Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 AM
lindane8
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up yea but back to my question

what would it hurt to take a "dead" Zone and make it a BG and have all us pvpers go at it with out effecting any PVE what so ever i mean what would that hurt and then it would even bring more players to PEQ because it would be that much better ..i love peq but it does lack a huge element of EQ and im trying to start a poll or something to get cavedood to consider allowing some PVP so who's with me
Old 09-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindane8 View Post
what would it hurt to take a "dead" Zone and make it a BG and have all us pvpers go at it with out effecting any PVE what so ever i mean what would that hurt and then it would even bring more players to PEQ because it would be that much better ..i love peq but it does lack a huge element of EQ and im trying to start a poll or something to get cavedood to consider allowing some PVP so who's with me
The thread here is about the PEQ server being down ( not making it a PVP server), there are rules against de-railing threads.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM
lindane8
Fire Beetle

Default ok then

whens the server coming back up?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 AM
renoofturks1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindane8 View Post
You mean, a zone like, The Arena? Odd idea....
Old 09-21-2008, 10:35 AM
lindane8
Fire Beetle

i was thinking like emerald jungle or something like that..an the arena is a pvp area don't get me wrong but who goes there? ..and why is it an odd idea?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 AM
valic007
Fire Beetle

damn still no peq and nothing from cavedude this isnt good and as for pvp we may wanna change topic before thread gets locked
Old 09-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Fingel
Fire Beetle

1 week no PEQ! Hows everyone holding out? I started playing on a server called "The Realm" Only has a few players but you get to spawn bots to group with you. Its SO fun! Maybe I'll see a few of you there!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:50 AM
lindane8
Fire Beetle

Default man 4get this crap

im going buy warrhammer
Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
gierkep85
Fire Beetle

Default So...

Does that mean since its a hotel itll likely be down for the week or so?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:04 PM
lindane8
Fire Beetle

Default its already been a week

Old 09-22-2008, 12:28 AM
gierkep85
Fire Beetle

Default New here sorry

Just curious, how many people generally on PEQ was noticing another server only had 19 on during what i would assume are peak hours. No Titanium yet but since PEQ is down i figure no huge hurry
Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 AM
Itchybottom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gierkep85 View Post
Just curious, how many people generally on PEQ was noticing another server only had 19 on during what i would assume are peak hours. No Titanium yet but since PEQ is down i figure no huge hurry
There are usually 140-200 clients connected to PEQ during our peak hours. You'll know it starts when poknowledge gets over 35s lag for opening a simple door, and people start bitching about being disconnected. Oh how EQEMU crumbles under load.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 AM
gierkep85
Fire Beetle

Default oh

Hadn't occurred to me lag was a major issue. Is that a function of EQEMU or of the machine the servers are run on?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Felwithe
Fire Beetle

I've been using my PEQ down time playing on TZ/VK. I've always played blue servers, and this has been a real eye opener. I already had a good idea what PvPers were like, since every blue server I've ever been on has the occasional PvP troll who randomly logs in and insults the entire server for being inferior to PvP (incidentally, blues never log into the PvP servers and engage in such stupid and childish antics).

On the ooc channels, it's nonstop gutter talk - probably pre-teens who feel a rush at getting to say every despicable thing they can think of. A good half of the players on the server have no interest in beating the game - just hunting each other. They bind camp, corpse camp, intentionally train - whatever they can do to grief others. Plus a pretty high percentage of the players are using warp programs.

PvPers basically hate themselves and everyone else - they have your typical troll personality. They can't stand having just a few servers of their own - they are truly bothered that servers exist where they don't have the power to grief, thus the continual stream of trolls who log in to hurl insults.

PEQ is by far the best server on EQEMU, but if it went red, most of the decent players would eventually find homes elsewhere. I sure would. And I can't imagine what a pain it would be to GM an entire server of griefers, which is probably why TZ/VZ changed its original rules (no bind camping, no corpse camping, ect.) and now allows anything to go.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Itchybottom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felwithe
A good half of the players on the server have no interest in beating the game - just hunting each other. They bind camp, corpse camp, intentionally train - whatever they can do to grief others. Plus a pretty high percentage of the players are using warp programs.
Warp detection is pretty sensitive on Daxum's server. But yeah, I've seen people warp through doors. More people on PEQ actually warp around, than on VZ/TZ. What do you think the latest mass temporary ban was all about? No more loot and scoot rules? Awesome! (You mention it below.) I always felt it was pretty weak/carebear, but I understand it's place.

Quote:
PvPers basically hate themselves and everyone else - they have your typical troll personality. They can't stand having just a few servers of their own - they are truly bothered that servers exist where they don't have the power to grief, thus the continual stream of trolls who log in to hurl insults.
'stfu bluebie!', I kid. I come from Rallos Zek. I played from 99 until it turned to Zek, and Hate became the most powerful force on the server. I only took a 2 year break from 2004-2006, and now I'm back on live checking out Zek again. I have a level 50 enchanter on VZ/TZ that I stopped playing shortly after loot was removed. I love PVP. I think it takes a more cool head to exist on such a server, it's not for everyone. Back to the thread:

Quote:
PEQ is by far the best server on EQEMU, but if it went red, most of the decent players would eventually find homes elsewhere. I sure would. And I can't imagine what a pain it would be to GM an entire server of griefers, which is probably why TZ/VZ changed its original rules (no bind camping, no corpse camping, ect.) and now allows anything to go.
cavedude never said that it would turn PVP. ProjectEQ's charter is to approximate live as closely as possible, and people that play are supposed to be testing/reporting bugs. It's a community effort, but in a nutshell: Playing is just a reward for doing so [reporting bugs]. Optimism is key in any community project, moral has to stay high so interest continues. Nothing Earth-shattering like a PVP rule system or a server wipe is going to happen any time soon, yet it keeps being brought up. In the event it did go PVP (which is not happening!,) it'd be easier to manage the people as a GM (for me anyway, and I think Reno would probably enjoy watching people clobber each other to death, though the spectacle might take away from his world building time. . .) "Soandso just trained us in Vex Thal. omg do something." could not be responded with "Settle it between yourselves, kill the person and take the zone back." But I digress. . .

The server still has no ETA for being up (though I'd guess it'll be sometime during this week based on previous experience with HVAC monkeys in a datacenter scenario) and though I love to see people posting how awesome the server is, the occasional "Well if that happens we'll migrate" thing is getting old, especially when it's been stated nothing is going to change. The team puts a lot of work into the server, people come and go, the drama doesn't help any. Nor do the jabs at other server operator staff for their server sucking in comparison. Daxum has helped this community quite a bit, and his warp detection code (though slightly altered) is running on PEQ. Don't throw eggs at his world just because you can't hang!