Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bots

Development::Bots Forum for bots.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 AM
jakaleca
Fire Beetle

Default Can Bots be created/shared per Account?

HI-

Such that any and all toons which share an account can summon them and use them pretty much as they are now?

Main benefit is saving time and database size, also would allow more rapid bot gear-ups if any played char on a given account could summon and add/subtract inventory items that drop.

There has been a grouping/zoning issue for a while now and associating bots in the DB with account names rather than character names might help improve "group bugging"

Can see this used as an exploit to transfer NO DROP items between characters on the same account IF server config is set to allow NO DROP items to be given/removed from bots, but that's perhaps a small price to pay for a smaller database, players keeping their bots capabilities and socials the same across the board.

Also could easily put in a warning, "if you attempt to remove this <xyz> it will be destroyed"- which for players improving their bots gear "auto-destroy" code would probably be welcome.

Only other possible sploit (or basic issue really) i can see might be when a low level character spawns bots which are decked in high level gear that has "recommended" and "required" levels- do we let the bots keep all their items and ignore Rqd Lvl but allow Recd lvl?

I can envision this happening if there is a will or community desire, and truly believe the benefit of 'sharing' bots between toons on a given account may be fairly easy, I dunno. Has this come up before?

It'd be nice to actually develop and personalize bots for a change instead of resorting to names like CLRone, CLRtwo, Tank, Offtank, ENC_ etc etc

Comments welcome and appreciated

Thanks All
Old 02-28-2019, 07:57 PM
John C
Sarnak

I actually would enjoy playing around with that as well. I agree that it doesn't seem overly difficult to change the bot's Owner ID to be your Account ID instead of a Character ID when the bot is created, spawned, or saved. And because there are so many "slots" people could still create character specific bots if they chose to do so. There would likely be a few unexpected wrinkles that required attention, but it is certainly doable.

All that said, it would definitely require code changes and I doubt it would be a priority. But I would share bots if that were possible.