Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Davood
Discordant

Default the ghost of alakamin

wow. i've been AWOL from this community for quite some time.

anyways. the last 3 years have been very busy for me and i basically pulled the plug on my eqemu activities late last year.

i just couldn't keep up with the amazing new updates. also .lua (which i am familiar with now due to other projects i've worked on) was alien to me.

now that I am more familiar with lua i've been thinking (slobbering over myself?) about eqemu again and the fun times i had.

one of my big problems with alakamin was the amount of processing I had put into the nasty perl scripts i wrote (10s of 1000s of lines worth). I had written scripts to generate monsters based on rules i had created externally. I was 99% done converting all of allakhazam.com into my DB for use up to the (rifts?) expansion. and then RL hit me and i had to focus on that. perl is inneficient and the crashign and slowness was killing my spirit to continue and i was scared of .lua like a luddite

I kind of want to do alakamin over again, with the same general features (player deities/worshippers, 100s of race options, bank interest, offline item gifting between players, scripted monster generation and balance, etc). but I want/need to rewrite everything in .lua and start from a fresh database. (I can bring over some rewards - account based to the people who played on previous alakamin)

anyways. take my post with a grain of salt since im a filthy casual now.

maybe we can do a little discussion on this to see what people think. have other people taken up the torch and done the things ive done in the past? should I even bother? can i convert some of my old database over to facilitate my development work? (like my npc spawns. i really dont want to do those over again i love them the way they are. I had everything up to rifts ready to go)
Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

As long as you've got your old database, the new updater script should be able to pull it up to current with little or no manual intervention. It's very handy. I've updated a bunch of old databases with it, so I'm sure that part at least won't be a problem.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Davood
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ctrnl View Post
As long as you've got your old database, the new updater script should be able to pull it up to current with little or no manual intervention. It's very handy. I've updated a bunch of old databases with it, so I'm sure that part at least won't be a problem.
holy science

> < much closer to doing it

I just spent some time browsing the other server threads. seems some people have done the things i've done in the past like expanding the races and classes.

Tags
filthy casul, poofing, vaporware