Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
TheLieka
Developer

Default Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - We're Open for Business

I just wanted to drop a note to let everyone know that we've got our server, website, and forums up and running. We've kept it quiet while we were working on it, because I hate when people get your hopes up with a product that never gets delivered.

Our website is www.pwnedemu.com (really, really basic splashpage with news and a link to the forums), take a look and we hope to see you on the server.

This server will not be a "fly-by-night", gone in two months deal. We intend to run this server for a very long time. We will be tweaking and modifying it as time goes on, and as always, the PvP will be a strong force in creating and managing the content.

Here is what we're offering:

EQEmu Jargon: The Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server is a Legit, Race Teams, PvP server. You can NOT use any # GM commands to get around game dynamics (such as #zone, or #summonitem).

We have built this server with simplicity in mind. Don't expect a ton of customizations, though there will be some. This server will not be some unholy mutant baby spawned by WoW and Vanguard. We built this server to be Everquest as we remember it, and we will do our best to keep with this mentality. We don't plan on putting in a PvP points system, creating zones from scratch, or totally rewriting the loot tables. After all, if we have to give you points and gear for killing each other, you'd have more fun playing on a semi-legit bluebie EMU server (god knows there are enough of them out there).

The server offers content from Original EQ, Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, and Shadows of Luclin. There is no Plane of Knowledge or any other content from beyond the Luclin expansion. This is simply because we do not want that content on the server.

The server's pvp code mirrors the spirit of the Vallon and Tallon Zek servers (with a couple minor team balances).

There are 4 teams:
  • Team 1: Humans, Barbarians, Erudites
  • Team 2: Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves, and Frogloks
  • Team 3: High Elves, Wood Elves, Half-Elves, and Vah Shir
  • Team 4: Dark Elves, Ogres, Trolls, and Iksar

The PvP Rules are as follows:
  • You can neither attack, nor be attacked by another player until level 7
  • You can neither attack, nor be attacked by any player that is a member of your "Team" (See teams above)
  • You can neither attack, nor be attacked by another player that is 8 levels above or below your current level.
    To sum it up: You can attack (and kill) any player that is above level 6, on a different team, and +/- 8 levels from you.

The PvP Rewards are as follows:
If you are victorious in PvP, you may:
  • Loot all coin from your slain opponent's corpse
  • Loot 1 item from your slain opponent's corpse
    NOTE: You may NOT loot any Bags, NO DROP items, or any item that was equipped in your slain opponent's Primary or Secondary slots (Right or Left hand) when he met his untimely demise.

We will be working to revert many of the zones and loot tables (such as Temple of Cazic-Thule, Droga, Mistmoore etc) back to their original states. This does not mean the every item will be un-nerfed or put back into the game, but many will be.

I've gotten this question more than probably any other, so I'm going to post it here too.

Server Hardware Information:
  • Dual Core 3.2ghz Intel Pentium D
  • 4 GB DDR2 RAM
  • Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
  • RAID 1 (Mirroring) on the Hard drives
  • T1 Internet Connection
  • UPS (Backup Battery Power)
  • Database backups throughout the day
  • Currently Booting 162 Static Zones (they don't shutdown when no players are in them)
  • Angelox Classic Database, with customizations
  • The hardware is dedicated to ONLY hosting this server. This is not with a hosting company (that has 50 customers sharing one tandy desktop), and no one will have to shut it down because Mom said it's time for bed.

You will never see us asking for donations or whining about the cost of the data line, etc. I'm a Network Engineer, not a developer, and this is spare equipment that I have. The dataline is also free to us, but I won't get into the details on that.

Everyone wants to know if leveling is going to be too hard, or if leveling is going to be too easy. Leveling on EQLive can be excrutiating, and even if you're a hardcore old school PvP junkie, you're still not going to destroy anyone at level 7, so XP rates affect everyone. Rather than putting an overall XP modifier on the server, we have set "HotSpot" zones. These zones have increased xp rates, so if you are leveling up in them, you will do so faster than normal. We chose this option for two reasons:
  • We don't want the game to be so easy that there's no feeling of accomplishment for leveling up (*cough* World of Warcraft)
  • Since the Everquest world is pretty damn big (even when it's capped at Luclin), so HotSpot zones should increase the population for these areas, which should increase the likelihood for PvP encounters, and keep things interesting.
  • The current HotSpot zones are as follows:
  • All Cities and Newbie Areas (we want you to be PvP enabled as soon as possible)
    Odus
  • The Warrens
  • Kerra Isle
  • The Hole
    Antonica
  • Blackburrow
  • Befallen
  • Upper Guk
  • Cazic-Thule
    Faydwer
  • Crushbone
    Kunark
  • Dalnir
  • Chardok
  • Sebilis
    Velious
  • Crystal Caverns

Log on, have fun, and let us know what you think.

