Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Ut0pia
Sarnak

Default What's a good looking city?

I'm just wondering, What cities compare to the Plane of Knowledge? I'm looking for any city/zone that if all the npcs were removed, the zone would be a good example of a well built city during or after the luclin release. The only ones I can think of are Katta Castelleum and Sancus Seru.

Katta is a little dark though and has that big pit
Seru is crowded and difficult to navigate with it's huge walls.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 PM
trevius
Developer

Shadow Haven isn't a bad one.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Ut0pia
Sarnak

yeah, but it's not ideal for what I had in mind, I was thinking of a zone that can be made into a central hub. Katta has potential but the zone is so dark. Is there anyway to change the lighting. In addition, is there anyway to make it part of earth so the /time works?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

I assume you can connect your zonelines any way you see fit. Just have to edit the appriate settings.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Erudine has that feeling of the capital and its all laid in marble +inner palace.
you have 1 zone line exist, and a sea port, + you can add teleports to other locations

Barindu has some amazing architectures, but it is partialy in ruins

RE: day and night chages - I asked this question before, and atm the devs do not know how to do that wihout hacking the client code
Old 04-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Ut0pia
Sarnak

Erudine was sudjested by one of my interns, but pre-luclin is just so blocky. I couldn't trade POK for Erudine. I'll check out Barindu.

Katta would make an excellent zone, if only it was better lit.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Ut0pia
Sarnak

I checked out Barindu, for the second time. I forgot it's name the first time I went. It's nice and bright, I'll give it that, but there just isn't enough buildings and objects for a central hub. Most of the objects are ruins liked you said.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 PM
trevius
Developer

You can change the sky settings in the zone table. You can also change fog settings. If you remove all fog and set sky to something bright, it should work well for you. And if you want it set to earth time, I believe there is a field in the zone table that lets you set which type of time you want. I think it is 0 for earth and 1 for time. Just compare 2 zones with one being Norrath and the other being on Luclin. If you can't find the field in your zone table to set which time you want it to use, I will check it when I get home and reply back. I haven't tried messing with that yet, but I think it should work. I have verified that the sky changes work and I imagine fog does too. You can change the setting then leave the zone and do a #zoneshutdown on it if it is still up to reset it. Once the zone resets, it will come up with the new settings you chose.

Highlight the whole row in Navicat for the zone you want to try this on and copy and paste it into notepad. Then if you mess anything up, you can just delete and paste the row back in.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 PM
trevius
Developer

A common zone people use for central base of a server is Nexus or the Tutorial zone. One nice thing is that they are small zones. Small zones can feel well populated with very few NPCs. One thing I think that is important when making a base zone is to make it have the least amount of NPCs possible. You don't want to use a fully populated PoK for your home base. The reason why is many people will gather and AFK or ghost there. The server has to send NPC locations to every person in that zone (I think) quite often, so heavy populated zones with lots of people in them will quickly bog down your server and cause major lag issues. I have seen a couple servers that use PoK as their base city and they seem to be plagued with lag problems. If you despawned the entire zone and only populated some of it with the NPCs you want, it might not be too bad, but you definitely don't want a couple hundred NPCs all standing or walking around the zone. That is a lot of info to have to send to 20 people or so.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Ut0pia
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
You can change the sky settings in the zone table. You can also change fog settings. If you remove all fog and set sky to something bright, it should work well for you. And if you want it set to earth time, I believe there is a field in the zone table that lets you set which type of time you want. I think it is 0 for earth and 1 for time. Just compare 2 zones with one being Norrath and the other being on Luclin. If you can't find the field in your zone table to set which time you want it to use, I will check it when I get home and reply back. I haven't tried messing with that yet, but I think it should work. I have verified that the sky changes work and I imagine fog does too. You can change the setting then leave the zone and do a #zoneshutdown on it if it is still up to reset it. Once the zone resets, it will come up with the new settings you chose.

Highlight the whole row in Navicat for the zone you want to try this on and copy and paste it into notepad. Then if you mess anything up, you can just delete and paste the row back in.
I've already exported the entire row to a .xml file and backup the server daily anyway. So no worries about lossing the data.

As for the sky column. The default for Katta is 7. 0 is blank and 1 through 7 are all the same with the earth way off in the background.

I set all fog columns to that to plane of knowledge. With these settings set, there was virtually no change to how Katta looked.

ztype I honestly have no idea what it does. Katta by default was set to 1. POK was set to 255 so that's what I set it to with again no change.

time_type column for katta by default is set to 2. So are other zones such as poknowledge and crushbone. I'll try 0 as you recommended and will go see what happened.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Ut0pia
Sarnak

I changed time_type and nothing happened.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:51 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

You could make a whole new zone and replace and original one with it using openzone and have it exactly how you want it. Or you could commission someone else to do it for you

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 04-03-2008, 04:12 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri View Post
You could make a whole new zone and replace and original one with it using openzone and have it exactly how you want it. Or you could commission someone else to do it for you
ummm, not to sound negative, but Open zone textures are rathly on par with pre-kunark eq - he is looking for post Luclin quality graphics

Also on cities- have you considered Paineel? Its a bit grim, but compact, and has LOTS of little rooms/shops and even graveyard and palace
Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Then you have not seen any zones I have made with it I suppose

you can see them here ZONE PICS

With exception of the TUT pics.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 AM
mattmeck

Open zone will give you what you put into it, if you are quick and dont take much time it wont look that good. On the other hand if you take your time and do things right it will look better then EQ quality.