Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > Simple Client

Old 07-27-2007, 10:23 AM
maudigan
Fire Beetle

Default Feedback

Are you ready to start recieving bugs and inconsistencies?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
maudigan
Fire Beetle

First off this is a amazing... I never thought someone would dedicate themselves enough to pump something like this out.

Movement:
Swiming doesnt really feel right. The sinking effect is too extreme, and on this game i used to play, think it was called everquest the sinking effect was kind of constant here it seems to disengage when you start moving then quickly accelerate to full sink speed when you stop moving. The ramp up and ramp down to full speed should be more gradual.

It feels like there is something wrong in the running code. The players speed seems very choppy and doesnt stay constant. Also same as in swiming when you stop or start running its too abrupt, there is no ramp up/down.

Jumping feels great, though on some other games I remember where when you jump there is a tiny delay as if your character is taking a second to crouch before poping up.

Ducking also feels good, thought of course there is no animation for walking or running while ducked.

There is some wacky stuff going on with collision. It kinda pops you backwards a foot or so when you run into a wall, so if you face the right way you just shoot across the room sideways.

The camera sits a little too high, feel like your looking from above the characters head and not from their eyes.

Controls.
Mouselook and mouse run would be a cool feature.

an auto run key would also be a cool feature, alot of games use numlock.

looking around with page up/down doesnt function while running, this with the lack of mouse look makes it dificult to navigate without alot of stop/start running.

moving forward while sitting should turn sit off, and let you move forward with a slow ramp speed. Also after sitting the client is displaying a standing character.

F8 doesnt auto target closest NPC within line of sight, and in players field of vision.

F10 doesnt turn off GUI

Ctrl + I is inventory, should be invite, same with Ctrl D, its duck instead of disband
GUI
Resizing chat windows isn't moving the scroll bar correctly. if you vertically expand the chat window you end up losing lines of chat at the bottom.

Can inspect too many items at once, I opened up 10 with no problem. Then using escape to close these windows only closed the merchant and about 5 windows, the rest of the item windows where unresponsive to escape.

Merchant windows need to close when outside of a certain radius from the merchant.

Meele can open spell books, and have the spell hotbar on the lefthand side of the screen.

chat isnt reset from relogging.

There is no attack on/off messages and the gui button doesnt depress.

Goblins... wow those are huge, like 10 feet tall when i saw them and when i attacked it instantly shrunk do knee high... bounced around then disapeared. I continued to meele it thought I couldnt see it. I think it may be that they are spawned above the surface of the ground and dont "drop" down until engaged. This seems to be having an effect on them that makes the client see them as giants. After respawning they where the correct height They also kinda look like freddy mercury =)

Targets name doesnt change colors, on some other games it flashes white when targeted.

A zoneing splash screen would be great.

Having difficulty moving items around, after summoning some stuff i couldnt get it off of my cursor short of destroying it(which worked well)

looting also gave me some trouble, can't click and pick up item you have to use right click auto equip. and corpses didnt poof.

Items dont mask correctly when on the cursor when over an item inspect window. it causes a block of the window to disapear. Inspect an item so a window pops up, then pick up an item and hold it over that window.

HP on items doesnt add to characters max HP in the inventory window.. it does actually give you more HP just doesnt display it.

Combat:
Slooooow

Regen for PC's is way to fast

you can combat an NPC you arent facing

Last edited by maudigan; 07-27-2007 at 07:58 PM..
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

As long as Maudigan started a thread, I'll add the only 2 things I got so far;

1) Created a toon, logged in, and was under the world. Got spammed with "move to safe point" endlessly, so whomever was trying to help me I missed it.

2) Tried to come back, my created toon still exists but is not in my list. Used the same login infos as before.

I'll try again, but after just seeing the UI alone, I am fairly excited.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Yeah, I am noticing our toons are getting crossed, it must be a bug with the login server. As for getting stuck and such, we all should have full access to GM commands so try a #goto or #zone. Here is a list of available zones:

windszone
peshara
gurcanyons
veldona
namtarn
lelembeth
Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 PM
brownc1
Fire Beetle

Havent had a lot of time to play with this yet, but I was having some problems with zoning, I had to reboot the client everytime I zoned. Also noticed that when sitting if you /camp it is immediate. Couldnt find any mobs to kill, and I checked the #goto and #zone commands, was told that my access level wasnt high enough.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:51 AM
maudigan
Fire Beetle

there are goblins to kill in peshara, a camp near one of the zone lines.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Teppen
Banned

since its seems to have been released... where do you download it? Im an openzone user so Id like to test around with simpleclient too. If its hush hush then just PM me. thanks!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:25 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

It's closed beta for now for a few reasons. Though, I have to talk to Wind and a few others, but soon enough we'll probably be able to open it up for a few more people. Stay tuned.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:36 AM
Teppen
Banned

ah no problem, ive just been using openzone to create a few zones and was waiting for simpleclient to be released, but when i saw people posting that they had a copy i was like wtf am i blind cause i couldnt find the download link. i guess ill wait til the official release.. wish i saw a closed beta test post cause i would have signed up lol.

I have 40 some PEQ quests checked out anyways so they will keep me busy.. lots and lots of painful sql container recipes..

Senzo.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

cavedude, I tried again last night and my char select was still empty, so I created a new toon. upon returning to the char screen, my first popped up available again. So it's there, I just can't see it. Same with my new toon now.

I tried the #goto 0 0 0 and a message scrolled by that I could not see heh. Is there capability to log-to-file the chat log yet? That would help show me what's happening. I'll try #zone next time I am on.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

What account are you using? The login server seems to be completely messed up with account handling :( I'll see if I can manually get it worked out.

As for client logging, I am not sure. We'll have to ask Wind. If not, we should ask him to implement that.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:49 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

My account is ironically, johnadams.
j/k

Thanks. I'll putz around elsewhere for a few hours and try again later today.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

I setup a channel for SimpleClient on irc, simply called #simpleclient
Old 07-28-2007, 04:02 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Alright John, both your toons should be alright now.

Just to let everybody know, the client doesn't seem to let you know that it is zoning at all, so keep that in mind when you use #zone and nothing seems to be happening

Also, feel free to spawn mobs in the world for combat and such. i am not sure what races we have available but maybe Wind can help us out with that
Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Nice. I'll give it a quick try before trying to focus on actual work today ~cries~... can a man get one f'n day off, ever?

Ahh, my char select box is still empty. :(