Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:15 AM
tako_EQ
Fire Beetle

Default why the same zones on all servers?

havent played eqemu in a while, been on and off different servers for a really long time... just curious, why do pretty much all servers use the same zones for content?

and it is always older stuff, like pop and before. i am just curious if there is a reason, or if it is just nostalgia.

there are a ton of newer zones, if nothing else just for the layout, that i have never seen once on any emu server be used.

thanks !~
Old 10-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Anon.GM
Fire Beetle

I think because they are hoping those areas get developed and released as the game gets more developed. I'm not sure if others have done this, but my bots server Anon (bots) I started at the bottom of the zone listings and picked some of the content that fits my style of the server and developed them for the players. So on Anon (bots) I run 5 zones from what I think on live EQ are around level 90ish but here i adjusted it for level 70 with bots. My idea here is that I don't plan on raising the level beyond 70 so I may as well use the content available. The problems you may experience though is the zones may be unstable or have other problems since they are have not been fully developed yet. Nothing wrong with trying them out and just go for it though. :o)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:46 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

a) Most "custom" servers usually means - we take existing zones, add a single named mob to it and change XP modifier to 5x. There are only a handful truly custom servers out there

b) a lot of people want to have their own "real old EQ", again taking base PEQ DB, adjusting few things here and there and making it open to public. These type of servers pop up on average every 2 weeks and have a lifespan of about 1 month.

c) Most of people do not ready to put a lot of work into a server and not very creative - populating empty zone with new content - that's like completely crazy idea. They need their new EQ server running tomorrow, not 6 months from now
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

I think the majority of the community prefers old world, live-like content. This is evident by the fact that P99 has more players than all of the rest of the emu community combined.

I do not fall into this category. I will not play on any server that is just pop and below. I prefer a combination of live-like plus custom. Imperium, UltimateEQ, Leetsauce are good examples of what I prefer... but you're right, they all use the same zones.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
a) Most "custom" servers usually means - we take existing zones, add a single named mob to it and change XP modifier to 5x. There are only a handful truly custom servers out there

b) a lot of people want to have their own "real old EQ", again taking base PEQ DB, adjusting few things here and there and making it open to public. These type of servers pop up on average every 2 weeks and have a lifespan of about 1 month.

c) Most of people do not ready to put a lot of work into a server and not very creative - populating empty zone with new content - that's like completely crazy idea. They need their new EQ server running tomorrow, not 6 months from now
You've put approximately 0.0 hours into a server as well.

Most people use the same zones because of layout.

On a custom server, people like familiarity, which is usually up to Planes of Power for nostalgia sake.

Alot of the EMU community doesn't chase live, and doesn't know the TSS+ zones, I know I don't.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:38 PM
GlassDeviant
Sarnak

I played from beta through VoA, with some breaks. It would be great to see all of that content and more, but someone has to recreate it and there doesn't seem to be a vast horde of people willing to do that. I've only even known about the emualtor for let's see...a week? If that, but maybe someday I'll know enough to make an attempt.

Heck I can't even get into Sanctuary Hills, even the base zone to do the WR bag quest, and even some Kunark zones are missing stuff. Still haven't been killed by Kizdean Gix once in E. Commons, though I had to kill Fippy a couple times for old times sake.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
You've put approximately 0.0 hours into a server as well.
I will let you stay clueless on this one =P

Quote:
Most people use the same zones because of layout.

On a custom server, people like familiarity, which is usually up to Planes of Power for nostalgia sake.

Alot of the EMU community doesn't chase live, and doesn't know the TSS+ zones, I know I don't.

But I agree with this. Most players (and devs) come for nostalgia sake. However when "CUSTOMIZATION" ideas arise, and someone decides "lets make a new cool vampire zone!", which zone do they pick for this? The Crushbone of course!

Quote:
I played from beta through VoA, with some breaks. It would be great to see all of that content and more, but someone has to recreate it and there doesn't seem to be a vast horde of people willing to do that. I've only even known about the emualtor for let's see...a week? If that, but maybe someday I'll know enough to make an attempt.
People keep thinking that the ONLY valid content is copy-paste from LIVE, and hence majority just sits and expects someone to do this copy-paste content, which is in fact very tedious and very long work, that very few people actually willing to do (I applaud those who did). Why not instead put in something of your own? Personally I don't care what LIVE had in some zone X, expansion Y I never played - I simply take those resources and make my own thing.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 PM
GlassDeviant
Sarnak

I'd go for CMM for vampires

But yeah, I would be fine with remade content or totally new content, doesn't matter to me. I'm just familiar with everything up to VoA so it would be nice to see it again. But I could always subscribe to Daybreak for that, assuming I can get my 90 Druid back from "abandoned account hell".
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
People keep thinking that the ONLY valid content is copy-paste from LIVE
I wish it was that easy.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
I wish it was that easy.
Oh I know its not. Data Collection, proper DB entries, trying to get proper drop ratio on every rusty mace on every gnoll, QUESTS!!! - its a nightmare. I am merely saying that - some people expect 100% LIVE-like copy or they scream "fake"