Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Default RIFT Open Beta

Rift open beta the 15th, The BEST MMO since EQ1.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Zlandicar
Sarnak

Looks like a WoW clone to me.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Versalin
Fire Beetle

wow has just raised the bar for mmos, most games now will use aspects of wow in their games. Not everything is a wow clone.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

I'll have to say it has been pretty smooth thus far. Quest transition is very smooth and the game overall looks and feels great. I only got to level 8 when 7th BETA opened today as all of their servers went down from a power outage it sounded like. I only spent maybe an hour or so on it as I had to get to other things but this game is definitely worth looking at. The climb up is at least smooth I can't account for how end game looks.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Expletus
Hill Giant

I've played since beta 1, and several friends are in alpha. The weird thing is, the devs listen and respond to player feedback. 1st beta you couldn't see the soul trees before picking, and had to wait till 18 or 19 to pick your 3rd soul tree. They changed all that... this is a minor example but it's funny how they listen.

Rift is a clone of all MMO's not just WoW. Vanguard is very noticeable as it WAR, WoW, EQ, EQ2 and someone said guildwars (but I didn't play it).
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

lmao, a wow (world of wankers) clone? Wow was an EQ clone for kiddies.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

their "multiclass" system contradicts all my views of a proper class lore.
The fact that you can be druid/necro/paladin/mage hybrid, makes me feel ridiculous.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Expletus
Hill Giant

If you haven't tried it you should. It's fun for a while, but once you realize you are following the lateral line to 50, you'll quit. But you should at least try it.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

I've heard both good and bad things about this one... but yea, the multiclass system might really grow to annoy me after a while. 'Necro-Paladins'..... Bah!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Lane
Sarnak

You guys have misread some of the information about this game.

You can only be mixes of certain classes.

At the beginning of the game you either pick a rogue, fighter, or caster (I think) and as you level you gain soul points... From there you spec into similar callings, but can never spec into "fighter" classes if your a rogue, or rogue classes if your a "fighter."

So you couldn't be a necro/pally, but you could be a necro/wizard, if that makes sense.

The specing into different classes is pretty awesome, but the only combo I feel doesn't go together is the Reaver/Paladin (sk/pally) besides that they all work fine and if your smart can make some insane combinations
Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Expletus
Hill Giant

4 base classes. Warrior / Healer / Caster / DPS
Once you set that, you get your first task for a tree w/in that.
Look at the website, you can only mix w/in the base class.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

yes, I stand corrected, your multy-classing still bounded within confines of 4 arch classes.

There are still some "gray" lines like cleric/druid, or mage/necro, that In my perspective of fantasy lore should not have been crossed, but to each his own.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Melandril
Sarnak

Why do the people who defend Rift all think WoW was the pinacle of MMO perfection?

To say that Rift is a WoW clone is not to make the mistake that WoW was anything special. As pointed out, WoW was EQ for dummies. It did several things well that EQ did poorly from a marketing perspective; however, from a challenge perspective, WoW is not a challenging game the way old EQ was.

In the process of ripping off WoW, did Rift steal from others? Absolutely. Despite this, most of the content, game play and UI were taken directly from WoW. What that means is that while it's more visually pleasing than WoW, it's longevity is doomed unless it can escape the copy-right-infringement comparisons.

To help with the ignorant folks who think WoW is the basis for all MMOs, please look at Rift vs EQ, Rift vs GW, Rift vs UO/Diablo, Rift vs FFXI. In that these are all based on D&D, the share the RPG heritage; however, the above comparisons each did something uniquely different with the genre without being considered clones of one another. Think most heavily upon the Rift vs GW, since the GW team was originally part of the WoW team. If they can escape being called a WoW clone, anyone can escape that moniker.