Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

Now that I have had a chance to mess around with your EOC, I'm on board to help in any way I can on this.

Your EoC has completely changed the way server editing can be done(at least for me), and the importing/exporting of tables or even entire databases via the EOC could revolutionize how EqEmu operates as a community.

Edit: Why aren't people tripping over themselves trying to make this work?
Old 05-19-2014, 02:27 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetsauce View Post
Edit: Why aren't people tripping over themselves trying to make this work?
Because the ones it will really benefit have no idea what it really means.

Also, people come and go in cycles. Fairly slow cycle right now IMO for the EQEmu community.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

I was stuck using heidi to do most of my editing because of some stupid network issue up until this week. When I fixed it and logged into EOC for the first time my jaw literally dropped. If I had that reaction, others probably will too. Could we maybe add that to the start-up guide, or something like that? Perhaps advertise it a little better within the community? Or am I wasting time going down that route because everyone is already using it, but our community is shrinking faster than a startup on Akkadius' project actually starting?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:55 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

What in the fuck are you actually saying in your last sentence
Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

My mind is full of fuck after reading that last sentence.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

What in the actual hell are you saying?

Maybe you should consult KinglyKrab before making yourself look like an idiot.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

@Maze_EQ,

HAHAHA!!! That meme Kicks man!

But...yeah, I have to wonder what he meant myself!

Akkadius, you kick ass! Serious thanks for all the hard work!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:30 AM
knowom
Discordant

EoC isn't exactly a closely guarded secret on these forums. I found it just fine like 6 months ago and it was newer and less widely talked about. I really don't get where your coming from plenty of us on EQemu have mentioned EoC on a fairly regular basis. On top of that it has it's own forum section, is listed on the wiki, and is right in Akkadius's forum signature. Short of flashing taunt button that says click here it practically couldn't be more obvious and well advertised. Heidi SQL also isn't exactly entirely replaced by EoC it's got it's own strong suits both are just tools. #30YEARSLATER #ANGRYFISTSHAKING #DAMNPUNKKIDS #GETOFFMYFUCKINGLAWN

Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 AM
vsab
Discordant

Although I don't really "get" the last sentence it doesn't look like he's attacking Akka so I think the reaction is a bit harsh :P

I *think* he's saying that the community is dwindling so the demand to make the universal importer/exporter won't be enough.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

It wasn't me attacking Akkadius at all. I see now why one would jump that conclusion because I specifically mentioned him working on his own tools. Apologies. It could have worded better.

Maze: No one, especially me, will ever give a shit what you think. How are you not banned every 3 minutes? ( I have a message in my inbox of this kid telling me "we could've had something awesome" lolololol***)

Vsab nailed it. What I was asking is: Is our community shrinking faster than this EOC connect is being developed? Is that why the universal import/export isn't already in place? These 2 were the very first questions I asked myself upon seeing it.

Granted it is not a secret, I didn't come across it until literally a week ago, and I've been around the EqEmu scene for awhile. I never went out of my way to look for it, but it was never mentioned in any of the newb guides I followed to start my server.

***http://tinypic.com/r/1072ccz/8

Last edited by Leetsauce; 05-20-2014 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Edited for reference.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

I don't get where the community shrinking perception is coming into place. We've got more people working on projects simultaneously then I've ever seen before.

We've got some serious shit underway, you all think the EoC is the bees knees. We're working on a 3D WebGL Editor that you will be able to load up zones visually and manage/edit/create all of your spawns physically. Be able to drag and drop NPC positions, npc pathing grids, door positioning, object positioning and all sorts of shit real-time. Now THIS if anything will only explode the creative potential.

The new Wiki has been helping out massively to serve as a medium to reduce the barrier to entry into dabbling in this project and we're working on improving all of that.

The reason there isn't more tools in EoC isn't a community thing, it's about time and justification for something. Tools don't just pop up out of my ass, I have tons of things to do and when I put the time into something like that I want it to be justified.

I know in my mind what I am proposing in this thread will be huge, especially if you combine it with the spoiler of a project I'm working on with another developer (Tabasco) and most likely others when things get to a certain point - that we will be looking at even a larger community maybe more in the developer sense, which overall brings value to the community. I don't see any issues with that.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Cfuson
Fire Beetle

Oh damn, i cant even imagine making an eq server with something that resembles WC3 editor, thats pretty fucking amazing. Would be pretty niffty to drag and drop NPC's right on to the terrain.

We would see so many better customized servers then we currently have if this 3dWebGL editor works. Instead of the seeing the same monsters in every single zone, which (usually) means just a slight name change to "customize it", we would see people putting more effort into customizing there server and put different enemies in varies places. Imagine making a zone like crushbone with mini Innoruuk's (caster) and Cazic Thule's (melee) as normal mobs. This just opens up so many posibilities, and it can be done so much faster then doing all the coding that is required at the moment.

That's one of the reasons i really enjoyed Akkadius's old Blood of the Akkadian server, He had for the most part, customized the hell out of that server and if he had this 3dWebGL program it would of been easier to make.

TLDR: I hope to see this "3dWebGL" working soon.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 AM
vsab
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
I don't get where the community shrinking perception is coming into place. We've got more people working on projects simultaneously then I've ever seen before.
I'm wondering if the devs should have a "Work in Progress" page? Github has some of the info but in a lot of cases things are being worked on that the non devs have no clue about (although some of it isn't whizz-bang so they probably don't care)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Here are some early early teasers of the 3DWebGL Editor - IE the future greatest fucking tool you will ever use.
  1. Basic NPC's being loaded into squares.
  2. 3D Navigation

City of Mist

Crushbone: Main Gate

Plane of Air

Last edited by Akkadius; 05-21-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 PM
knowom
Discordant

Akkadius I'm curious about this new tool. Will the box's show NPC names at some point? I assume they'll be editable for stuff like X, Y, Z, and facing coordinates among other stuff. It seems like it could be difficult to tell which direction the boxes are facing, but this is a teaser so maybe you have plans in the works to address that like changing the hue color on the box's front face lighter or dark.