Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:11 AM
luserppc
Fire Beetle

Default IRC? Yes I read the Sticky, but...

...it seems down.
I'm returning to eq after a long hiatus, and was hoping to find an eq/p99 chatroom to hangout in. I'm making this post because the Sticky is still up, and that's been giving me hope this week that maybe something's just reconfigured, and that's why it's down.
But hey, IRC's been "dead" for a long time, so if it was shut down because no one was using it, I completely understand. Time marches on.
If anyone has any insight into this, I'd love to hear about it. Or if there are other IRC servers/channels people are using, that'd be cool too.
-cheers :3
Old 07-29-2019, 10:00 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Pretty sure everything moved to Discord.

https://discord.gg/QHsm7CD
Old 07-29-2019, 02:37 PM
luserppc
Fire Beetle

Thanks chrsschb.
I think you're right, hopefully a mod might doublecheck on this & update the sticky if so.

Where my Open Source nerds at? looks like I might have to host Matrix network now! ...Mastodon.social anyone?

-forever fighting the power,
luserppc
Old 07-29-2019, 07:52 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by luserppc View Post
Thanks chrsschb.
I think you're right, hopefully a mod might doublecheck on this & update the sticky if so.

Where my Open Source nerds at? looks like I might have to host Matrix network now! ...Mastodon.social anyone?

-forever fighting the power,
luserppc
Pretty much all of us are huge believers in FOSS. Unfortunately, that community hasn't given us a good replacement for Discord - and with so many people embracing Discord (both gamers and game developers) and Slack, they've become the norm compared to IRC.

EQEmu's IRC is dead; it has been for a few years now. With how easy it is to set up Discord, we've all moved to it.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:28 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
Pretty much all of us are huge believers in FOSS. Unfortunately, that community hasn't given us a good replacement for Discord - and with so many people embracing Discord (both gamers and game developers) and Slack, they've become the norm compared to IRC.

EQEmu's IRC is dead; it has been for a few years now. With how easy it is to set up Discord, we've all moved to it.
I miss the days when forums were poppin'. I'm still part of a few that are pretty active but most have faded away.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:37 PM
luserppc
Fire Beetle

Thanks Secrets & Chrsschb
But I thought it over and came to a simple conclusion. I need to host one myself. Clearly, I mean, how far down could this rabbit hole go, right? So I'm building an IRC channel as we speak. My next step when I haz teh funds will be to use a cloud instance to host a Matrix/IRC/Discord bridge.
Yeah. Goals, am I right? I'm a little shy about advertising the channel right now, but for the like, five people that will use it, it'll be a fun thing I think (^.^)
-Cheers everyone, and thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

I still have my old Bahamut IRC server software kicking around here some place. That stuff is ancient now, lol

EDIT: I was just poking around for fun, I noticed the DALnet team is still updating that source code for bahamut ircd. https://github.com/DALnet/Bahamut
Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Uleat
Developer

I did update that sticky :P

I think we used to have an irc<->discord bot active..you might hop on discord and ask around if you're interested.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 08-01-2019, 04:54 PM
luserppc
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I did update that sticky :P
Uleat, not to be a pain, but what did you mean when you said that? Currently I see a sticky in this General Discussion forum Re: IRC, but it hasn't been updated since 2012.
I was hoping a mod might update it to say it's currently non-existent.

And regarding that irc<->discord bridge I'll def have to get on Discord to check that out. Currently I'm running a Channel on Quakenet, but I wanna talk to some P99 platers to see if that is OK, or if they'd prefer a different IRC network(like Freenode or Dalnet.)(I just kinda assumed on my own that Quakenet would be a good fit, but I doubt it matters).
-Cheers, &thanks for the feedback Uleat
Old 08-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Uleat
Developer

Ok, that one is updated too.

If it's still not the right one, please post a link to the one you are referring to.

Compilin' Dirty

Tags
chat, discord, internet relay chat, irc, messaging