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

If your server is as classy as your introduction, it looks like it's going to kick ass. A reliable PvP server not run by punk-ass egomaniac kids is exactly what this community has been begging for

Best wishes to you and your team!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Cujef
Fire Beetle

There seem to already be some interest, seemingly moments after this post. I look forward to this server becoming populated
Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Looking at the rules, etc, this seems solid for an EQEmu PvP server.

I'm not a big fan of the whole hardcore pvp scene, but i'll definately keep an eye out; I know many of the old Sullon/Vallon/Tallon'ers have been looking for a home, and perhaps you can offer it.

Good luck to you with this project, and keep in mind, the PvP community does anything they can to win, they even go to extremes sometimes. A little too extreme, maybe.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 AM
xCrazymonx
Fire Beetle

Why do you have Kunark/ Velious Enabled?

That's alot of content to play in maybe just enable certain Kunark/Velious zones.

The problem with such a big world is that the population is small and the PvP encounters become more rare, especially with no Translocators, we have to rely on getting around on our own.

And, as any class that cant port, or + Movement Speed, welcome to sitting somwhere for eternity. =(
Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Jonathan5
Sarnak

Omg, this is what I was looking for.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Ellie
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrazymonx View Post
Why do you have Kunark/ Velious Enabled?

That's alot of content to play in maybe just enable certain Kunark/Velious zones.

The problem with such a big world is that the population is small and the PvP encounters become more rare, especially with no Translocators, we have to rely on getting around on our own.

And, as any class that cant port, or + Movement Speed, welcome to sitting somwhere for eternity. =(
For everyone who has been complaining about a lack of a good "classic" type pvp server this is your chance to play on one. The server is very solid and I am having a blast so far. The more people that start playing regularly the better it will get.

EQ up to velious was the best time period imo, expecially for pvp. Yes there are a lot of zones, but as the post says, the implementation of hotspots for exp concentrate the population to a cerain extent in specific areas.

Like I said, those that have been wanting a "classic" type server for pvp, this is your chance.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 AM
NewGaanon
Fire Beetle

this is more of a classic server rather than pvp, Im going to continue to hold out until an accellerated xp max level 50 server with pvp rewards comes out.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Junger
Fire Beetle

Tallon Zek was not 1 item loot. It was coin only.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Wizzel
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junger View Post
Agreed. For a server to be sucessful it has to bring something new to the table. Besides from the fact you say your server will be around a while, it has to be fresh or somehow different to spark real interest.

Good luck.

-Wizzel
Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
TheLieka
Developer

Quote:
I cannot speak for Tallon, since I didn't start there, but I assure you that Vallon Zek began as 1 item loot.

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 08-17-2007, 12:59 PM
monoxideftw
Sarnak

i played on this server already and its good but i think mistmoore should be added as a hot zone
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Ellie
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLieka View Post
I cannot speak for Tallon, since I didn't start there, but I assure you that Vallon Zek began as 1 item loot.
They both started as 1 item loot. It was around 2000 when they changed it to coin only. I remember because when they were going to come out with the decision to be coin or coin+1 item I was sitting in Lfay on Tallon grinding away and someone made a character named Coinz and another person made a character named Lootz and they kept dueling each other This was back when the chat message for duels was still global, and the message "Lootz has just defeated Coinz in a duel to the death" kept popping up. Despite the vocal side who wanted it to remain 1 item loot, the whiners won out and they changed it to coin only.

Before they changed it we used to have 2 sets of gear, pvp gear and pve gear. I was a Wood Elf, and when we would go raid the Gnomes I would stop by the bank and put on my pvp gear first. That way if you died you didn't lose any of your leet equip (i.e. your Crushbone Tunic haha)~ That, and you got really good at bagging your nice stuff when you got jumped by a ganking group. Ahh those were good times.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Ellie
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzel View Post
Agreed. For a server to be sucessful it has to bring something new to the table. Besides from the fact you say your server will be around a while, it has to be fresh or somehow different to spark real interest.

Good luck.

-Wizzel
Well, tbh this server has brought something new to the table. This is the one server where I can play EQ like it was originally in it's pvp heyday- at the time of the Velious expansion, the last Verant produced expansion. Most of the people who I played EQ with originally agree that the Velious expansion was somewhat of a "watershed" time for EQ.

Moreover, the server is legit and classic, the server is on a great box, it's got a great connection, and it has a dedicated group running it. As far as pvp rewards go, yeah if done well they can be nice, but a true pvper doesn't need any more of a reward than the simple satisfaction of killing another player~
Old 08-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Jonathan5
Sarnak

Rallos Zek had item loot. I'm not sure about the others. Item loot is all the reward a true EQ PvPer needs .