Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
djeryv
Hill Giant

Default I Run A Solo Server...

I have spent a couple years tweaking my server to play solo on. I see some posts about people wanting to run one as well so I thought I would at least share my work in case it meets your needs...

Download Here

...simply put the perl scripts in the quests/templates folder and source the included SQL file. I will not be adding or changing anything as this is merely a solution (or starting framework) to those wanting to run a solo server. Also note that I do not run BOTS on my server. I tried them for awhile, but I found myself playing EQ the same no matter the class/race I picked to play. What I mean is...if I made a cleric, then I would make a fighter and wizard bot. If I then later made a wizard, I would then make a fighter and cleric bot. I just kept playing the game the same over and over. Here is a list of what my settings change...

1. Witch NPCs outside almost all starting cities with 400+ tasks total.
2. A NPC in the Bazaar that will trade crafting items for Witch Task items.
3. A Shaman in the Plane of Knowledge that will cast Spirit of Bih'Li.
4. Stores in the Bazaar selling goodies.
5. Stores in the Bazaar selling rare spells.
6. Aggro radius decreased.
7. NPCs don't usually help their comrades.
8. Mounts are cheaper.
9. Recover Mana/Health quickly when resting.
10. Respawn times for NPCs increased.
11. No Drop/No Transfer disabled.
12. NPCs have their stats appropriate for their level (meaning you do not have a level 50 monster hitting you like they are level 70).
13. You do not lose XP or gear when you die.

These settings are meant for a very low population server without BOTS. Because of the low population, you lack certain things like cool Bazaar items for sale and help from other classes/races for grouping and doing trade skills (like getting imbued metals and such). You also cannot call the help of a Shaman to cast SOW on you when you are about to travel with a low population server. Areas are easier to fight in alone as you can fight things one at a time (usually) and respawn times are increased for you to have time to thin the area out (especially because you are on a low population server and you usually always have an area/dungeon all to yourself). Faster Mana/Health recovery helps you keep pressing on, eliminating down time. When monsters con blue (for example) you know you really could win (and not "you could win if you have 5 friends with you because they punch super hard for a blue con"). The items you get from Tasks, or the Bazaar, are very good...but that is because you are playing alone (usually).

I have the no XP/Gear loss only because my wife and I like to play, but nothing is more frustrating when you have to make dinner and you just died..."man...I have to go all the way there and get my body back"...or..."the kids just left me alone for an hour and I got a bubble of XP...only to lose it in a single death".

Hope this makes your low population server as fun as mine is.

-Djeryv
Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
samandhi
Demi-God

Very useful. Thanks for taking the time for this... I love to play solo, and have always set up a solo server (though I DO play on some of the servers here too). I will download it and play around with it tonight...

Quote:
Analysis paralysis will keep you from failing, but it will also keep you from succeeding.
  • L.L. CoolJ
Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 PM
reddogut
Sarnak

This is good stuff. Would anyone else who runs their own solo server be willing to share the stratagies and processes that make their servers soloable?

-Mike
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM
aronnov
Sarnak

This is very nice. giving alot of these changes a try. definitly going to add the merchants.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Also, come check out The Irreverent server that has been running for a long time and has a large player base.

Feel free to pop in and we can tell you what does/doesn't work in regards to running a solo server.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 PM
loglos
Sarnak

This is great. Just came back from a vacation where I knew I would have no internet at all. Brought this with me and played it. very nice, lots of fun.

I think if I ran a public solo server, I would change a few things but over all very nice. This is obviously a lot of hard work. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Ailesia
Fire Beetle

I realize that this is an old thread, but I was very interested in the work you had done on a solo server and was wondering if there was a way I could get the download for it. The link for the download above is broken, and after searching through your page for about an hour, I couldn't find anything in reference to it at all.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
djeryv
Hill Giant

I rearranged my web server awhile ago so here is the new link...

HERE

- Djeryv
Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Vilkata
Fire Beetle

Sorry to sound like a total noob, but i am. In the top post you said to source the SQL file? Was wondering what that meant. And is it true you can play this offline?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
revloc02c
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilkata View Post
Sorry to sound like a total noob, but i am. In the top post you said to source the SQL file? Was wondering what that meant.
I had this question once and asked it here: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32377

I am not a SQL expert but in my own words to source a file means that you go to the directory of your database, and then type in the command (for me this is usually in a command prompt window) "source theFileToSource.sql" Then the computer runs the SQL script on the database and makes changes and cool stuff (whatever theFileToSource.sql file does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilkata View Post
And is it true you can play this offline?
Yes. You have to set up your server to do it tough. Basically you would set up the EQEmu Server on the same computer that you play on. I've never set up an offline server though, but there are guides in the forums that tell how to do it.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Vilkata
Fire Beetle

Thx for the info, ill play mess around with it a bit and see if i can get it running. If not, ill prolly try the project 1999 ive been reading about. Really loved the old EQ.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM
bowmaster
Discordant

can anybody install this , and get it running as a Server.. , With a few changes to make new stuff for highend , could become a very powerful server
Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 AM
liquest
"Special" Member

ill try setting up a server with this see where it goes. and see what happens and Bowmaster you know they drill hit me up when the server is up

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 AM
bowmaster
Discordant

Aye u Know i will
If u hit it up before i notice
PM on the boards , Facebook Or Msn man
Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Emmeric
Sarnak

Thank you Djeryv for the solo server package.

On an initial test, I noted that two of the three sellers in the Diamond Bazaar hall had no inventory.

Rakonainen Antalen and Ikagonji Uranen both are empty. The other vendor there has two crafting items, Pondweed and Swampvine.

Are these intentional? I was attempting to locate the rare-spell vendor you mentioned you inserted.

Also, because I haven't gotten there yet, are your LDoNs duo-able, soloable?