Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:34 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Indeed. Taking an overly powerful character and mowing down a bunch of noobs may make the PKers feel like they accomplished something, but in the grand scheme, they are weak little tools who fade from existence almost as quickly as they appeared. This type of PvPer is almost not worth noticing.

The disdain >I< personally have for PvP players in general is the trash talking. It's bad enough on blue servers to hear people boast about how awesome they are [in a video game] because they have no life... but some of the crap that comes from the Zek'ers was apalling. That whole "attitude" thing. It's like they can never say a nice thing to anyone. It's always an insult, always a challenge... and I am sure some of that comes from the PvP environment itself. Only the strong survive...

The PvPers I respect are those who have incredible skills, do their thing without making a nuisance of themselves or bringing a bad name to themselves, their guild, or their server. I know many of these players, and enjoy running with them still. In blue mode. Don't want my ass kicked.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:57 AM
paaco
Discordant

I agree with you John, I love to PvP I just get tired of the trash talking and everyone bitching the whole time I play in ooc. The Paradigma server however is not a hardcore pvp server, that was never the intention. It is a mixed pvp/pve server with a ton of unique features that you wont see on any other server. Although I have been slacking and not doing anything the past few weeks to help with development, I can say that I think everyone can enjoy it, the Hardcore PvPers can PvP and take cities if they want, and the PvE players can do their thing as well.

It's really different, there are camps that you can throw down that only effect you and your party and replenish mana and health and all kinds of neat things on the server. Not sure how much Aza wants to reveal about the neat little items like I just mentioned but there are a bunch of little things like that. I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

You can be ANY race/class combo. ( Dwarf Mage anyone? ) There are custom quests scattered around.

To keep up with the current progress of the server check this page out. You can blame the 20% Status of Class Balancing on me, I'm supposed to be in charge of that and have been slacking lately. Look for that percent to go up in the weeks leading up to our Beta Launch at the end of the month
http://www.projectf.org/wiki/wikka.p...ServerProgress
Old 01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
mrfix186
Fire Beetle

I never trash talked when I played, hell i didnt talk at all except to taunt the higher levels to hunt me and protect their lower levels , plus if the person i killed didnt got nuts, threaten, talk about being a gm, id leave them alone for few hours ;o What I enjoyed is being able to still kill in the zone while 5 or so people 20+ levels to me tried to kill me ;o
I enjoyed tying up those 5 or so people who would be killing fellow evils in the higher level areas ;o I also enjoyed the feeling that if i did /who and someone on the other team was there and was higher then me, they would attempt to kill me no matter what.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:39 AM
paaco
Discordant

Yeah I'm not sure how it is on some of the pvp servers. Only one I ever played on was Guild Wars. Was like a bunch of 12 year olds smacking each other around with their Epeens 24/7.

Just thought of another feature Aza has worked hard to implement that you will not see on another Emu server. The fear line of spells works correctly. It does not just stun you for a few seconds here, and the fear pathing actually works ( as a side note this is not 100% working in every zone, either Aza or one of our developers has got to enable fear pathing in each zone and set it up to work. Not 100% sure how many zones have it so far but I know some do work. )

Also I do not know how fear works in pvp, I assume you can fear PC's but it will have to either be a question for Aza or wait for the beta in a couple weeks.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:04 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

See mrfix, you sound like one of those PvPers I would respect because you only went out of your way to taunt people who deserved it.

I too am going to play on this server. I haven't played on many others, aside from testing a feature now and then. I can't wait.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Nancy
Fire Beetle

Its not mindless; it is war. I am not playing to spam ooc with taunts and parade around thinking im the toughest thing alive. I play to engage in exciting, adrenaline pumping battles.

PVP is the funnest way everquest can be played as it adds a superior level of danger and thrill of accomplishment. If someone goes and picks on lowbies, then they can call in for assistance which is exactly what good PVP is all about; Escalating conflicts in varied zones with varying levels of players.

Just because i was a PVP maniac, played an evil character with roleplay in mind and slaughtered noobies for sport doesn't make me a bad or uncivilized person. I was always helpful with other players, kind and respectful to anyone unless they had proven themselves to be jerks first.

