Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Apocalus
Fire Beetle

Lightbulb New Project: Seeking Developer/GM Team

Hello,

We are seeking EQEmulator developer assistance with a new PEQ based server.

Custom aspects of the new server would be extremely limited, and the rule-set of the server we are looking to create will largely utilize what is already included in the base PEQ database. There is a very specific rule-set which myself and some friends would like to play through, and we feel there is a market for it out there to a small niche group of other players if its done correctly.

That being said, I'm a player of EverQuest. I'm not a developer by any means, however my profession outside of the game has me working with developers on a daily basis. I am a Systems Engineer for an IT firm, thus I can provide all server side support, hosting, connectivity, and firewall support for the server. I plan to host the server with Amazon's EC2 web services on full SSD storage, on Windows 2012 R2 servers.

What this also means is that I understand things such as setting the proper expectations, timelines, and budgeting to make any project as successful as it can be within the limits of what resources we have to work with.

Now I have already ran through a dry run getting a basic server setup, online, accessible several times now just to make sure I understood the fundamentals.

So what do I need?

I need someone who understands the process of adjusting the settings in the database, someone thoughtful and detail oriented who understands the impact one change can have on the rest of the system and how to work through those problems. There may also be a need for some minor custom development which will help us reach our goal of creating the type of server we are looking to play on.

There will be a lot of room for creative control of what is produced here if your ideas stay within the scope of the rule-set we are looking for, and what I'm looking for is a partner or two to help us get it off the ground.

We will fund everything required to make it happen, and depending on your level of experience and professionalism, that will also include your time. Should the server end up being successful, there will be further incentives.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. This is my first time putting out a request such as this, so if this is in the wrong forum section I apologize, and I hope we can move it to the proper place.

My contact information is below, and if you would like to chat I can provide my cell number and/or Mumble server information.

Thank you,

Eric

E-Mail: ApocalusEMU@gmail.com
Mumble: unconquered.typefrag.com port: 8615

Last edited by Apocalus; 11-01-2014 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Contact info
Old 11-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

There are several threads about this. As suggested before by others - I would highly recommend against openly recruiting in this fashion. Regardless of the position or duties you need fulfilled you're going to be better off using people you trust.

See: http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?So_You_...rver?&frm=Main and scroll to the section regarding "Warnings"
Old 11-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Apocalus
Fire Beetle

Thank you Leetsauce,

I definitely received several questionable e-mail responses, along with a few really great responses.

This is all still in the planning stages and my issue is right now that I do not know many of the developers or community members here who can be trusted or who has the black marks on their record.

I do appreciate the feedback from such a veteran member of the community and we will take extra special care when choosing whom to work with.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Lettsauce is right. This is always a bad idea, and I have never heard of it ending well for the server.

That said, it's your choice and your server.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Apocalus
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpious2k View Post
Lettsauce is right. This is always a bad idea, and I have never heard of it ending well for the server.

That said, it's your choice and your server.
This is good information. I appreciate all the feedback thus far this is good stuff.

That being said, I have already received e-mails from the Merit Man, Mr. Wee, and "Can I be a GM?" Joe, as outlined in the warnings section of that Wiki post. Whoever wrote that knew exactly what he was talking about.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:34 AM
bufferofnewbies
Hill Giant

That would be Wiz.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:04 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Not looking to join a team but as my sig says always willing to offer assistance to a fellow dev.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
Not looking to join a team but as my sig says always willing to offer assistance to a fellow dev.
That's the attitude!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

If it's lightly customized but mostly stock PEQ, you can add me on skype and I'll assist you with anything that you need, questions etc.

As everyone said, it's hard to get good help from a general post, most people will be like Oh jesus, he gave me #zone and #kill and wreck everything.