Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ View Post
Time is money. We just want you to be respectful of it.
In the time you wrote that post, Bill Gates became $40k richer.

If someone is using their spare time to play EverQuest, then likely they know how to manage their time already and don't need a forum post telling them how or when to waste it.

Time is money indeed.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:39 AM
haynar
Developer

Quote:
Not Classic.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 AM
daerath
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
In the time you wrote that post, Bill Gates became $40k richer.

If someone is using their spare time to play EverQuest, then likely they know how to manage their time already and don't need a forum post telling them how or when to waste it.

Time is money indeed.
But Secrets, you're totally wrong dude. Let me break it down for you.

Time = Money. (duh)

Your Server = Not Your Server. You may think it's yours because you built it, modded it, and are the sole person paying the bills to keep it running, but it's totally not yours. Your server owners (aka, your players) require you to keep the server running in perpetuity because of their colossal investment of free time.

Wait. It isn't free time. It's time, and time is definitely not free. Well... It is free, but there is a limited amount of it so it's precious.... WHATEVER.

Time = money. Time = money. Time = money.

Ok. I'm back on track.

You have to capitulate and do everything your players ask of you, up to and including making your server (ahem, *THEIR SERVER*) super easy and with content consumable at the fastest possible rate. This will enable the maximum possible return on their time (aka, investment). However, this means you are required to churn out new content every 30 days or so as that is roughly when your server owner's ROI will begin to decrease.

I hope this helps. =P
Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:

Hmm, Secrets has been part of multiple servers, yes.

When is the last time you've contributed...well....anything to the project?

Other than modifying spirit of cheetah....

Old 03-15-2017, 11:18 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Just to hollar out from another end of the stick here, the server project I am working on is a hobby for me and any expenses
involved with it are my own responsibility. Fortunately, for me, there is no expenses, just time and effort at a computer.
Even if I was going to put it up for public play here, there would still be no expenses. For those who WILL have a major
population, then they would be looking at paying for hosting with a decent data connection, but in all reality,
new servers would have a lot of work to do in attracting that kind of player base trying to keep them all happy.
Right now, I have 150 Mbps fibreplus internet connection at home. That is for my everyday internet use, not a "hobby expense".
IF and when I decide to put my project up for public play, it won't be aimed at a major population. Again, reality check, that
population is not out there for new servers, unless you're intentionally trying to be competetive within the existing player base.
In the end, my internet connection would easily handle 150 players with no issues, but it would never see that many.
So for myself, Time = Enjoyable Hobby (without the need to cater to a player with a wallet) Hence, the content
and enjoyment of it, is all about achieving the goals of what I enjoy myself. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any point.
Sacrificing all that, just to "skillup" your population count ? No Thank You.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:49 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

My 2 plat worth:

The entire Emu project is essentially an Experiment, and in experiment there are no guarantees - you want to join in - be my guest, but you are on your own.

Pretty much 90% of of all Emu servers are short term project that do "this one little feature" that Live didn't had, call it custom and run it. Players join in, get their 2-4 months fun, get Cloak of Flames for 500th time, kill Quarm for 3456789768th time, get bored and go join another "custom" server. At this point the admin probably also tired of it, or got a new idea, and whole thing starts from the scratch.

In what I observed in my 10 years here - that's very typical.

Obviously there are long stay servers that stick to their vision, like P99, Stormhaven, THF etc. Bit they are a few, and if players wants something different, they have to to turn to the experimental servers that may or may not be there tomorrow and it is the risk they take together with the server admin.

There is of course a counter point to this. EQ is an MMO and not a casual Candy Crash game. You don't just log in for an hour, or play for 2 days and then just casualy come back in 2 years and keep playing another random mission. People do put a lot of effort into building up a character and do want that character to be there when they return, so when sever puts up great promises and then goes poof in 2 months people do get upset.

So putting 2 points together my conclusion is:
- we all want a long term server but shit happens
- If you don't want to take your chances stick with the server that been around for a while
- if you think that server admin made too many promises in the past couldn't keep - vote with your legs - don't play there and ignore him, but I don't think you should bash a person on a forums whenever he offers new ideas.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:06 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Thank You Mr Chaos for spelling it out like that. Nothing can be closer to reality. Well put.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:06 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

I like the idea servers fun but wish xp rate was more in the era the servers up to and not 1999 don't get to Play long so takes forever lol
Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

On EQ2002, exp is far from slower "99" style. Secrets has a "few" modern perks to compensate for that.
Example- LOTD AA with 1 hour cool off timer. (available at level 1)
Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Hmm, Secrets has been part of multiple servers, yes.

When is the last time you've contributed...well....anything to the project?

Other than modifying spirit of cheetah....
I have been working on my own server for months now, not only that but if anyone wants copies of my databases or client they can get that from me. So I am contributing.

It really doesn't sound like any of you have run a small buisness, I have my own buisness and it is a matter of customer service. You will learn it really quick, even just selling a unique product on ebay. You can easily say "eh I'm just going to close up shop, I don't owe them anything I am the one paying the bills". Your regular customers are going to think a little different and they won't help spread the word if you start a new buisness I can promise you that.

Closing a server is like if the federal reserve stopped the monetary system. All that money you worked so hard for your entire life would be worthless. This is less drastic obviously but it is the same principle, you shutting down a server makes everything people worked for on their charecters now worthless.

If you don't like that responsibility then keep the server private....LET ALONE advertise it!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
rudeboy88
Sarnak

I was wondering whose this was when I saw it on the login listing, sounds awesome

Pras Secrets server

Old 03-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Gonna play dis tonight.

Can you confirm bard can aoe kite?

Old 03-15-2017, 05:48 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Gonna play dis tonight.

Can you confirm bard can aoe kite?
Bards should be able to AOE kite, yes.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Closing a server is like if the federal reserve stopped the monetary system
You have a lot of growing up to do. It's so obvious now, your issues go a lot deeper. Many servers have closed down
and you haven't attacked them like this. You're getting away with alot of trashing on this forum and I really wish
someone would get something in place to prevent this crap. But don't worry Nostalgia, karma follows everyone around.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:50 PM
jpyou127
Discordant

All this negativity from Nostalgia, and from what I can tell he has only been around since September of 2016. Personally, I wish you would just go work on your server Nostalgia and be quiet since a lot of the people who keep chiming in on your words are people who have done deep development here and your using the tech they have made. Is this a small business, nope its an emulator project that no one makes money from. Get busy doing your own thing and leave others alone and good luck getting anyone to come play on your master piece.

And it really looks like your creating allies here, people are starting not to like you at all so you might want to change your signature.