Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:12 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Default So what do the EQLive'ers have to say about Emu?

From the SOE Forums:

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/...ssage.id=76008
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 AM
knightz
Fire Beetle

Good read, some pretty obtuse views, but it is to be expected I guess.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:09 AM
solid11
Discordant

So do the live devs or admin NOT want to post their opinions on the forums about eqemu? I did some searches from your link rangerdown, and didn't see any comments from the devs on what they thought. Would really like to see some thoughts from them, would be a good laugh. Kinda turning a blind eye to the whole thing it looks like to me, like the black sheep in the family. You know they're there but you don't wanna talk about them.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I don't expect any SOE employees to respond on that thread, as I'm quite certain no dev would be allowed to say anything other than some "official" stance. It does give you an opinion though on what others think of the emu project.

As for "stealing business" as one poster there alleges -- I think if anything, EQEmu has given SOE a few more months subscription from me than they otherwise would've gotten, as I reup my account from time to time for packetcollecting, to check out a new feature EQLive just added, or to see exactly how a specific mechanic works. Some of the members of the EQLive board are flat out wrong about all the players here wanting only a non-legit "everyone's a level 70 GM who can #summonitem" server. I think Guildwars' short return, and WR and S2K's long-established presence here, (Edit: and the growing popularity of KMRA) shows that a bunch of people are here for an ALTERNATIVE EQ experience.

I agree with the one guy who said that if anything, eqemu makes you realize just how difficult coding a game like EQ can be
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.

Last edited by RangerDown; 04-12-2005 at 06:17 PM..
Old 04-13-2005, 06:29 AM
Rogean
Administrator

I was gonna post something, but You need an active EQ Subscription to post, and I'm definitly not posting under my all access account
Old 04-13-2005, 10:38 AM
D0rkforEq
Sarnak

Aggreed Rog if I loged in as my account I would be slaped with a ban/sus and I rather not do that cause I use EqAim to talk to some friends that are cool :/.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Xiao
Sarnak

Just from talking to random EQ players, most seem to think the Emu is just a computer-crashing piece of shit or a tool to explore zones. They're definetly wrong on the first one, but I can see where alot of guild leaders and officers and just curious little people could find the Emu useful for plotting raids, groups, or just enjoying the scenery.

P.S. Nice sig D0rk
Old 04-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Fajo
Sarnak

Hey guys been a wile sence i posted Last....

Anyways Intresting views but when it comes right down to it mostly why EMU's seem to exist is becuse people 1# dont want to pay SOE for the dumbarse Service #2 They like to mess with EQ or feel like God from time to time #3 They cant Stand the changed to EQ that SOE has changed sence they got there full grasps on it sence PoP. those seem to the most viewed so far as for posting there thats a Slap your ass with a ban Instant if SoE knew you were on a Emu =p
Old 04-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajo
Hey guys been a wile sence i posted Last....

Anyways Intresting views but when it comes right down to it mostly why EMU's seem to exist is becuse people 1# dont want to pay SOE for the dumbarse Service #2 They like to mess with EQ or feel like God from time to time #3 They cant Stand the changed to EQ that SOE has changed sence they got there full grasps on it sence PoP. those seem to the most viewed so far as for posting there thats a Slap your ass with a ban Instant if SoE knew you were on a Emu =p
The only reason I'm here is I like the community, and daily I'm learning new things in C++ looking through the server code.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Stealth_raptor
Hill Giant

It's funny to read what half of them think. If I had of heard of EQEmu while I was playing on EQLive I probably would have come checked it out and made the switch. I liked EQ but didn't play it often enough to want to pay for it.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:05 PM
A_Random_EQLive_Player_01
Fire Beetle

Default Response from EQ Players about EQEmu

I'm a current EQ player and i love playing the emu, it's a great break from AA grinding and raiding all the time, it brings me back to the old days of grouping in places i haven't been to in ages.

It's great to go back to a bunch of these zones and just f around with awesome gear and then go back to regular EQ. It's amazing to go to all the old raiding zones that ZERO people actually go to anymore and kill stuff there.