Edit: I should clarify that i spent the vast majority of my PVPing vs even, higher level players or much greater numbers of players than I or my 1-2 comrades. I only usually killed noobs to raise a lynch mob in a noob zone that me and my friends could then sneakily pick apart and destroy.

If you despise some player because you think he's a worthless bastard slaying noobies, then guess what? you can do the sweetest thing and kill him yourself! And, you will feel like a million dollars when you watch his corpse collapse on the ground with a short grunt of expiration.

Think of it as though a Dragon was attacking a village of farmers. Would you be angry at the dragon because it is more powerful than the weak farmers? it is 'owning noobs' unfairly? NO, you would put together a a force and get over there and slay that dragon and enjoy doing so. Same goes for high level players attacking 'noob villages'. A PVP server is for conflict; just try and enjoy it.

Last edited by Nancy; 01-12-2007 at 09:44 PM..
Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

LOL Nancy. You describe the senseless slaughter of the innocent almost poetically. But I do see your point. Raising hatred against you and your kin by doing inhumane, inconceivable acts is in fact what breathes life into true PvP, and you are correct. Again, my disdain comes from the constant brow-beating and shit talking that happens both in and out of game.

Example (I do not recall exact details, but here's the jist); Our blue servers were merged long ago. On our forums, "Zekkers" came and talked so much smack and made life so miserable for our forum admins, they nearly shut down the forums. They spent most of their time blocking accounts and IPs to keep the community "safe" from these vile, disgusting beasts.

Btw, I do not look at EQ PvPers any differently than I look at those who play UT or other fragfest online games. It seems whenever players get into a mano-e-mano combat scenario, all sensibility goes out the window. Which is why I choose to not PvP. I am not saying they are "wrong", I am saying I avoid them because it's not my style.

The thing I think is "wrong" is taking it outside the game, and being an intolerable asshole IRL because of your in-game personna (not you, i mean "yous" in general haha).

But in the end, you are 100% correct. And this server will offer a fantastic way that I can raise your head on a pike for killing me unjustly!! /taunt on
Old 01-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Nancy
Fire Beetle

Yeah, I totally agree with you mostly. But I have a hunch that most of the shit-talking on the Zeks came from teens, and I doubt many of us eqemu users are teens.

If you want I can help you out and teach you how to fight when the server launches ~ I have a lot of experience with EQ PVP and know many tricks and ways to fight or flee.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

I have a couple guild mates that came from a zek server (they started there). They claim to be pretty good... so I might have to challenge them... to try and defeat YOU. hehe... how fun.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 AM
mrfix186
Fire Beetle

Gah, to make my setup for pvp or, pve to supply the pvp peeps gear ;o

Rng/shm/clr Vs war/shm/clr

How different is the AC/HP of top gear between Ranger and War on the server ;/

<3 bard ;o

Shadowstep song... makes you unkillable in some zoned
Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM
aza77
Hill Giant

hard to say we never compared classes and most high end content isn't finished. the beta will be a test for the code. like balance of classes, xp, rules and so on. there is already a lot of custom content and you won't find a zone that isn't customized, but the world is far away from being complete.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Gameross
Fire Beetle

Trash talking is thier way of saying, "Kill me first"
Old 01-20-2007, 02:38 PM
swish
Hill Giant

Default Sup

Hey guys,

Me and aza finally finished a working photo gallery.

I have worked for few monthes to completely customise the look of the old world of Norrath for Paradigma.
Currently, as the beta will launch, we are going to use Antonica only. I have almost completly finished customising Antonica and finished another several outer zones.

* Here is a link to the Gallery.

I will add as many more pics as I can soon.

I will also post a few more posts about other stuff on Paradigma unrelated to the codes mostly about the PvE part of Paradigma.

Enjoy the gallery,
Swish.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:20 AM
moydock
Discordant

Wow those zones look well done, nice work. This server is going to be amazing. Croup shall be there, raping the innocent. Btw Hi Gameross and Swishy. <3 joo.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM
aza77
Hill Giant

we are going to start the beta between 2nd and 9th february. for more information take a look at www.eqemu-paradigma.de
please keep in mind that the world is far from being finished at all. this beta is mostly for testing the code, balancing classes and npcs, while adding more content to the world.