Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:53 PM
nilbog
Hill Giant

Default open beta testing for classic legit pve

Greets.

First of all, let me express my utmost respect and gratitude to the eqemu community. Great project with great teamwork. I would still be wishing for something like this had you guys not created it.

I have been working on a legit classic pve server for months and I figure it is time to let people know!

Currently named, project 1999 - legit pve classic beta testing

I have worked extensively on the database to provide an early classic feel.. in regards to npcs and loot drops.

brief list of highlights
-will be progressive through velious
-created cazic thule to original specifications, rubicite included
-remade runnyeye to original, pre-pickclaw invasion status (still working on this)
-accurate loot drop percentages..named mobs should drop things appropriately with no empty loot tables.
-removed a myriad of non classic mobs and disabled kunark - onward mobs until their appropriate release
-created rare and very rare mobs to their original specifications (e.g. prince kyrmt keroppi, dunedigger, yymp the infernal and other mobs i haven't seen on the other emus.)

I'm still learning things daily to improve the server.. and was hoping to have everything ready before I made a post like this. However, I think I might get better feedback and ideas by letting the community dig up their classic memories. Most everyone hunted different things and has unique, invaluable information.

If you enjoyed classic eq.. come check out my server, give opinions and/or suggestions. Any help is appreciated.

Hope to see you there.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Tantalar
Sarnak

yessssssssss
Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Ueguvil
Hill Giant

Is xp going to be bumped up at all?

I logged on and as a warrior at level 1, 1 even kill only gave a little over a blue bubble.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Sultan
Fire Beetle

exp is going to be like classic with racial/class penalties as well if i remember correctly
Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
unknownhost
Sarnak

remember, racial & class exp penalties were built in place because classes were innately unbalanced at the begining.sk's & paladins were by mostly just warriors with slightly lower caps in a few abilities with spells added on(and a lack of dual weild). same for races, ogres,trolls, and barbs had 15/10/5 (or thereabouts) penalties respectively while asslings had a 5% bonus. because at that time some races were just flatly better than others.
the problem is that be the time Kunark was comming around they had started doing all kind of things to balance the classes, such as adding Crafted armor quests to south karana (which is funny because of this other class people whined enough they later added the templeofsolro quests) and the beserker rage warriors do at low life, while they seemingly forgot about the penalties that were built in to offset many of those imbalances. so by the time velious came around (and arguably during kunark also) there was no point to having exp penalties any longer even though it was quite some time before they were properly removed.

anyways, what im trying to get at is that true classic ended before kunark was ever released and adding things like racial penalties is just tacking on outdated methods that just had not been properly eliminated at the time even though there function had been undone. In other words, just repeating one of verants many mistakes for the sake of completness.

good luck bro, has been plenty of people calling for a true classic server! (masochists i tell you!) hope you guys can pull it off!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:58 PM
eqtest
Fire Beetle

I love progression servers and your's sounds exactly like the type I would like. However, I won't simply because of the exp rate. I have no desire to slog out 50 levels. I tried Clumsy's World and just couldn't do it. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
nilbog
Hill Giant

unless there is an overwhelming call for an exp change.. it will be left as default. aside from dungeon encounters, the slow exp in classic was what encouraged people to group. why waste your time meeting up with someone when you can solo the rest of your level in that travel time?

in my opinion, some of verant's "mistakes" coincide with that classic feel. want to be a troll shadowknight? there should be a price to pay for uniqueness.

Quote:
(masochists i tell you!)
masochists indeed.. i fear i am one of them.

the goal of my server is not to make it hard.. just to make it original. the good with the bad. if progression only takes 1-2 weeks.. whats the point :T

i have spent the majority of my time working on the database.. and im still researching what all i can change via source. (suggestions welcome)

if anyone has any questions i will do my best to answer them!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 PM
sampy04
Fire Beetle

Sounds like an achieving server. I'll check it out.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Dugg
Fire Beetle

I wouldn't mind playing at a slow level rate again. I don't know why you'd want to just PL to 50. There's fun to be had at all levels.

But I don't like the class exp penalties being put back into the game since it just puts people at a disadvantage with no gain or reason for it. Original or not, I don't think you'd put a bug back into the game just because it's original you know? Atleast the race penalties make some sense.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 AM
emuzual
Fire Beetle

WOOT amazing job Guys

but may i had some correction

the compass on the screeshot while original EQ was using sens heading ( hahha fun skill )
and during the character creation the necro erudit that appear later with the aparition of the Hole

Thx for this amazing work and hope long life to your server
Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Sultan
Fire Beetle

as long as theres a decent enough player base slow exp wont be a big deal , you just need people to group with , i think besides the game and its mechanics the best thing about eq for me was community , and if you arent in a group grinding out levels how are you ever gonna make those friends in a game ...

im not sure but is boxxing going to be allowed ? if it is thats kinda of a community breaker , but the way the server is being built you need a group , so if im the only one on in my level range almost need a box

the TZ VZ server has something in place that only allows for 2 boxxing by blocking the ip or some such from connecting to it a third time ?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
unknownhost
Sarnak

they do and it seems to work great.

think they used to have an issue though where you might be on both accounts, get an LD on one then be unable to login for X number of miutes due to the server thinking you have two accounts online.

might be slightly off on how it was hanging up like that and might be fixxed already for that matter but still, it worked! definately dont want people running their own 6man box groups for this eh.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 PM
nilbog
Hill Giant

i would love to have it as 1 client only.. but i don't see how that is feasible, unless a LOT of people are going to play that haven't expressed interest .

when the server is fully released, i will limit it to 2 clients.. so people can have a box and actually accomplish things. when i played on tz/vz, the player limit of 2 seemed appropriate and worked well.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Slaya21
Fire Beetle

I tried logging on today and it kept sending me back to login screen. :X
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
nilbog
Hill Giant

yep.. sorry bout that. had to test some parts and my ip was changed. everything is working now