Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
3sp87s5
Fire Beetle

Default EQ server on a iphone?

I know there is post on the forums inquiring about running EQEmu on a iphone, however, my question is, can the server side run on a iphone? Particularly a iPhone 4?
I know the iPhone 4 has 512mb ram and 1 ghz processor.

Would a minilogon be possible with a jailbroken iPhone 4?

Opinions or insite?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 PM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

While I won't say it's impossible, I will say it's unlikely. You would need to custom compile the MySQL server, PERL, and EqEmu server tailored to your specific jail-break. Then you have to really consider the actual usefulness of such an "iPhone Eqemu Server". Just because the processor is a 1Ghz and has 512mb of ram does NOT mean it performs anywhere near the same as a 1Ghz desktop/laptop CPU and 512mb ram, not to mention your battery life would be horrible. Until you get true Out Of Order phone processors it would be very slow on startup and then handling zones/clients. Then you have the latency of your "wireless" internet/wifi to factor in. Just because it says 3/4G and N-wifi does not mean either function near to what their desktop/laptop parts do.

All-in-all, I am not saying impossible, just highly improbable unless you wish to do the leg work since the Emu runs faster, is already pre-writing for i686 CPUs, and laptop/desktops have all of the other required software pre-written for them as well. Why not simply go buy/find an old laptop for $100 and use that instead of the iPhone and call it a day?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
3sp87s5
Fire Beetle

=p I actually already have a full blown server running. The novelty of it was appealing though. I realize that no matter what, a phone will never (well, at this point in time) perform as well as a computer would.

The idea of it being able to handle 2-3 people would be a neat thing to see. More than anything, not needing the net to play would be neat. Having the integrated hotspot turned on, and the eq server up, you could play locally anywhere, regardless of, if the internet was up and running. That was really the motivation behind my curiosity
Old 02-14-2011, 09:38 PM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

You have an EqEmu server fully functional on your phone right now? Just currious as that would be a good acomplishment and deff worth the novelty if you have such. Would be worth a guide or general post on how you did it to give others who would think to do such a chance to learn from a great example.

Maybe the iPhone is special or has a better wifi ability, but the mobile wifi hotspot on my HTC Evo Shift and HTC Diamond suck. They are at best 10mbps and that's if you are right on top of it, 6 feet away and it drops to 1mbps.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
3sp87s5
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_llewellyn View Post
You have an EqEmu server fully functional on your phone right now? Just currious as that would be a good acomplishment and deff worth the novelty if you have such. Would be worth a guide or general post on how you did it to give others who would think to do such a chance to learn from a great example.

Maybe the iPhone is special or has a better wifi ability, but the mobile wifi hotspot on my HTC Evo Shift and HTC Diamond suck. They are at best 10mbps and that's if you are right on top of it, 6 feet away and it drops to 1mbps.
Not as of yet I don't. I should of clarified. My apologies. I'm looking at a couple different venues on trying to get it to work. Not sure if I'm savvy enough to but I have ideas. I know as of right now, ubuntu has been put on a iphone. That's one method I'm thinking of. Using "OpeniBoot" you can toggle the OS's.

I don't know if all the drivers for the ubuntu port have been figured out as of yet :/ If so, I would think it would be pretty straight forward via that method.

I haven't come across much supporting software at all by means of using a jailbroken phone and the native IOS :/ I was hoping someone else might of heard of something but to no avail :(
Old 02-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Quote:
I actually already have a full blown server running.
Quote:
Not as of yet I don't. I should of clarified.
How would you clarify that? Maybe with "o yea I totally lied"? lol
Old 02-14-2011, 11:48 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

I read it as "I actually already have a full blown server running on a normal computer."
Old 02-14-2011, 11:52 PM
3sp87s5
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
How would you clarify that? Maybe with "o yea I totally lied"? lol
Wow, thank you for your input. Appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

I, personally, think it would be a really neat project. Would make LAN parties all that more amusing if you could host EQ on your phone.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
3sp87s5
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I, personally, think it would be a really neat project. Would make LAN parties all that more amusing if you could host EQ on your phone.
Agreed! Just the idea of a pocket server is pretty cool =p
Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sp87s5 View Post
Agreed! Just the idea of a pocket server is pretty cool =p
"Is that an EQ server in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? ...oh. "
Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 PM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

As the below artical states, we could actually have a fully functional pocket/phone server as early as the end of the year/early next year that run x68 so no special compiling needed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4172/i...ipsets-in-2012