Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
steve007
Fire Beetle

Default Client Login Crash

Hi All.

Bit of an odd issue this one, could'nt seem to find anything like this anywhere else on the forums..

People are unable login to the game on charcters they have created previously. When a user gets to the character select screen and clicks the enter world, they get a black screen and a windows application/crash error message.

The can however, create a new level 1 character and all is fine..

The zone, however, before the crash shows a [0 Unknown] character logged in.. so the zone is booting and registering the connection.

Any idea whats going on here and why its only affecting certain characters?

Thanks in advance.

Steve/Bay
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM
steve007
Fire Beetle

Unhappy update

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve007 View Post
Hi All.

Bit of an odd issue this one, could'nt seem to find anything like this anywhere else on the forums..

People are unable login to the game on charcters they have created previously. When a user gets to the character select screen and clicks the enter world, they get a black screen and a windows application/crash error message.

The can however, create a new level 1 character and all is fine..

The zone, however, before the crash shows a [0 Unknown] character logged in.. so the zone is booting and registering the connection.

Any idea whats going on here and why its only affecting certain characters?

Thanks in advance.

Steve/Bay
Update: We have tried using the return home button but this only causes the client to freeze completely.. as per the above, we get a [0 Unknown] character in the zone.

I have tried moving the clients character to a different zone but this has no effect either
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Uleat
Developer

Is this a 'stock' server? Or have you guys modified the code/database?

EDIT:

If this is 'bots' related, you may want to go back and try to find the old logs for world and zone.

Check, in particular, the error logs for any entries surrounding that character's name/id.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 01-29-2014, 05:36 AM
steve007
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Is this a 'stock' server? Or have you guys modified the code/database?

EDIT:

If this is 'bots' related, you may want to go back and try to find the old logs for world and zone.

Check, in particular, the error logs for any entries surrounding that character's name/id.

Hi Uleat, thanks for getting back to us regarding this issue

The database is unmodified (Except the expansions are resticted to POP)

theres nothing in the logs at all regarding errors or the user name.. i can see on the world log that the user loads into the zone, the zone boots and the client then disconnects and leaves a [0 Unknown] character in the zone.

i have logged in myself from a different machine to check the users account, any other character works fine, just the main character which crashes the EQclient.

I have tried to move the character to a different zone with no luck, i have also tried updating the character backup to a different zone with no success. (Still getting an application error and crash)

It's really odd how we can;t retrieve that one character from the server..

Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Uleat
Developer

What is this character's bind point..Crescent Reach, per chance?

EDIT:

You will have to look up the value in the database. I can't remember if it is a field or in the profile blob...

If it's in the blob, we should still be able to do something with that.

EDIT AFTERTHOUGHT:

If this character was created before you implemented the PoP limit, and if that character had not died until
after the limit..this might be the issue..I haven't looked at the code to see if there's an override for such
an event.

Does this ring a bell?

Compilin' Dirty
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 AM
steve007
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
What is this character's bind point..Crescent Reach, per chance?

EDIT:

You will have to look up the value in the database. I can't remember if it is a field or in the profile blob...

If it's in the blob, we should still be able to do something with that.

EDIT AFTERTHOUGHT:

If this character was created before you implemented the PoP limit, and if that character had not died until
after the limit..this might be the issue..I haven't looked at the code to see if there's an override for such
an event.

Does this ring a bell?
Hi Uleat

The server has been set to POP since launch.. the character bind point is Qeynos.

I have tried deleting all the character backups and any records 'besides' the main character profile. still i'm having no luck, the character is stuck in purgatory somewhere.

I would rather not do a server restore as this would also effect everyone who has been online since the issue arose.. anything i can provide that might help with this issue? logs/screenshots?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Uleat
Developer

Does this character have a 'group_id' table entry?

If so, try deleting it and see if that works.

EDIT:

You might also look to see if any of his bots have an entry there as well.

The only other thing I can think of would be to physically change his current zone.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Uleat
Developer

I went back and re-read this thread..had forgotten about you already changing the zone...

Have you attempted to be present at the spawn point when the guy logs in this character?

It'd be interesting to know 'what' is actually spawning as the [0 Unknown] character.

I'll look around and see if I can find the code that generates that condition and work backwards.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM
jdoran
Hill Giant

Is "0 unknown" mentioned in the logs at all? (if so, please post)
Or do you see it in-game via /who
Or do you see it as a visible entity?

I haven't looked at this in a while, but I recall seeing client debug logs indicating how far a char gets into the zoning process. Perhaps there is some useful information in that file.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Uleat
Developer

I didn't think about the dbg file..good call

I'm pretty sure this 'type' of error has cropped up before.

I know that item modifications can lead to characters not being able to load.

Sometimes they result in a 'can't access memory at...' client error with crash..sometimes they get a different one.

You can also try removing inventory items to see if that allows the character to log in. (Use whatever method is best for you to replace
the items.)

(EDIT: I know you said this is a stock db..I'm thinking something to do with expansions and how the client reacts to 'standard' items...

EDIT AFTERTHOUGH: Does this player remember seeing any of his items with a 'pearl necklace' icon instead of the proper one? That's
generally a sign of unsupported items...

I don't know if a client will limit 'accepted' items to a lower limit when using expansions..anyone have input on that?)

I tried to 'emulate' the conditions listed in the previous postings and didn't run into any issues..we'd need more to reproduce this condition.

If it can be pin-pointed to a condition that we don't account for, but should..we can add a fix for it... Just need the condition...

Compilin' Dirty
Old 02-03-2014, 05:55 PM
BakaNeko77
Fire Beetle

I am having this exact same problem. When connecting from my friends server from my house with the eqemu login server my client will crash randomly if I do not zone or die I can play in the same zone however as soon as I die/camp/zone the server will show a 0 unknown in the /who all. I can then wait 20 minutes and the erronious toons will be gone. However I can pack up my pc and take it to my friends house and it will play just fine does not crash if I connect to his network and login via the eqemu login server. Is there some variable he needs to change on the server to allow me to stay connected?
Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Jquik
Fire Beetle

Sorry for the 4-year late response, but I was just trying to fix this issue and found the culprit on my server.

Within login.ini, it stated
"local_network = 192.168.74"

Having the last octet on the IP would cause the application to hang for about 30 seconds followed by a disconnected prompt. Removing the last octet resolved the issue for me, however I'm not sure if this causes any other issues.

"local_network = 192.168.74"
Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Uleat
Developer

That is (almost) exactly how we tell people to set that up..so, you shouldn't have any problems.

I always say to use that last delimiter..though, you don't seem to have problems without it.

ref: http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Windows...setup-loginini

Compilin' Dirty