Anyone who says EQEmu is for losers and lamers just hasn't looked the people who do this stuff, the admins and devs for EQEmu do probably as much work as regular programmers for things that they may or may not get paid for just cause they want to do it and it benefits a bunch of people who enjoy their hobby. Do they have any idea how hard it is to set up the servers and how much it costs to run them? (I don't, but i'm sure it's a lot more than just an internet connection, plus all the programming knowledge you have to have to keep everything up to date for people and keeping everything working)

/rant off (sorry)
Old 05-11-2005, 01:48 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

The technical side of the server is just half the battle. And if you're really serious about running a server that you expect dozens of players to play, I dare say it's the easier half.

We've had several extremely popular servers with very technically knowledgeable people running them, up and disappear from the very same issues that plague pay-for MMO services (balance, content, "people" issues, and so on).

One of the famous PvP servers run by a pair of ex emu devs was abruptly shut down after too many players felt that a couple of the GM's were corrupt and untrustworthy.

Another server that has enjoyed a large following for the past several months is about to make a very controversial decision with what direction it wants to go in the future, and if this decision is not made with the utmost care and consideration, it could spell the unfortunate end of that one as well.

There are quite a few servers out there that are content to just run with 10-15 people at prime time (and sometimes not even that). For those that are ambitious enough to try for a server with a population beyond that, I have to admire not only the work they put in to get it set up, but the issues they have to deal with on a day to day basis.

And it gives you a window into what the game companies have to deal with constantly too. The very same people play here, just in smaller proportions
Old 05-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Sarepean
Discordant

I think I'm glad a few of them haven't looked more recently at this stuff. Like the guy who said quests were practically non-existant--- wow, well, I was on the quest team for a while (was cut off for a few months from the Emulator world) and, when I left, they had quite a few, if even probably only a small percentage.

And, on another note, it won't cost $10k in hardware to run a good Emulator server. Heck, I'd say what would run you more than anything else would be the connection you put that server on.

While I agree that a stupid GM could ruin the experience for a playerbase, I've met a lot of very skilled people that have made the experience more enjoyable to me than SoE or Verant was ever able to do.

I also tend to agree that some people like pulling things apart and figuring out how they work. I'm just glad we have a few very skilled people doing it and not, say... me. =P So thanks, guys, we really do appreciate your hard work on this project.

And anyone looking to Everquest Emulator as the deathblow to the Everquest world has some denial issues. The expansions are being released for Everquest so fast nowadays that it's almost like SoE has known for some time that EQ was going to die out when EQ2 came out. I honestly don't believe EQEmu has had much to do with Everquest's death at all. Everquest became less fun for me the moment that they added PoK. No one HAD to see the world or know their way around when that happened. It pretty much made classic extinct, which was a shame since it was such a beautiful world. Then, they added LDoN... and suddenly, the classic zones were booming again with people of all levels--- running through, killing things you had been camping for hours, and other highly annoying stuff. SoE ruined Everquest for me and I wouldn't be paying them now regardless of the EQEmu project, and I'm fairly confident in saying that I'm not the only person that feels this way.

So thanks to everyone that works hard on this project to help it succeed and grow. It's so much more appreciated than I think you realize.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Yisasben
Fire Beetle

Location: Owensboro, KY (it's close to IN, so don't call me a hick please!)

Orignally posted in EQ's files by Treeslayer:
Basically, one Non-professional can change any or all events in the game. Orc pawns might drop Anguish loot, or Emperor Crush might have 2 million HP.

And this is different from the Stormhammer (legends) server how? O, we don't whine about it while we play like they do...
Old 05-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Not to mention the fact that there will be custom servers with NON-SOE custom content (zones and more). I predict that within 12 months (tops) there will be several EQEmu servers that have entirely original zones (i.e., do NOT originate from SOE) that only EQEmu players will be able to enjoy. I also predict that custom weapons will be around by then, at the very least. I don't know if anyone is working on player housing, but from a purely technical standpoint there is absolutely nothing preventing it. The tools are there to make it happen.

Who knows? If Daeken has enough time (or better yet, can recruit coders to help him) EQEmu may even have its own client.