Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Default Freedom Server (New server)

I just opened up a new server on a new dedicated server I purchased. I have an increased regeneration and exp rate setup and so far im planning on allowing it to be used more or less like a sandbox... I have #zone, #level, #summonitem and #searchitem enabled for all. Is there any kind of demand for a server like this?

I hope to provide some buffing npc's in specific areas, and some other custom changes, but for the mos part, I want to keep it true to the EQ world. What I could really use is a load test, and maybe some feedback to make sure people are able to connect I'm planning on running some static zones as well, mike the strarting cities, and some of the more favorite zones.

Any questions can be sent to me at haywards6@verizon.net and I will be doing everything I can to make sure its open 24/7 with a nightly backup.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 AM
So_1337
Dragon

How much did you purchase it for? $1.05? I hear that's the going rate on freedom.

In any case, yeah, there's a demand for servers like that. And who knows, you might wind up tinkering with it and decide to make it something a little more involved on your part. I know that was the case for me. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

[QUOTE=So_1337;152989]How much did you purchase it for? $1.05? I hear that's the going rate on freedom.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you meant by that statement... I bought a server "Hardware" and put the emulator on it to run around the clock, I didn't buy a database from anyone. Is there already a server named Freedom running? If that's the case I can change the server name. I just want to make sure I understand whay you're talking about here.

I see a lot of servers, but I don't know how many are up all the time.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 PM
spoon
Sarnak

I don't think he was talking about your hardware/software. I think he was making a joke about freedom being cheap.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 PM
So_1337
Dragon

Forgive me. It was a Team America reference (a film by the same gentlemen who do South Park and a few other projects). They usually do songs, one of which goes along the lines of "Freedom isn't free, it costs folks you and me. And if you don't chip in your buck oh five, who will?"

Didn't intend to hijack, just thought I'd slip in a little joke and wish you luck =)
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
trevius
Developer

LOL, I love that song! Haven't heard it in a while though. When he said "Buck O' Five", I always just thought of it as 105%, so I didn't even make the connection with your comment lol.

Not to derail the thread any further, I wanted to mention that it sounds like you are running the server from your house. When you said "dedicated server", I think most people think you are talking about paying for a data-center hosted server. No biggie, but I figured I would mention it. I was wondering how you were paying hundreds per month just to have a non-legit server lol. Didn't realize until you mentioned buying the hardware that it is probably your home PC that you are dedicating as a server.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward6 View Post
Is there any kind of demand for a server like this?
That's the main reason I put up "A work in progress". And seeing as how there are nearly 4000 individual characters in the database since I put it up a little more than a year ago, I would say others like the idea also.

Unfortunately, everything else is taking up a lot of my time, so I haven't really been able to put much effort into updating & furthering the server, which is probably also why the max number of people I've seen logged in at once was around 10. There's also not a large amount of retention, meaning once players get to a certain point (mainly with PoP flagging), then end up going to another server or something else altogether.

One thing I would recommend to make the experience easier on those new to the server would be merchants with starting gear, that way you don't have to spend an hour finding good items to use.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck with the server, and if you have any questions about running a non-legit, feel free to ask

My Contributions to the Wiki
Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 PM
lanileb
Sarnak

Sounds like you're making a Krusher's Semi-Legit server 2.0! Yea, there's demand for a server like that. Krusher's was really popular back in the day until he had to take the server down. If you need help with some of the programming parts of it I can help out. I was one of the head dev's on Krusher's for a few months. Wish I still had the quests I implemented on there though...got a new computer and now I don't have the files anymore.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM
krusher
Sarnak

Lan... I can get you the files. The reason i took the server down was problems with the code in as i could'nt run multi zone servers. I still have all the data and quests so PM me and i will give you access to DL the quests. I am working on getting the server back up later this summer.

Krusher...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanileb View Post
Sounds like you're making a Krusher's Semi-Legit server 2.0! Yea, there's demand for a server like that. Krusher's was really popular back in the day until he had to take the server down. If you need help with some of the programming parts of it I can help out. I was one of the head dev's on Krusher's for a few months. Wish I still had the quests I implemented on there though...got a new computer and now I don't have the files anymore.
hmmm, I probably could use some help. Aside from a little knowledge about writting quests and some database work, I wasn't really planning on making too many changes. My big issue with live EQ is speed of combat, so I hope to make some minor tweaks to min/max damage and probably going through the stats on all pets. I know people get bored with it when they are max level and get all the gear they want, but I was hoping to plan some sceduled zone pops and things like that. Maybe add some really cool click effect items that don't imbalance anything, but add a level of fun.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

[QUOTE=AndMetal;153038]
One thing I would recommend to make the experience easier on those new to the server would be merchants with starting gear, that way you don't have to spend an hour finding good items to use.

QUOTE]

I like this a lot! I hate going through and looking up gear also :( It's not so bad as a GM since you can just go to CSHOME and get all the pretty GM stuff. I'll probably just start the players out with a certain amount of plat and then make the items cost a little bit. I was also thinking about making everyone start in the same zone, maybe PoK to help keep everyone close by and maybe add a common zone teleporter and a translocate PoK stone... just ideas, its tough trying to make a less populated game feel more populated. NPC buffers will help with that as well.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:47 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Not to derail the thread any further, I wanted to mention that it sounds like you are running the server from your house. When you said "dedicated server", I think most people think you are talking about paying for a data-center hosted server. No biggie, but I figured I would mention it. I was wondering how you were paying hundreds per month just to have a non-legit server lol. Didn't realize until you mentioned buying the hardware that it is probably your home PC that you are dedicating as a server.
It's a spare computer I put together just for this reason, and it's dedicated to running this server only. I hope to make good use of it by running some static zones, and hopefully a good number of players. Mostly it's just a sandbox and I hope people will check it out and enjoy themselves. I've been leveling up a Necro on it to test, and it's going quite well.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:59 AM
bowmaster
Discordant

server still called freedom or has changed?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmaster View Post
server still called freedom or has changed?
I took it down untill I get that figured out... I think there may be a server with that name already. I'm also doing some quick changes to pets in the npc table. I'm doing the basic update that will update HP and min/max damage... Once I have that completed I'll bring it back up and leave it up.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
lanileb
Sarnak

That'd be great Krusher, thanks. If you get the server back up and running, definitely let me know. I have nothing else to do this summer, the last day at my summer job is next week since football two-a-days start back up so I'll have plenty of time for scripting! I still wanna finish that 4 mini-boss/1 big boss scripted event in plane of time I was working on.