Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:58 AM
lymontyme
Sarnak

Default How do I set up a Magelo?

I'm on a Windows server and need help getting started setting up a magelo, using the files in https://github.com/maudigan/charbrowser. I am an absolute beginner, so comments like "Set it up in Apache Spark" would be way over my head. I am used to seeing an .exe or .html file and voila it is done.

The instructions in the readme are basically to copy the files to a directory and modify the config. I think I can handle that part, but how do I even let my server "know" that the magelo files are even there? I have no idea how to get from the file copying/modifying part, to having full character search and view capability in a web browser. Can someone provide some guidance? I do have a standalone installation of PHP that I use to create evil Twitter bots, as well as a bare minimum knowledge of HTML. No idea if either of those is relevant. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:57 PM
Scorpius
Fire Beetle

I have never set up a magelo site, but looking at the instruction file, its just a matter of setting the config to connect to your sql database

Am guessing it will pull the character information direct from there, the server needs to know nothing about it

But it's probabley best to contact maudigan himself (http://mqemulator.net)
I am sure he will get you up and running
Old 02-05-2022, 07:10 PM
lymontyme
Sarnak

EDIT: Giving up on this. It does require some kind of Apache thing, as I feared. Tried installing the simplest version out there (XAMPP) but it doesn't like the existing MariaDB install that comes with EQemu, and keeps bugging me about "ports" which has not meant anything to me since the days of Windows 3.1. I will just play on existing EQ servers while they last and use the magelo features there. Or I can export character data from the database and program an Excel macro to come up with a fake magelo sheet for each character. I guess I'm just old school.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:52 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymontyme View Post
It does require some kind of Apache thing,
Apache is a web server app, which is what you would be doing, hosting magelo pages. Hence - php, etc. I know it might seem like an overwhelming brain freeze, but it's just a matter of getting all the resources hooked in and figuring out the configuration. But sitting down with patience to read and learn is your best asset.

XAMPP - Throw it in the garbage. Apache is open-source and you can download it by itself.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:02 PM
maudagain
Fire Beetle

Sorry, I don’t frequent the forums. Yes, you need a php webserver setup that has visibility of your eqemu database.