Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > Simple Client

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 AM
LordRathgil
Banned

Default Questions

Is this project being updated any longer or supported? If not is there the option of perhaps transfering it to other developers? Ive been using it as best i can with the zone crash bug to work on the ingame content of my project while i wait for the client dev to work his magic so i was just wondering

Or atleast opening the source i mean as i understand it the emu devs wanted it closed to prevent cheating? This makes no sense since SC stores all the packet structs for the servers in plain text files that anyone can edit or work with
Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I have to admit that I'm pretty burned out at the moment. Check your PM's...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Actually it is to prevent cheating, but not of the packet-mangling type:
- making invisible mobs visible
- flying around the zone rather than colliding with walls
- levitating at will

Basically the server doesn't check anything with respect to what the client can see or the client's movement, and these are ways that someone could cheat if he could recompile the client. If it wasn't for that, I'd have opened the source the day I released it. I'm still considering it, but I haven't decided yet. I would like to hear real input from interested parties--publicly--on it before I decide.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

You know i actually hadnt considered that bit of it, But then again im usually more worried about network security then client side so that was my fault.

BTW one of the other devs on my project suggested you take a look at the stairs collision code ( Seems the client treats stairs as ladders)

I have no idea what the zoning bug I have is its like the client just stops doing its thing. now and again the server will get so far as to list the client in the new zone but the client never really makes it part of it was that all the included zones are marked 3rd party in the db ( Is zone proxy required for SC?)
Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Richardo
Banned

Deleted stupid argument posts, don't bring them up in another section either. (Settle your issues elsewhere.)

Last edited by Richardo; 07-09-2008 at 03:45 AM..
Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

Thanks to whoever removed the IP.

Anyway dont think that many people use it to be honest possibly due to the bugs. I personally hope it gets opened up at the very least itll allow us few who do use it the chance to fix the bugs ourselves
Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

5 minute editing policy bah! LOL thanks Richardo

I mean to say that if your burned out and it doesnt currently work with the latest servers anyway cheating really isnt that much of an issue Atleast i dont think it would be. with so few people using it i think the benefit of it being opensourced would be better then the possible cheating aspects
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

ZoneProxy isn't required for SC. There must be a bug somewhere, but it's hard for me to diagnose since I haven't had any problems. The problem with the stairs is that they're just a little too high for the way I handle collision avoidance. I put an ellipsoid around the player, and where it hits the edge of a step it slides along it, but since the ellipsoid is taller than it is wide it makes you stop a bit. I've spent a lot of time tweaking the collision avoidance code, and I'm thinking that it probably needs some sort of special handler for steps, but it wouldn't be at all easy I think without really slowing things down. Another possibility is tweaking the ellipsoid, maybe make it shorter, I don't know.

Richardo, what do you think? Should I just open the client source up? Scorp? I'd really like to hear from people who have been around a while as well as people who have built servers.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

now see that is what i was thinking the problem is. something to do with the height of the stairs in relation to the shape representing the player.

Ive tried everything i can try for the zone problem without lookinga t the code itself if you dont have problems then perhaps i need to ask you about your particular setup so that we can find the difference i have it running on my c Drive in the root of c running windows xp sp2 mysql 4.0.26 perl 5.8 and i followed the readme i can login and get into the first zone fine but upon a ztz ingress it just crashes
Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Richardo
Banned

WindCatcher, I like your project you had going. If released open source, I think it would be very beneficial considering the young talent available in the EQEMU community. Many people have walked through EQEMU and have dreamed of making more than just another eqemu server. Honestly WindCatcher, if you want my honest opinion. I think releasing it would be a great idea! Everyone who makes an eqemu server (in my opinion) wants to make a game that people enjoy but are always limited to certain road blocks. (Distributing files, etc.) SimpleClient really simplifies this process (pun intended.) and if we just had more helping hands to help build and develop this project.. It could really grow a lot. WindCatcher, I am certainly pro-releasing SC. If you need more hosting for SC, I can certainly lend you my bandwidth.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

What zone were you going to? Were you walking out the zone exit, or using #zone? One thing you should look at is the server windows: for some reason, if it can't find a zone in your DB, it sends you to arena, which will NOT work with SC since the zone isn't there (unless you create an arena zone and add it to your DB).

Well, that's one vote for releasing it (and you all know my opinion -- I **really** want to release the source and be done with it).
Old 07-08-2008, 08:06 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

I tried walking i tried GM Command ot every zone all crash its reallly wierd when i log in it puts me in the right place if it gets that far sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt but its every zone included in the dB you put in the download walking or GM commands
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

releasing it is my vote as well as I understand the project it is meant to give people the abbility to make their own whole new game which would be really hard without the source and or regular updates and fixes, opening the source will allow people to one make their own version of the game and two allow the community to fix bugs and further develop the client
Old 07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
kfrench16
Fire Beetle

My vote for opensource release as well. I'd really like to see how you communicated back and forth between the world and zone servers
Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

anyone know if theres a way to turn the gui fade off?
Closed Thread