example is Clumsy's World, was the most popular classic server until P99 came along. Population dropped so devs added boxing. CW adds Kunark and begins work on velious to try and tempt players back, open new content, etc and no one comes. They take a break, come back with the same style but added a central zone and a separate custom progression path (balanced with regular progression) in order to add more content, threw gm events regularly, tons of awesome ring-style events and unique boss fights found no where else. Nothing.

CW had an extremely dedicated developer with a massive focus on quality. Fixed bugs fast. Helped often. Was extremely strict on his GM/Guide policies to prevent abuse. Etc. I see it every few months people begging for a server like this, but when they get it they never play on it.

Server keeps dwindling only about 4-5 consistent players. With boxing that's enough to do content but hell for only 5 people you may as well just host a private server.

I wish you the best either way.

Edit: To clarify on the "break." The Dev got deployed to Afghanistan for a year so it did a number on him and his family. He came back stronger than ever though. Sad no one supported it :(
Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 PM
provocating
Demi-God

The difference is though, no matter what I am not going anywhere. I do not care if the population is always 0 or 1, I will always keep my servers running. I have an extremely stable job, no drama, great income. Since I am not going to monkey with the database much or at all, I will not be apt to experience burnout. I am not going for any population count at all. I was just giving a small announcement in case anyone does want to play.