Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bots

Development::Bots Forum for bots.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congdar View Post
On my server I cranked the bonus exp down due to fast leveling with bots, but it is still higher than Live. I also added more experience loss on death to help balance it out. This code has a different way of mitigating the exp but what you said about ease... maybe a different solution than what either of us did is to make the npc's harder. Looking at the npc entries in the db, except for bosses it looks like theres a pattern to npc level and stats. Maybe Cavedude can tell us how to make it more difficult overall.

Since I spend more time coding bots than actually playing the emulator, do those that play in a full group of equal level players find the emulator reds super easy and do you level so fast that you feel you would reduce exp more to balance the game? Are the regular groupers on TGC 65 and max AA real quick? I use the peq database. I believe that the bots are no different than a group of equal level players. The bots have some advantages, but many disadvantages as well. Experience is calculated by the same code as a group of pc's as it is for a pc with a group of bots.
This thing with exp and leveling fast, is a real touchy situation. The majority of the players in EqEmu do not want exp to be Eq like, they want to level fast, easy loots, easy everything. Something with this game or many other RPGs; leveling and exp are at the heart of it all. Once you get to max level, or get all you want from the game, you grow tired of it. All this work everyone is doing, not just bots, but everything else seems like a waste if you can breeze through the whole game in a few days. Everything is part of the game; finding parts to make spells, finding better weapons, questing, etc., but if I can level up in a few days, I blow past all that.
Even if we did fix the game to where the exp, leveling were eq-like, then we'd have the problem of server ops upping exp in their servers. If you had a server with legit exp, no one would come, for a few reasons; one is the player base we have does not want this, and they will go to where it's all easy. Another is the player base we could have for this type of game play, have long since gone since they are under the impression 'EqEmu is too easy'. We could promote the 'New EqEmu', but then when they came to the mayhem of servers in public loggin, they would get frustrated again.
We'd have to do a lot to get things to where they should be; for example get a few totally legit servers (legit exp too) running and being watched over by a group that will maintain quality. We would need to set up a system in the login server that breaks down the servers into groups, something like 'legit', 'non-legit', custom, etc. But we have no say on the log in server, so scratch that.
Many of the servers in public log in, probably shouldn't even be there, not because they have anything wrong, but simply because they are new ops and learning, most of which will be gone in a few days (imagine starting a player and not finding you server a few days later?).
The new servers need to be at the bottom of the list in a group of their own.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Two page starts in a row! do I get a prize?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward6 View Post
Since switching to Linux on my server, I will never go back to Windows
Where did you get your source from?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
Where did you get your source from?
Iv'e allways used the source from the front page and updated when there was a new version... But for this I took the source from the BOTS release thread.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Iv'e allways used the source from the front page and updated when there was a new version... But for this I took the source from the BOTS release thread.
You're going to the wrong place, read Cavedudes post here. He has links there for the new source which has tons of updates, and also includes the Bot code.
You will need to install and learn the 'svn' command, it will get you the source. You also need to update your SQL Database for this source to work with you. The updates are in an SQL directory with the source.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:45 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

so ... the release thread is the wrong place to get the latest BOT release? heh we do have a bunch of loose ends don't we? I went there last night, but all I see is binaries listed. Well off to work, i'll have to take a look tomorrow. Thanks for working through this with me.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
so ... the release thread is the wrong place to get the latest BOT release? heh we do have a bunch of loose ends don't we? I went there last night, but all I see is binaries listed. Well off to work, i'll have to take a look tomorrow. Thanks for working through this with me.
Well, you got me there - I made a post in that thread so people will know where to go.
It's not really a loose end, just we thought people would be looking not just at the Bot threads, but at all the new posts. The new SVN has been headline-news for me since it started, Don't know how you missed all that.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

Regarding Exp Rates with Bots:

If you are running a full raid (which, 60+, you often are, as you clear your way into a raid zone) you can gain Exp quite fast, to the tune of an AA every 20 minutes or so.

If you run a single group, I believe it is about on par with a regular Exp group, except you get all the exp. Bots don't plan offtaking well, don't plan healing well (I play a cleric and the druid always jumps the gun on heals), don't mez, won't back away from rooted mobs, won't position at all. Rather then healing the most injured party member, if more then one person needs a heal, they go down the group list (really noticable when the fighter at 60% gets hit with a heal, and then 4-5 seconds later, the enchanter at 20% gets hit with a heal)

That being said, I think the point of playing with bots isn't about leveling, or leveling fast, but instead raids; that's why they exist. Even when I max AA's, I'll keep playing if I haven't managed to destroy the toughest raid-encounters, done the quests I want, collected the clickies I want.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
The new SVN has been headline-news for me since it started, Don't know how you missed all that.
I didn't miss it but there's no source there, just binaries... please help me clear this up, we keep talking about the same thing, and i'm still not following you.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

There are both source and binaries. You should browse the site a bit and look at all the good stuff that's over there. I love the SVN.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew80k View Post
There are both source and binaries. You should browse the site a bit and look at all the good stuff that's over there. I love the SVN.
Ill need some hand holding then... everything I have seen over there are binaries.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Ok, I see what the problem is I have no idea how to make use of the source on that site, I don't know how to download it, or how to install it.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Ok, I see what the problem is I have no idea how to make use of the source on that site, I don't know how to download it, or how to install it.
Well, you know, we're trying to help you, but you have to help yourself too. When that new SVN got opened up, I didn't know how to use it either (had no need for that before). But I figured it out and didn't ask too many stupid questions in the process (I hope!). You can Google most the questions you have, since they are all common newbe questions, the interenet is rich with answers.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:42 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Well, you know, we're trying to help you, but you have to help yourself too. When that new SVN got opened up, I didn't know how to use it either (had no need for that before). But I figured it out and didn't ask too many stupid questions in the process (I hope!). You can Google most the questions you have, since they are all common newbe questions, the interenet is rich with answers.
I know you are and I appreciate it, believe me! I'll stick with what I'm used to for now, work and family takes all my spare time. Maybe as the cold weather drives me inside more, I'll do some research on it.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Rocker8956
Hill Giant

The binaries can be downloaded from here. Those work pretty much the same as downloading the ones off the EMU’s front page.
http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/downloads/list

To download the latest SVN code do the following (Sorry if I left out steps I am writing most of this from memory at work)

Download and install TortoiseSVN
http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

Create a folder on your hard drive. (This will be the folder you want to download the source files to)
Right click on the folder
In the menu that pops up click SVN Checkout…

URL of Repository:
http://projecteqemu.googlecode.com/s...nk/EQEmuServer
Click Ok

That should download the latest source files into the folder you created.

Some good info on the SVN can be found here
http://code.google.com/p/projecteqem...mittingwithSVN