Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:52 AM
cmarquis
Fire Beetle

Question Macintosh Everquest Client

I realize the two Everquest client versions are very different. I've read the discussions regarding the titanium client (SOE posted it as currently unavailable). Though is the EQMac version compatible? I know it's a dumb question as I could download the everquest edition and then test it myself (and obviously be unable to access certain zones). Though I don't wanna waste my time and energy of a futile effort of repeating the wheel if this has been tested already.

Best regards,
Paul Marquis

http://eqmac.station.sony.com/support.jsp
Old 06-12-2007, 04:35 AM
KingMort
Banned

Sure there is a program that you can create a partition and install Windows XP on your mac. Then you can load up the EQ Client and away you go..

Not sure what the program is called, I'm not a Mac guy, but I know a friend of mine plays that way.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:58 AM
yoman258
Sarnak

I believe that is on the new macs when they switched to the Intel processors, on the old ones I am not sure you can do that.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

i would guess the macintosh client is not compatible with eqemu, since the mac clients had their own separate servers (they never ever operated in a mixed PC/Mac environment) and thus probably were never sync'ed as far as packet format and opcodes are concerned.

but, you're always welcome to give it a shot and let us know how it goes. alot of this project is the result of people saying "what if" and trial and error.

== sfisque
Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Ryori
Fire Beetle

Default Mac Client

Yes, I can tell you that does not work. The Mac client software in incompatible with the "normal" servers.

As far as a program you can load, well, with the new Macs with the Intel chip, you can load Parallels and load up a copy of XP, you will be running Real, live XP (not emulated) on your mac.

For non-Intel Macs, you needed a program like Virtual PC. That ran a real, live XP as well, but it had to pass thru a software layer before it could get to the CPU. It was pretty slow (not recommended for EQ).
Old 11-06-2019, 07:45 AM
animekenji
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryori View Post

For non-Intel Macs, you needed a program like Virtual PC. That ran a real, live XP as well, but it had to pass thru a software layer before it could get to the CPU. It was pretty slow (not recommended for EQ).
This won't work. Virtual PC does not utilize the video hardware installed in the Mac. It emulates a very old, 2d only card. You need 3D video hardware of at least the DX 9 era to run the EQ client or else you will get a message that no 3D hardware was detected.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:54 PM
djeryv
Hill Giant

VMWare Fusion uses the 3D card capabilities I believe.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

You can just play on TAKProject now a days. Supports both the EQMac client and the Windows client from that era.

PS: Nice necro post.