Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::MiniLogin

Support::MiniLogin Support forum for problems with the official MiniLogin release.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Default How to make proper startup files for Mini-Login use

I keep seeing the same 'ol mistakes, for some reason, really a lot lately.
First, let me explain about your LAN and your IP address;
127.0.0.1 means 'localhost' which in turn means the computer you are at, and no others. Any any incoming requests, that you point to 'localhost' will result in the originating request seeing his/her own PC and not yours. Sooo, you need to not use 127.0.0.1 or 'localhost' in your ini files, regardless of what you see posted elsewhere.
I've always had LANs since the DOS days, my first LAN was a 'Novel Lite" floppy-run LAN. I hope I have learned something about it all by now.
I always keep static IPs on which ever PCs I might use for work I'm doing. I keep an index card with the names and ips assigned to each machine, so they will always be the same, even on a full, OS re-install. currently, my LAN has 4 static ips, and 2 dynamic.
Your server should be static and also your client. You don't need to do this, but life will be nicer if you don't have to worry about your LAN IP changing when you least expect it.
Keep in mind, you're working from with in your LAN, so you should be looking at all LAN related IPs (192.168.*.*) if with whatever method you use you come up with an ip that doesn't start with '192.168.', then you got the wrong IP. If you plan on inviting players from outside your LAN (the Internet), that can be done also - I'll show you how later. First, get your LAN play running.
How to make your XP machine static; go to network places > network connections > select 'properties' > and 'interenet protocol TCP/IP' 'properties' will reveal it all.
Lets say you set your 'server' machine to 192.168.2.105, here are the way your two config files should look,
eqemu_config.xml;
Code:
<?xml version="1.0">
<server>
        <world>
                <shortname>classic</shortname>
                <longname>Angelox Classic 2008</longname>
                <!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. -->
		<address>192.168.2.105</address>
		<localaddress>192.168.2.105</localaddress>

<!-- Loginserver information.  -->
        <loginserver>
		<host>192.168.2.105</host>
		<port>5999</port>
		<account></account>
		<password></password>
	</loginserver>
	<unlocked></unlocked>
       <!-- Sets the shared key used by zone/launcher to connect to world -->
                <key>kiw9083wdfgesiwud</key>
                <!-- Enable and set the port for the HTTP service. -->
                <http port="9080" enabled="true" mimefile="mime.types" />
        </world>

<!-- Database configuration, replaces db.ini. -->
        <database>
                <host>localhost</host>
                <port>3306</port>
                <username>eq</username>
                <password>databasepassword</password>
                <db>ax_classic</db>
        </database>
</server>
and the loginserver.ini;
Code:
# READ README.TXT

[LoginServer]
loginserver=192.168.2.105
#loginserver2=
loginport=5999
#loginport2=
#worldname=
#worldaddress=
#locked=false
#account=
#password=

[WorldServer]
Defaultstatus=
Unavailzone=

[ChatChannelServer]
worldshortname=
chataddress=
chatport=

[LoginConfig]
ServerMode=MiniLogin
ServerPort=5999
Since 'ServerMode=MiniLogin' you have to make the change in your MySql Database table 'variables' under 'LoginType' to 'MiniLogin' 'too.
All eqhost.txt files incuding if you have a client on the server should read like this;
Code:
[LoginServer]
Host=192.168.2.105:5999
This is exactly what I have, I have tested on my windows and Linux servers, they work fine.

Firewalls: if you are behind a router, you don't really need it, you can disable it. Routers have 'hardware' firewall, which is better, unless of course you have someone in the family that likes to download anything, browses like a crazy person, and takes anything anyone gives them (because its free). Then you have to 'not share' any drives to that PC in the LAN, they can get a virus (probably will), and spread via shared drives you might have. Also, you could password -protect your drives from others in the LAN. But outside your LAN, your router will take care of you.

That's it for now, if a Mod or Admin will please sticky this thread, I'll continue build on it, and explain other stuff such as internet play into the LAN.