Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2019, 09:00 PM
merlock
Fire Beetle

Default Looking to assemble an open source Vanilla EQ Server Team

Hey Everyone,

I have been lurking a while and am currently working on an open source Vanilla EQ server. Currently in the process of going through each zone and removing out of era spawns. Then going to remove out of era drops especially defiant, etc. I have a pretty decent and slim version of classic-ized titanium client I'm working with right now.

I can fund it, I can buy a professional server and pay for hosting. I can even pay for people helping out.

I am a design engineer by trade and I have a passion for true game design and long term support on how to improve a game over time, not just inflate it.

Anyway I want to start with Vanilla as a clean slate and simply improve it. Not progression or anything, simply improve the game. Things like tuning hot zones to keep every zone relevant, new items that enhance the game but stay perfectly in balance, etc. Fix bugs that have plagued the game forever, improve underused spells and items and classes, host GM events, etc.

My goal is not to get donations. My goal is to preserve Vanilla EQ and continue on its legacy in the way it should have been, by improving the game not just throwing new content at it. I have no hope or aspiration of ever even breaking even in donations. I know that will not happen nor would I want it to. This is just a big part of my life's work and I will pursue it until the end. This is not about me reliving the Nostalgia. I have had more than my fair share of that already. This is about Game Design. Games have only been around a few dozen years and true Game Design has not even come close to where it needs to be.

Anyway if you want to help out I would love that! I can show you what I know if you want or you can probably teach me a lot. Whether you want to run a website, forum, server, do coding, database work, server work, whatever. Lets work together and make this 10x better than I could ever do on my own.