Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Spell Support

Spell Support Broken Spells? Want them Fixed? Request it here.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
enkendu
Fire Beetle

Hey trev, if its not too much to ask, you wouldnt happen to know if there is a way to setup a patch server so that all the clients that play on my server can download the edited spells_us.txt files? when i update them?

or even an IP updater? http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...t=auto+updater i looked at this alot but i cant post on this thread to ask there for some reason, and all the links are dead there, but i am very interested in something like this.

sorry to nag all the time, i just like building a server really, it takes alot of learning and i enjoy it.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
trevius
Developer

I know a patcher can be setup, and I think there may be a link to download one from sourceforge somewhere. I have never messed with it personally. Running a public server, you couldn't use a patcher, and really if you are just sending the spells file, a simple link for players to download it should be simple enough. Most people just host the file on their website and link the website in the MOTD for players to reference.

Using a patcher to send EQ files may be considered illegal, especially if you send certain files like eqgame.exe, zone files and probably most other files that aren't just plain text.

If you are planning to allow players play publicly on your server, you are better off just setting up a public server so you don't have to mess with mini-login stuff. As of right now, I am not aware of any good public alternative to the public login server. It sounds like you are wanting to setup something similar to what Shards of Dalaya uses. They aren't affiliated with the EQEmu project, so you may be able to find out more about that from their website.

There may be alternates to the current public login server eventually, but other than mini-login, I don't think there are any other options right now.

I only use public login, so I can't really be of much help in anything other than that. Though, maybe some of the private server admins can be of more assistance.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
enkendu
Fire Beetle

Thanks for you help trev, it is much appreciated, im not running a public server at the moment and i dont really want to, i just have mostly friends and family on my server, i only have about 35 accounts or so that play, but i know everyone of them in person, i'll have to look into putting up a link for them to download it, some of them are not savy when it comes to this stuff,

would it be ok if i linked your webpage that you have setup for the spell_us.txt? i dont have a webpage or anything like that. i will link your download page to them if that is ok with you, but i dont want to impose on you or anything