Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Default Data Center Costs

I was doing some poking around at various costs for a "dedicated" server hosted in
data centers. I found a couple different hosts with, what I think, is not going to get
any cheaper. Both had 3.0-3.5 Xeon cpu's, 32 GB ram, SSD and 250'ish Mbps for
around $86 - $99 /mth. (allegedly "unlimited" data).
I only started considering this option recently, for the future, since it is somewhat
within my "budget", haha Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has
any better ideas ?
I have a good box at home here on a 175 Mbps connection, but I don't take it
seriously. haha
Old 05-03-2018, 08:58 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

But just to note, if I wanted to spend a few more bucks, I could have a 300/80
connection right here at home through my ISP. ($145/mth) But I have to stick
with reality of overkill vs. the reality of low population. The box I have is
dedicated on a lan with good hardware.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:19 AM
provocating
Demi-God

If any of those considerations are OVH, I would not do it. Tried them twice and had the same results each time, horrible uptime.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:22 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
If any of those considerations are OVH, I would not do it. Tried them twice and had the same results each time, horrible uptime.
Thank You, yes, one of them is OVH. I tried googling for reviews, but nothing substantial.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:32 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Been there a few times. Very strange problems there. Support was decent but since their hardware is very questionable, I would not do it again. I had a few servers wiped because of faulty raid controllers, good thing I have multiple layers of backup. Also true speed is not even close to what they post as far as your bandwidth.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:44 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

For the low population I would be expecting, what I want to do, could easily be done at home
here, but I've had a couple little problems from the ISP with their "uptime". Issues with them
are not too often, but not exactly "99.9 %" reliable. At least twice a year, my internet is down
for a few hours.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:19 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
For the low population I would be expecting, what I want to do, could easily be done at home
here, but I've had a couple little problems from the ISP with their "uptime". Issues with them
are not too often, but not exactly "99.9 %" reliable. At least twice a year, my internet is down
for a few hours.
Of course you do not want that, but twice a year is not that bad. I would just deal with the uptime, because $100 a month for that .1% is not worth it.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:37 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Long time ago, I had a server in a data center, for a different reason, but that one was a $130 /mth
trip to hell, haha. Downtime was ridiculously a few times per month. I had to pull it after 2 months.
Ruined my whole project with clients constantly complaining about no access. But in that era, all we
had was 5 Mbps ADSL available at home. Cable came later, and now we have fibre.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:56 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Nevermind, good things have happened since my last post, haha
We only have 2 providers here, but I was just talking to the "competition". They offered
me a better deal, which includes a 175/50 unlimited fibre hookup for 99/mth if I sign up
for 2 years. That fibre is right to the puter, not just "the wall", so I couldn't pass that up.
It's reliable enough to run a server on and my box is better than any "dedicated" host.